Topics

Soda Pop I assistance

Ken Talbott

Has anyone successfully used the keyer memories on the Soda Pop?  Operation is erratic with only the first 10 or 12 chars written to memory.
Where are the Soda Pop messages, pictures, files?  Do they still exist?

Steven Weber

The Soda Pop files may still be over in the AT_Sprint yahoo group, but I think they are in the files section of this group.

The usual problem with the keyer memories is just getting the timing right. If you don’t leave enough space between character and word groups, it comes out garbled. It’s really common to run characters and words together with out the proper spacing, but I’ll double check.

73, Steve.

Has anyone successfully used the keyer memories on the Soda Pop?  Operation is erratic with only the first 10 or 12 chars written to memory.
Where are the Soda Pop messages, pictures, files?  Do they still exist?

Steven Weber

Okay, I’m having a heck of a time myself loading a message.

It seems if you try to re-enter the message after the review, it starts to act up. Sometimes it goes right to sending “EM” again, sometimes it just repeats some of what was entered. Storing the message and restarting the mode seems to work okay. Something isn’t being re-initialized properly.

I’ll see if I can figure out how to fix that.

KD1JV

Subject: Re: [kd1jvdesigns] Soda Pop I assistance

The Soda Pop files may still be over in the AT_Sprint yahoo group, but I think they are in the files section of this group.

The usual problem with the keyer memories is just getting the timing right. If you don’t leave enough space between character and word groups, it comes out garbled. It’s really common to run characters and words together with out the proper spacing, but I’ll double check.

73, Steve.

Has anyone successfully used the keyer memories on the Soda Pop?  Operation is erratic with only the first 10 or 12 chars written to memory.
Where are the Soda Pop messages, pictures, files?  Do they still exist?

Steven Weber

I seem to have found the problem. The buffer pointer wasn’t being rest to zero when restarting a message. Anything new got added to the end of the first message.  Then the buffer fills up and won’t let you add any more. Power has to be cycled to reset it.

While I was at it, I cleaned up some other routines and converted over to KE7ER’s stand alone Si5351 routine so a library file isn’t needed to compile. Once I convince myself everything is now good and haven’t broken anything in the process, I’ll post the new Sketch.

If you don’t already have a Arduino UNO board to reprogram the chip, might be time to get one. Although, I’m not sure if the soda pop processor has the bootloader installed. I seem to remember buying the wrong flavor part, one without the “P” at the end and had to use a AVR programmer to load the hex file. But if you get a UNO board, it comes with a chip you can use.

73, Steve KD1JV

[...]

Many thanks!

Ken ke4rg

[...]

Don’t thank me yet It seems the timing for making characters is all messed up. I don’t know how I though it ever worked. I was up until 1AM last night tying to figure out how to do the timing properly and getting no where.

If you pause long enough between entering characters for the word spacing to time out, it will record the characters correctly, but the spacing is off when sent. But not by too much, since the word spacing in the Morse output routine was a little off too.

Now that I’ve “slept” on the problem, maybe the solution will come to me today. Or tomorrow…

Steve KD1JV

Many thanks!

Ken ke4rg

[...]

ohwenzelph

Probably the mice chewed on the software...

On Feb 10, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

[...]

<3561997EA4894ABFB19BE39DC00B7299.png>

Steven Weber

Finally, I seem to have the message recording fixed.

I’m not completely out of the woods yet, but I can hear traffic, so getting close 😊

Steve KD1JV

Steven Weber

I just uploaded a new firmware Sketch to the files. It seems to be stable and messages can now be entered with out them becoming garbled.  If you notice any crazy behavior, please let me know.

If you burn this Sketch into the original processor, you will need to do a EEPROM erase and recalibrate because of the new Si5351 routine uses frequency values with 1 Hz resolution, while the original routine from etherkits used 0.01 Hz resolution for the calculations.

73, Steve KD1JV