Topics

SB II manual corrections.

Steven Weber

I guess corrections to the manual need it's own thread.

This what we know so far:

R43 is 471 (470 ohms) not 1K - the manual has been corrected on this
The 3.3 pfd caps are color coded ORG/BLK, not ORG/ORG
The 15 pfd caps are color coded Brown Green, not Black Green
C63 is called out twice on the cap placement table. Once as 331 and once as 102. 331 as shown on the layout diagram is the correct value.

If you find any other conflicts, add it to this thread.

Don, ND6T

While not really a correction, the parts list shows six 100uF electrolytics and you supplied all six however there are only 5 used. It will come in handy someday, though. Thanks!

How on earth do you keep all the parts counts filled and such? That is a LOT of little components.

Steven Weber

Thankfully, most of the little parts come on a tape, so I just have to count off the correct number. If there are more then 6 pieces needed of a value, I make a “ruler” and make click marks where they need to be cut off the tape. I then do batches of 15 part bags at a time. Each value goes into a paper bowl and I go down the line, putting one of each into the bag, counting as I go. So if there are say 10 pieces to bag, if I don’t count to 10 at the last bowl, I know I missed one. Or if there one bit is left in a bowl or run out too soon, I know I made a mistake.

In order to color code the caps, I made a jig which holds the tape spool and I can pull the tape out through a guide which holds the tape in place while I press the marker to the tape and pull. I’ll do 3-4 feet of tape at a time.

Grouping all the bits into their respective types and packaging the way I do is time consuming.

Steve KD1JV

While not really a correction, the parts list shows six 100uF electrolytics and you supplied all six however there are only 5 used. It will come in handy someday, though. Thanks!

How on earth do you keep all the parts counts filled and such? That is a LOT of little components.

John AE5X

The nomenclature for C22:

The list of parts to be installed has a C22a and C22b
The diagram lists C22 and C22a  - assuming the C22 refers to the C22b value?

Photo attached.

John AE5X

Also:

Six 100 ufd electrolytic caps are included in the kit (and 6 according to parts list) however only five locations are shown to be installed. Where does the 6th one go?

John AE5X

Oops - just read Don's post above.

Steven Weber

These two caps are in parallel, hence a +b. So yea, pencil in a ‘b’ after C22.

Steve

The nomenclature for C22:

The list of parts to be installed has a C22a and C22b
The diagram lists C22 and C22a  - assuming the C22 refers to the C22b value?

Photo attached.

Jer Tres

Just curious, why is C10 a film cap?

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 2:15 PM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

These two caps are in parallel, hence a +b. So yea, pencil in a ‘b’ after C22.

Steve

The nomenclature for C22:

The list of parts to be installed has a C22a and C22b
The diagram lists C22 and C22a  - assuming the C22 refers to the C22b value?

Photo attached.

Steven Weber

Higher voltage, higher current carrying capacity then the chip caps.

The reason for C22 a+b is 33 pfd was needed there for 20M, I didn’t have any 33’s but I had a lot of 22’s and 15’s. Close enough.

Steve

Just curious, why is C10 a film cap?

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 2:15 PM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

These two caps are in parallel, hence a +b. So yea, pencil in a ‘b’ after C22.

Steve

The nomenclature for C22:

The list of parts to be installed has a C22a and C22b
The diagram lists C22 and C22a  - assuming the C22 refers to the C22b value?

Photo attached.

Don, ND6T

Just a couple minor corrections:
On page 2 under the "CW mode" heading it states " The product detector is unbalanced to allow the BFO signal to be outputted by the mixer instead of being suppressed. ".
That should be changed to "The product detector is unbalanced to allow the carrier signal to be outputted by the mixer instead of being suppressed. " because that signal is not the BFO frequency but the working transmit frequency instead.

On the schematic ( page 20 ) U3 has pins 4 and 5 reversed. Pin 4 goes to C36 and the transmit bandpass. Pin 5 goes to C59 and the detected receive audio path.