Re: Animated Logical Graphs

william bricken

Hi Jon,

Weird how we’ve been doing this for so many years! I look forward to what you have to say. Dunno if you’ve seen this, may be of interest.

We built some stuff similar to logic graphs, we called distinction networks (d-nets), in the deep past. Here’s some implementation details (1995) for asynchronous d-net computation. Ran it first on an Intel Hypercube with 16 nodes (ugh, course-grain parallelism — a technical abstract (1987) at http://wbricken.com/pdfs/01bm/05arch/01dnets/03para-eng-ijcai.pdf), and eventually migrated to a distributed network architecture in which each node was an independent operating system, more for the convenience of doing VR than for the elegance of fine-grain logic parallelism.

take care
wm

On Jan 30, 2021, at 9:45 AM, Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@...> wrote:

Cf: Animated Logical Graphs • 55
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/01/30/animated-logical-graphs-55/

Re: Laws of Form
https://groups.io/g/lawsofform/topic/sociological_reading_of_lof/79753680
::: William Bricken ( https://groups.io/g/lawsofform/message/19 )

<QUOTE WB:>

Kauffman’s 2001 piece on Peirce (title is “The Mathematics of Charles Sanders Peirce
( http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~kauffman/Form.html )”) is IMO fundamental to this
discussion.

Here’s a brief excerpt from a piece I did in 2005:
“Boundary Logic and Alpha Existential Graphs (AEG)”

4.3  LoF and Alpha Graphs Compared

AEG applies the diagrammatic structure of enclosure specifically to logic.
The representations of LoF and AEG are isomorphic, while the systems of
transformation rules are remarkably close to being the same.  ...

</QUOTE>

Dear William,

Many thanks for your excerpt.  It highlights many of the most critical points
in comparing the systems of Peirce and Spencer Brown so I'll take up the topic
of duality first.  Over the years I've always found that to be one of the stickier
wickets in the whole field.  I'll discuss it in my Animated Logical Graphs series
as that's where I've recently redoubled my efforts to explain the issue and why
it's important.

Regards,

Jon

Join lawsofform@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.