Brown Booby and other Ninemile Pt notes, Jefferson Parish

Peter H Yaukey

Hello All:

Brown Booby this morning on the Miss River just upstream from Ochsner, seen across the river from the West Bank side. It flew up and then downstream around 9 AM, so may be working the area rather than passing through.

I walk for exercise (binocs in hand) on the West Bank levee most mornings since the pandemic started, and this is my fourth Br Booby sighting. I also saw a couple in Plaquemines Parish (Phoenix) on the river a couple months ago, so it seems they might have an ongoing but sparse presence on the river in the general vicinity of New Orleans.

For duck enthusiasts, there are 8000+ Black-bellied Whistlers and 10,000 or so scaup along this stretch of the river these days. The grain elevator is a big draw, but the best scaup viewing has been actually from the East Bank, immediately in front of Ochsner, where a couple thousand are generally close to the bank and access is pretty easy. Of course with that many ducks, it is a setup for something cool to join in, but I have not detected anything more fancy than Greater Scaup as of yet.

I have been woefully negligent about posting on ebird from these walks, so let me just give a few other recent highlights:
Ash-throated Flycatcher in late Dec
Western Tanager- two different birds on Jan 1 and 2
Black-headed/Rose-breasted Grosbeak- one on Jan 2 (looked more like Black-headed)
Indigo Bunting- one on Jan 2
Painted Bunting- one on Jan 2
Baltimore Oriole- one in late December

If you visit, you may be questioned if you stand around at the elevator itself with binoculars (though they have been friendly while doing so). But stay on the levee if in the immediate area of the elevator, please.

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is intended solely for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by replying to this email or contact the sender at the telephone numbers listed above. Thank you!

Join labird@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.