Topics

Should I do another batch of Slop Bucket kits? #poll

Steven Weber

The Slop Bucket SSB rig wasn't an instant sell out like the CW rigs always were. So, I wonder if I doing another batch is worth the investment of time and money.

I'm thinking maybe a 40M version this time?

If I get close to 50 "yes, I'd definitely buy one", then I'll go ahead and start ordering parts. If not, well, guess we'll move on.

73, Steve KD1JV

Results

See Who Responded

ohwenzelph

Consider 60 meters
i have nothing for 60
spozed to be good for nvis
Could be good for local portable disaster communication
maybe as an option for a 40 meter kit (or maybe a 75 meter one)
its mostly a kind of low power “band” already ( set of channels ?)
would need a good way to align it so every one could be sure the frequencies are spot on
it would be kind of a niche offering
and a relatively low cost way to “try out” 60
i would buy at least one, two if you would let me
jerry aa1of

Jerry,

The Bitx40  has a drop dead simple 60 meter option that works great. For 49 bucks you cant beat it.

Joel N6ALT

On Jun 2, 2018, at 9:11 AM, ohwenzelph via Groups.Io <Ohwenzelph@...> wrote:

Consider 60 meters
i have nothing for 60
spozed to be good for nvis
Could be good for local portable disaster communication
maybe as an option for a 40 meter kit (or maybe a 75 meter one)
its mostly a kind of low power “band” already ( set of channels ?)
would need a good way to align it so every one could be sure the frequencies are spot on
it would be kind of a niche offering
and a relatively low cost way to “try out” 60
i would buy at least one, two if you would let me
jerry aa1of

ohwenzelph

Thanks Joel
I will have to check it out, my bitx40 is more of a on the shelf or table, while i think the slopbucket begs to be taken portable.
And right now my bitx 40 has an analogue vfo, I am certain 60 will involve chips and software at least. Do you has a link to the drop dead simple solution? Who knows, maybe a 40 meter slop bucket could have that as well?
Either way, if Steve makes another slop bucket run I will definitely buy at least one.
jer aa1of

Jerry,

Here is the link to the mod. http://www.nd6t.com/bitx/bitx60.htm You would only have to add the three 100pf BPF caps and change your VFO frequency, no chips involved unless you want to. I used Don's, ND6T's modified Raduino code for a channelized display, works great.

Joel
N6ALT

--
Joel Caulkins

ajparent1/kb1gmx

40m please!

Allison

ajparent1/kb1gmx

some day 10M will be fully back.  In the mean time I work intermittent DX there.

One for ten maybe...

Allison

Kelly Jack

Is 6m a possibility with the slop bucket architecture (with some transistor changes)?

Though presume it may need a new rf amp at the front end - Steve are you considering any updates to the layout or only new parts for a new band.

I would interested in where a 40m version ends up as I built mine for 40 and it would nice to compare.

73

Simon
VK3ELH

Steven Weber

No, 6 Meters is a can of worms. The main problem is making a PA which doesn’t use a wicked expensive mosfet and getting enough drive. Spurs might be an issue too. It can be difficult to filter out all the mixer products at that frequency and there would be many of them. The purity requirements are more stringent above 50 MHz then they are for HF. Might have to do a double conversion. It gets complicated.

It would be easier to make the Soda Pop do 6M. I actually got the transmitter to put out 5 watts with the BS170s and the spectrum was amazingly clean. Being able to produce the Tx frequency directly without any mixer products helps a whole lot.

The only problem I had was the receiver was pretty deaf. Going to a SA612 for the first mixer would probably solve that problem.

If I did do more Slop Buckets, I’d fix the couple of layout errors current board has.

Steve KD1JV

Is 6m a possibility with the slop bucket architecture (with some transistor changes)?

Though presume it may need a new rf amp at the front end - Steve are you considering any updates to the layout or only new parts for a new band.

I would interested in where a 40m version ends up as I built mine for 40 and it would nice to compare.

73

Simon
VK3ELH

ajparent1/kb1gmx

If the IF is high enough say 11mhz its not too bad. Fundamentally the basic radio will
work there.

The only question in my mind is if the 4053 switch will work with a LO of about 40mhz.
Staying single conversion keeps the spurs down.  If you can fine the spring 2006 QQ
I wrote up a similar radio for 6.

The differences are triple tuned bandpass for TX.  Transistors that work at 6M (not 3904s)
I've used 2n4124s at low gain (~11db/stage) the final can be IRF510, they do work there.
I've used the IRF510 on  and at 12V it will do 5-10W, higher voltages it can do over 25
(8 of them as 4x4 push pull do about 220-230W at 30V on 6m).  Expect the IRF510 to
run about 10-12DV of gain and may need a bit more drain current.  Also the gate drive
impedance is around 6ohms and you still need a .5 to 1 watt of drive

The RX need a RF amp stage, a common gate J310 will do at 10-11db.  The 5351
does well enough up there and the 612 works well.

There are enough changes the price tag will be expected to be a bit higher.

You did a 6m converter years ago so you know the drill.

Allison

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Either way please do more.
If it not the band I want I can move it.

However thinking on 6M.  A6M unit while on first appearances appears easy, don't sell
it as I really don't think you would get enough sales and its a lot to lay out for a 40+ board run.
If I wanted 6 the easy way is my Tentec 1208 transverter (20M in and 6M at 10W out)
and a SlopBucket20 without a final as the transverter without input attenuator only
needs a milliwatt.

So if your doing another 40m or 20M I'd buy one as soon as you have it.  I'm enjoying
the 20M unit a lot.

Allison

Kelly Jack

I can understand why 6m may not be the best option from a marketing point of view. It would be nice to have it as an option in terms of the layout though. ie optional receive preamp and triple tune tx bpf.

As a suggestion to increase demand - publishing a bom for band specific parts for alternative bands. Still only kit up for one band though. Find your own parts if you want another band.

Either way I am good for another one.

73

Simon VK3ELH

Indra C.

anyone?

On 2 Jun 2018, at 21.48, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

The Slop Bucket SSB rig wasn't an instant sell out like the CW rigs always were. So, I wonder if I doing another batch is worth the investment of time and money.

I'm thinking maybe a 40M version this time?

If I get close to 50 "yes, I'd definitely buy one", then I'll go ahead and start ordering parts. If not, well, guess we'll move on.

73, Steve KD1JV

1. Yes, I want one!
2. Yes, 40M would be great!
3. No, stick with 20M

Vote Now

Lincoln Thormahlen

I would be interested in one.

I have no idea which band at this moment, though.  Almost prefer 30m.  Anyway we can choose at order or build time?

Yeah, another monkey with a wrench

Lincoln
N9IN

bill K7WXW

I'm in if you do!

73 de bill K7WXW

John N0TA

Why would you want an SSB rig on 30m?

On 9/12/2018 10:34 AM, Lincoln Thormahlen via Groups.Io wrote:
I would be interested in one.

I have no idea which band at this moment, though.  Almost prefer 30m.  Anyway we can choose at order or build time?

Yeah, another monkey with a wrench

Lincoln
N9IN

Lincoln Thormahlen

excuse me for not know it was a ssb rig

Roy Appleton

I'll take one. . . Whatever it is! :-))  :-))

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 12:41 PM Lincoln Thormahlen via Groups.Io <tlcfarmer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
excuse me for not know it was a ssb rig

Mike Olbrisch

Because there is a movement in the works to get SSB privilidges on 30m.  Think about it. If they can give us 5 channels on 60m for SSB, then after a number of years allow CW and digital to share that small bandwidth, certainly there is room for SSB on 30m.  And it is already allowed in many other countries.  Something between 40m and 20m is what’s missing for EMCOM too.

It isn’t in the “near” future, but the movement is afoot.  But like Steve says, this little radio has a bad IF for 30m.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

On 9/12/2018 10:34 AM, Lincoln Thormahlen via Groups.Io wrote:

I would be interested in one.

I have no idea which band at this moment, though.  Almost prefer 30m.  Anyway we can choose at order or build time?

Yeah, another monkey with a wrench

Lincoln
N9IN

John Kirk

You would need an SSB rig for any of the "soundcard" digi modes currently permitted on 30 mtrs as well.....
Cheers
John VK4TJ