my first thoughts + explaining why it took me 30 minutes to run the hello world program.

Jackson Drexler

checking out lbstanza, so far I'm more than impressed. I've had an interest in programming languages as long as i can remember and this is the first time I've ever come upon a language that has ever perfectly lined up with my own ideal. Syntax, philosophy, even the influences that can be seen in the keywords and type system actually line up with what i would create myself if i had the time.

Some things i noticed when starting are:

using "main" in the first examples seems like it might confuse people. (just throwing this opinion out on this because it was part of my first impression)

using brew on linux to install gives me a SHA256 mismatch (while normally i use OSX i have no mac available to test homebrew right now).

from watching other languages develop i can say

A language grammar either formal or even just thoroughly laid out on the site (didn't see it) would be helpful as one of the first things a new language needs these days is a syntax checker. Resources like that can be helpful for new contributors, even more so if development hits the point where advanced tooling like a REPL is put on the roadmap or undertaken by the community.

thanks

Edited

Woops! Must be a new update. The taps for both mac and linux have now been updated to v0.9.4.

Just run brew update and that should pull the fix for you and then try installing again.

Let me know here or on IRC if you have any other problems!

Thanks for the kind words. Stanza went through *many* iterations before we settled on the current design. It's always nice to hear that people appreciate its design.

That's a good point about the `main` function. We should rename it to `mymain` for greater clarity.

And thanks again Jake for setting up the Brew install.

As you say, the language grammar needs to be thoroughly described for tool writers. It requires a little care because we use a custom lexer whose rules are not easily described using BNF. So we'll figure out some pseudo-formalism to describe it.

  -Patrick