Topics

A note on ballot processing

Irene Dondley

My husband was an election worker today and he said there are a lot of people who have received their ballots, but are coming in to do early in-person voting. He thought some people were doing this because they thought it was a better way to ensure that their ballots were counted. Early in person ballots and any ballot that is put in the mail or dropped off in the box outside the Town Office building are handled in exactly the same way. Early voting in-person ballots are not tallied right away.

If you choose to vote in person, rather than use the ballot that was mailed to your house, keep in mind that you will have to see the warden so the warden can call the Town Clerk's office to let them know you have changed your mind. You will be asked to put the ballot that was mailed to you in the box outside the Town Office building and mark it spoiled.

If you are concerned about whether your ballot is received, you can always check online to make sure it is being processed.

I dropped off my ballot in the blue box and I am happy to note that it has been accepted.

image.png

--Irene

JJ Krawczyk

Just to tack onto Irene's post... Covid numbers are going up again in Massachusetts. We should do everything we can to slow down / stop that.  If you already have a mail-in / absentee ballot, please consider the people you will have to come into even distant contact to vote in person plus the extra effort they have to make because you are changing your mind. I urge you to use that ballot you already have and drop it off in the drop box. Your ballot will be included in the numbers that are reported on Tuesday night (they are all tabulated on election day, which is possible because the absentee ballots and the "day of election" ballots are exactly the same).

JJ Krawczyk

--
Visit TurboVote to check your voter registration status, register to vote, apply for an absentee ballot, and sign up for election reminders. Pass it on!

PK Shiu

I have to say that dropping off the mail-in ballot at the collection box outside of town hall is the easier way. I was extra lucky that both times the town clerk happened to be there to empty the collection box so I gave her the ballot "in person". As Irene has pointed out -- that mail-in ballot that you received then needs to be "cancelled" if you do in person voting -- extra work for everyone.

P.K.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM JJ Krawczyk <John.J.Krawczyk@...> wrote:

[...]

seth_silverman

I early voted mistakenly thinking that my vote would be processed at that time, but to reiterate what others have been saying, there seems to be no difference if you already have a mail-in ballot in hand.  For early voting, you receive the same absentee ballot and you drop that ballot in a drop-box that does not perform any counting or validation that the ballot was filled out correctly which to seem seems equivalent to dropping your mail-in ballot in a drop box.

If anybody has any insight, I read that officials are suggesting that people using mail-in ballots vote as early as possible either by mailing in your ballot or dropping it off gives the election officials time to notify you if there is a problem and time for you to resolve the issue.  Is the validation limited to the signature on the outside envelope or do the actual ballots get evaluated/processed prior to election day?

Sharon Fray-Witzer

Yes, I too am curious to what extent ballots have been processed when the tracker reads "accepted".
Does that mean that they've been signature-matched, and/or tabulated, as a matter of fact in our town?
Or does it merely mean that the ballot envelope has been received and/or opened, and matched to your ballot-request, therefore "merely" accounted for (though that seems like a herculean job in itself).
Is there any point at will it will be confirmed for us that our ballot was fully tabulated?
And will be receive notice - even on the tracker - if it is at all subject to contest or rejection?
When should we check?
Thanks for any inside information which can be had without bothering the people at the clerk's office more than they are already these days.