What do y'all use for optical rotary encoders? #asm_tutorial

Mont Pierce KM6WT

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 03:38 PM, w8diz wrote:
Anybody else have an opinion?

For the Tutorials PCBs, it would be nice to have the encoder PCB mounted, instead of Panel mounted.
( Yes I know... too late to change the PCB. )

I've never bought them in bulk of course...  but

I've used the Arduino styled rotary encoders:
    https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Degrees-Rotary-Encoder-Arduino/dp/B07WZF1TXX

   For hobbyist, this one is nice as the debounce is done in hardware on the little board.

Most of the QRP-Lab kits use rotary encoders that look like this (not sure if same part model):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3D64X7

One interesting difference I found with this is that they encode the rotary states differently:

The Arduino style rotary encoder changes state once per click of the indent.

The 2nd one above changes state twice per click of the indent.  Arduino lib code doesn't like this...(not that we care for this project )

73
km6wt

Jim Mcilroy

Hi

Either the Digikey one you mentioned DIZ (Digikey part number CKN11528-ND) or this one.

https://www.sdr-kits.net/Optical-Encoder

Jim  G4EQX

On 26/10/2021 00:58, Mont Pierce KM6WT wrote:
[...]

ken WA2MZE

I've used surplus OAK encoders found on Ebay with 100 steps (no switch).