Topics

SOTA Station with LNR Mountain Topper

W3DX

Hi Everyone:

I’m attaching photos of a SOTA station built into a Pelican 1060 microcase. The idea was to have a waterproof, shockproof all-in-one station that doubles as a clipboard for logging. The antenna is a QRPGuys EFHW which is tunable. That way you can tune for minimum SWR (LED is dimmest) and never have a high SWR on the MTR. (The QRGuys EFHW tuner prevents the MTR from seeing an SWR higher than 2:1).

You’ll notice the arborist tree rope along with a 4 ounce arborist throw weight. The paddle is a set of touch paddles (that’s the circuit board on the right inside of the case) along with two touch pieces cemented to the front right corner of the case.

All of the holes through the case have been filled with silicone cement, so the case is submersible.

The whole thing weighs 1 lb, 14 ounces.

73,

Rob, W3DX

David Wilcox

YOU DA MAN!  I need to build something like this for our travels.  I would use the solid black case though to keep prying eyes from asking too many questions.  When I am out I my concentration is easily broken by questions from bystanders.  If the top was closed and I was tapping out code on the corner key I would look just like any other old man with a tremor listening to my iPod or whatever was in the box. Ha!

Beautifully done.  Thanks for the eye candy.

Dave K8WPE

On Feb 18, 2019, at 9:35 AM, W3DX via Groups.Io <W3DX@...> wrote:

[...]

<BBC99348_95BB_498F_9690_CCD767BF1F42.jpeg>
<98E0AAA3_EAEA_475B_8CDA_F5BEFA90B1F6.jpeg>
<D38994D0_E5B9_485F_BCAA_E2D656D04E22.jpeg>
<678F585B_E8D9_4F9F_883C_106318FE0777.jpeg>
<E801F6BF_52AF_48F3_8283_7B841F3662F1.jpeg>

W6IPA

Rob,

this is great ! few questions/suggestions :
   - it seems that the clip for the log is inside - why not put it outside to operate with the cover closed ?
   - if you want to protect the MTR buttons, i have a small 3D printed cover that you case use : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3414361 - some people use foam (e.g. WS0TA)
   - is the arborist rope the zing-it ? Also, I am looking at making a throw weight without the weight to be able to use local stones/dirt.

JC/W6IPA

On Feb 18, 2019, at 6:35 AM, W3DX via Groups.Io <W3DX@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi JC-

Thanks for writing. In reply:

-I like the log on the inside so you can continue to operate the radio. It’s like a clipboard.
-The throw bag is th 4 ounce bumblebee available at Wespur
http://www.wesspur.com/throw-line/throw-bags.html
-Yes, zing it. I like yellow so that passing hikers don’t trip over it:
http://www.wesspur.com/throw-line/zing-it-throw-line.html

I was asked by others about the touch paddle. You can find a good selection on eBay by searching “Morse touch paddles” and/or “CW Touch Paddles”.

73,

Rob, W3DX