Theory and Therapy of Representations

Cf: Theory and Therapy of Representations • 5
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/05/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-5/

Re: R.J. Lipton and K.W. Regan
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/about-me/
::: Legal Complexity
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/2022/09/04/legal-complexity/

<QUOTE>
I do not pretend to understand the moral universe;
the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways;
I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by
the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience.
And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice.

🙞 Theodore Parker
https://web.archive.org/web/20200302045624/https://books.google.com/books?id=eHgYAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA48#v=onepage&q&f=false
</QUOTE>

All,

The arc of the moral universe may bend toward justice — let's hope it does.
For the logic of laws to converge on justice may take some doing on our part.

Regards & Happy Labor Day,

Jon

Cf: Theory and Therapy of Representations • 1
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/13/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-1-2/

| Again, in a ship, if a man were at liberty to do what he chose,
| but were devoid of mind and excellence in navigation (αρετης
| κυβερνητικης), do you perceive what must happen to him and
| his fellow sailors?
|
| Plato • Alcibiades • 135 A

Responding to issues raised by Michael Harris on [Mathematical Literacy and the Good Society]
https://mathematicswithoutapologies.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/tim-gowers-as-public-intellectual/

All,

Statistics were originally the data a ship of state needed for stationkeeping and
staying on course. The Founders of the United States, like the Cybernauts of the
Enlightenment they were, engineered a ship of state with checks and ballasts and
error-controlled feedbacks to achieve the bicameral purpose of representing both
reality and the will of the people. In that connection Max Weber observed how
a state's accounting systems were intended as representations of realities its
crew and passengers must observe or perish.

The question for today is —

• What are the forces distorting our representations of
what's observed, what's expected, and what's intended?

Repercussions
=============

• The Place Where Three Wars Meet
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/06/21/the-place-where-three-wars-meet/ )

Regards,

Jon

Lyle Anderson

This is a great observation that Jon Awbrey made in 2012, a decade ago.
One of the interesting things about the curse of our nation’s interesting times is the chance we have to observe how that triple threat — the War on Democracy, the War on Education, and the War on Science — work hand in hand in hand to wreak havoc on every core value of American society our parents and teachers impressed on us in what now seems like ancient days.

The inseparable bond between democratic government and public education is no doubt obvious to anyone whose mind and character have been nurtured by the lessons of progressive education — perhaps too obvious to understand how anyone could fail to see how each will die without the other.

At any rate, most of us can probably see how the war on democracy and the war on education are just two fronts in a larger campaign to nullify the core values our Founders labored to give birth on this Continent.

But the war on science?  Or inquiry, knowledge, research, truth — however you want to put it?  What is that about?  Where does that come into the fray?

For one thing, think of the armory of double-think-tanks that constantly bombard the public with barrage on barrage of agenda-driven reports, the host of which tanks operate in exact opposition to the way genuine researchers are trained to conduct historical and scientific research.

For another thing, the public is now so inundated by the rain of abuse on our university-educated teachers that — unlike every other civilized country in the world — they forget the role that academic freedom plays in conveying the truth about realities not-to-be-denied to the generations that will have to face those realities squarely and without the escape of wishful illusion.

So you can’t have a really good war on democratic education without a multi-pronged assault on academic freedom, communication, information, inquiry, journalism, knowledge, research, science, and truth.  Now can you?

The amazing situation we find ourselves in today is that the powers of academia, communications, journalism, research, and science are all telling us that every core value of the founding of the American Republic instead of being good is evil.  If you were born with two X chromosomes, you can now declare that you are "really" a person with an X and Y chromosome, and adjust your outward physical characteristics appropriately and compel others to call you by your "preferred" pronouns.  The same applies if you were born with an X and a Y chromosome.  The science that sexuality is determined by the configuration of chromosomes cannot be taught in many educational institutions.  This situation is well beyond the point where "everyone behaves according to his own belief."  We are at the point where if you don't believe what the mob tells you, at any given moment for it changes daily, then you will be attacked by that mob.  We have the historical and archaeological records that show that this has happened before, and will, without Divine intervention, happen again.  Nothing we can do can stop this arc of history. Those of us who have gone down to the sea in ships know the power of the waves and the wind.  The most we can do is for each of us to decide where we stand on the question of Truth and Falsehood, and what we teach those around us about Truth and Falsehood.  Do we call good evil and evil good, or do we call good good and evil evil?  Do we teach the Truth or do we go along with the mob and teach the Falsehood?

Heim deals with this when he writes:
In every kind of logic I have to make statements. Terms are set in relation by statements. In every logic there must be terms and statements that put these terms in interrelations, as otherwise it’s no logic. Human logic knows two kinds of statements: ‘yes’ and ‘no’. Within the logic I have many different aspects. What is such an aspect actually?

Such an aspect is nothing else but the coordination of dialectically defining adjectives to my predicates. After all, it’s a huge difference whether I for example coordinate the predicates to the affirmation of good and evil to the negation, or whether I
do the inverse, that I coordinate evil to the affirmation and good to the negation. Because then I have the contradiction. That’s the contrary aspect then. Because in the one case I refer to the good, so for example social coexistence is affirmed, in the other case the evil, i.e. the destruction of society. That’s a huge difference.

You must differentiate between subjective aspect and logic system. The logic system results in predicative possibilities and the linguistically possible dialectical adjectives.  This aspect is characterized by a system of predicates that have, however, been characterized by all the adjectives. That’s the most obvious thing for a start…

Best regards,
Lyle

Cf: Theory and Therapy of Representations • 2
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/14/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-2-2/

All,

In a complex society, people making decisions and taking actions at places
remote from you have the power to affect your life in significant ways.
Those people govern your life, they are your government, no matter what
spheres of influence they inhabit, private or public. The only way
you get a choice in that governance is if there are paths of feedback
permitting you to affect the life of those decision makers and action
takers in significant ways. That is what accountability, response-
ability, and representative government are all about.

Naturally, some people are against that.

In the United States there has been a concerted campaign for as long as
I can remember — but even more concerted since the Reagan Regime — to
get the People to abdicate their hold on The Powers That Be and just
let some anonymous corporate entity send us the bill after the fact.
They keep trying to con the People into thinking they can starve the
beast, to limit government, when what they are really doing is feeding
the beast of corporate control, weakening their own power over the forces
that govern their lives.

That is the road to perdition as far as responsible government goes.
There is not much of anything one leader or one administration can do
unsupported if the People do not constantly demand a government of, by,
and for the People.

Regards,

Jon

Cf: Theory and Therapy of Representations • 3
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/16/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-3-2/

All,

Representation is a concept we find at the intersection of cybernetics,
epistemology, logic, mathematics, psychology, and sociology. In my
studies it led me from math to psych and back again, with sidelong
glances at the history of democratic governance. Its time come round
again, I find myself returning to the scenes of two recurring questions.

Scene 1. Pragmatic Theory Of Truth • 18
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/11/14/pragmatic-theory-of-truth-18/

We do not live in axiom systems. We do not live encased in languages,
formal or natural. There is no reason to think we will ever have exact
and exhaustive theories of what's out there, and the truth, as we know,
is “out there”. Peirce understood there are more truths in mathematics
than are dreamt of in logic — and Gödel's realism should have put the
last nail in the coffin of logicism — but some ways of thinking just
never get a clue.

That brings us to Question 1 —

• What are formalisms and all their embodiments in brains and computers good for?

Scene 2. Theory and Therapy of Representations • 1
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/13/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-1-2/

Statistics were originally the data a ship of state needed
for stationkeeping and staying on course. The Founders of
the United States, like the Cybernauts of the Enlightenment
they were, engineered a ship of state with checks and ballasts
and error-controlled feedbacks for the sake of representing
both reality and the will of the people. In that connection
Max Weber saw how a state's accounting systems were intended
as representations of realities its crew and passengers must
observe or perish.

That brings us to Question 2 —

• What are the forces distorting our representations of
what's observed, what's expected, and what's intended?

Resources
=========

Survey of Cybernetics
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/08/survey-of-cybernetics-2/

Regards,

Jon

Lyle Anderson

All,
The first question Jon asks: "What are formalisms and all their embodiments in brains and computers good for?" is a couple of levels of abstraction away from the question "What are the formalisms embodied in our brains and computers and how do they work?" and goes to the intention of the creator of these formalisms. The second question, "What are the forces distorting our representations of what's observed, what's expected, and what's intended?" specifically addresses the intent of the creator of the universe. These are dangerous questions for people who believe that the Laws of Form are applicable to everything, including the Laws of Form in a re-entrant, self-referencing system of steps, since one of the rules is that a step cannot be taken without the permission of the creator of the First Distinction of that particular system.

Since none of us is the creator of the First Distinction of this universe, we cannot dictate what happens in the universe outside of those First Distinctions we have been permitted to make. So when I make a computer program, I am the creator of the First Distinction for that program, but I am not the creator of the First Distinction that is the computer it runs on, so my intentions expressed in the computer program may not be carried out as I intended them. This happened to me during the development of the Submarine Fire Control System Mark 113 Mod 10 on the AN/UYK-7 computer. The core memory modules for this computer were hand wired, and in some memory modules there was magnetic induction between 32-bit memory lines caused bits to be dropped during transfers from memory to registers. The government had "saved money" by not including a parity bit, so this condition was hard to detect. Luckily we had one computer in the lab that worked properly so we knew that the program was working properly. The solution was to stagger the timing circuits so that the bits were transmitted in three groups, 11-11-10, there is the trinity again.

The dangerous part is that we can only know the intentions of the creator if he tells us what they are. How we determine those intentions seems to involve "religious" documents. The question then is "do we want to go there?"

Best regards,
Lyle

Cf: Theory and Therapy of Representations • 4
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/17/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-4-2/

Re: Theory and Therapy of Representations • 3
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/16/theory-and-therapy-of-representations-3-2/
Re: Ontolog Forum
https://groups.google.com/g/ontolog-forum/c/Ek_7cCCyFkQ
::: Paola Di Maio
https://groups.google.com/g/ontolog-forum/c/Ek_7cCCyFkQ/m/qI0kQv4UAgAJ

JA: What are the forces distorting our representations of
what's observed, what's expected, and what's intended?

PDM: The short answer is .... the force behind all distortions is our
own unenlightened mind, and all the shortfalls this comes with.

I think that’s true, we have to keep reflecting on the state of our
personal enlightenments. If we can do that without losing our heads
and our systems thinking caps, there will be much we can do to promote
the general Enlightenment of the State.

On both personal and general grounds we have a stake in the projects
of self‑governing systems — whether it is possible for them to exist
and what it takes for them to thrive in given environments. Systems
on that order have of course been studied from many points of view
and at many levels of organization. Whether we address them under
the names of adaptive, cybernetic, error-correcting, intelligent,
or optimal control systems they all must be capable to some degree
of learning, reasoning, and self‑guidance.

Resources

• Survey of Cybernetics
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/09/08/survey-of-cybernetics-2/ )

• Survey of Differential Logic