Topics

SODA POP II update

Steven Weber

Progress is being made.

I ordered the final rev of the board today. It took 3 tries, but I think this one won't need any cuts and jumps. I finally figured out how to eliminate the display multiplexing noise from the audio without having to blank the display. All it took was adding a "Capacitor" multiplier circuit to power the mixers and op amp.

I'm not sure I'll have these ready to ship before I take off for my spring hiking trip, which starts in about 3 weeks. I'll be back in time to go to Dayton and FDIM, so I hope to bring some there. LnR talked me into going this year, so you can find me in their booth.

73, Steve KD1JV

ohwenzelph

figured out how to eliminate the display multiplexing noise from the audio without having to blank the display. All it took was adding a "Capacitor" multiplier circuit to power the mixers and op amp.”

So is this a mod that could(?should) be applied to the earlier soda pops? And if so, what would be the details for the older boards???

Steven Weber

Well, it wouldn’t hurt, but would be a pain to add due to the way the tracks are laid out.

It takes three parts, a NPN transistor (2N3904), a 470 ohm resistor and a 22 ufd cap.

Collector to the + supply, emitter to the mixers and op amp, 470 ohm resistor between collector and base, 22 ufd cap from base to ground.

It looks like the best place to break the + supply to the mixers/opamp would be between CT2 and CT3 on the top of the board as the track goes around X4.

Keep the LM386 connected to the 5V supply or there will be motorboating.

-Steve

“figured out how to eliminate the display multiplexing noise from the audio without having to blank the display. All it took was adding a "Capacitor" multiplier circuit to power the mixers and op amp.”

So is this a mod that could(?should) be applied to the earlier soda pops? And if so, what would be the details for the older boards???

Gil

Thank you very much for your efforst Steve. Am I to understand that new boards will be sent to all SP2 builders? I might have missed that message...

Gil.

Michael N6MST

Gil,
SODA POP II is a new kit, a revised SODA POP.

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK

Can I put my order in for hand delivery at FDIM? :)

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Steven Weber

Yes, If I have them ready by then.

I guess I can start a Dayton list. Anyone else?

BTW, the price will be $50.

Steve KD1JV

Can I put my order in for hand delivery at FDIM? :)

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

I would love one. I will be at FDIM as well. Pay now or later?

Steven Weber

Pay later.

I would love one. I will be at FDIM as well. Pay now or later?

Lincoln Thormahlen

I would definitely like one, but I have no intent to go to FDIM

Lincoln
N9IN

On Friday, March 22, 2019, 1:33:48 PM EDT, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Pay later.

I would love one. I will be at FDIM as well. Pay now or later?

Steven Weber

I’ll have the rest (or most) available to mail shortly after I get back home from Dayton.

Steve

I would definitely like one, but I have no intent to go to FDIM

Lincoln

N9IN

On Friday, March 22, 2019, 1:33:48 PM EDT, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Pay later.

I would love one. I will be at FDIM as well. Pay now or later?

Tech Guy

What bands are possible?

Steven Weber

Parts are supplied for 40, 30 or 20M . Choose band at time of build.  Band data for 160, 80, 60, and 17 meters is included and can be selected via the calibration procedure.  Suggested part values for these other bands are provided in the manual, you’d need to source the parts.

73, Steve KD1JV

What bands are possible?

40, 39 or 2

@