Topics

Palm Pico Paddle

Joe Street

No that is not the one.  That one came after but thanks for the wayback link because it did contain a link to the one I am talking about.  They called it mini-E-bug which was an unfortunate choice because it is not a bug at all but an iambic paddle and cmos keyer combo. It was the origin of Palm Radio actually.  The device works quite well but was a challenge to build.  I don't think very many were sold at all.  You can see photos here:

Joe ve3vxo

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 7:15 PM sigcom1 <sigcom@...> wrote:
Joe, do you mean the Palm Paddle with the Code Cube?  If so, it's here:
(this is safe) < https://tinyurl.com/qm9vugg >.

And I agree, it likely -is- worth a relative fortune :-).

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
               "Snort Rosin"

Joe Street

Now that I search with mini-E-bug rather than palm keyer I found some nice photos:

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 11:31 AM Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:
No that is not the one.  That one came after but thanks for the wayback link because it did contain a link to the one I am talking about.  They called it mini-E-bug which was an unfortunate choice because it is not a bug at all but an iambic paddle and cmos keyer combo. It was the origin of Palm Radio actually.  The device works quite well but was a challenge to build.  I don't think very many were sold at all.  You can see photos here:

Joe ve3vxo

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 7:15 PM sigcom1 <sigcom@...> wrote:
Joe, do you mean the Palm Paddle with the Code Cube?  If so, it's here:
(this is safe) < https://tinyurl.com/qm9vugg >.

And I agree, it likely -is- worth a relative fortune :-).

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
               "Snort Rosin"

Mark Janzer

Check out:
http://americanmorse.com/
It's not the Pico, but Doug has very good quality machined keys.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Joe Street

I have two of Dougs keys and can also vouch for them.  Those who are into $300-400.00 keys may scoff at the lack of ball bearings and silver contacts but these are pretty solidly made and good value for the money.  I have the SFP and also the porta-paddle which is really a fine key for portable operating.  I found that adding a stainless 4-40 washer at each end of the springs on the adjustments made them much easier to adjust and also more consistent in holding a setting.  N0SA makes a very similar small paddle for portable but with magnetic return action.  I don't like magnets in a portable situation, there are too many opportunities for little bits of magnetic metal to get picked up and collect where you don't want them.

Joe ve3vxo

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 3:28 PM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Check out:
http://americanmorse.com/
It's not the Pico, but Doug has very good quality machined keys.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Faisal Akber (VA3SFA)

I too have a couple of Doug's keys and agree with Joe.  He has the Ultra Portable Paddle which is near the size of a Pico Paddle. and very nice.

https://americanmorse.com/ultraportapaddle.htm

I really enjoy using this Ultra Portable Paddle.

72,
Faisal VA3SFA

On 2019-12-18 13:27, Joe Street wrote:

[...]

One point I will add,  The very small portable keys are only as useful as their mounting.  I made a base with leg strap for my porta-paddle.  With it strapped to my knee it makes a very stable mount and my leg becomes my arm rest.  Without strapping it on I find it next to useless.  In this photo you can see where I added the extra stainless washers at the ends of the springs.  Huge improvement.  Before I did that I found that in attempting to make a small adjustment of the contact space the spring would catch on the plastic thumbscrew cap and tend to spring back undoing most or all of the adjustment.  After adding the washers that headache is totally gone.

IMGP1705.JPG

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 4:50 PM <faisal@...> wrote:

I too have a couple of Doug's keys and agree with Joe.  He has the Ultra Portable Paddle which is near the size of a Pico Paddle. and very nice.

https://americanmorse.com/ultraportapaddle.htm

I really enjoy using this Ultra Portable Paddle.

72,
Faisal VA3SFA

Joe Street

A couple of photos of my own Palm Mini E Bug.  Any bidders?

IMGP1673.JPG
IMGP1672.JPG

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Joe Street <racingtheclouds@...> wrote:
[...]

Gwen Patton

I'm enjoying the heck out of W1SFR's Torsion Bar Cootie Paddle.

It's small enough to be nicely portable without being lilliputian. As for mounting it on something, because it's a tad light (maybe I should have gone the extra bucks for the Fat Boy...oh, well...), I stuck some really strong magnets on my recliner's built-in table. They're countersunk magnets with screw-holes in the middle, and I'd thought to remove the screw-on feet and put these in their place, then stick 'em to a steel plate on the table. The base of the key isn't magnetic, unfortunately. But the FEET are, under the rubber. So I left them on, and they fit most precisely into the countersink on top of the magnets, and it's just enough stick to stuck that key nice and tight to the table! It can still be removed easily enough, but unless I really haul back and slap the thing, it doesn't come undone with normal keying.

See pics, attached. The table detaches and stores neatly in the chair arm beneath it. The thing to the left is my Logitech wireless trackball. The tabletop is covered with no-skid shelf liner, stuck down in the corners with double-sided tape. I punched holes in it to stick the magnets to the tabletop. The liner is getting a little seedy...time to cut a new piece, I guess.

If that key isn't small enough, then maybe his portable key will serve.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Joe Street

A thing of beauty.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 9:35 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
[...]

John VA7JBE

Does anyone know if there's a single lever version of the 3d printed paddle?

Cheers,
John VA7JBE

Vojtech Bubnik

When we are at it, the following design likely trumps the designs of both of us:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3168497

I love the simplicity and accuracy of the movement. We did a quick test with Dan OK1HRA, we replaced the two springs with two rectangular magnets and the movement seems to be very nice.  The paddles would need a bit of redesign for the magnets as the magnets need to be closer, and there are no adjustment screws, but the general idea is excellent.

Vojtech OK1IAK

Stephen Wandling

Not wanting to highjack the thread, but here is the paddle that travels with my ATS3B. I probably got this about 10 years ago. The guy who made these had a house fire, but he salvaged this one only. I cannot remember his name. It is labeled Micro.

72
VE7NSD
Stephen

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019, 11:30 AM Vojtech Bubnik, <bubnikv@...> wrote:
When we are at it, the following design likely trumps the designs of both of us:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3168497

I love the simplicity and accuracy of the movement. We did a quick test with Dan OK1HRA, we replaced the two springs with two rectangular magnets and the movement seems to be very nice.  The paddles would need a bit of redesign for the magnets as the magnets need to be closer, and there are no adjustment screws, but the general idea is excellent.

Vojtech OK1IAK

W6IPA

In my case - I was not trying to build any paddle - but reproduce as much as possible the palm design - and adapt it for 3D print. I found that the main issue is around the reliability of contacts and having the right weight on paddle arms - this is why I use PCB with gold plating and a gold plated washer. I need to post the latest details.

I wish palm would continue to make their keys - this is also why I did not want to have commercial use of my files.

JC/W6IPA

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 11:30 AM Vojtech Bubnik <bubnikv@...> wrote:
When we are at it, the following design likely trumps the designs of both of us:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3168497

I love the simplicity and accuracy of the movement. We did a quick test with Dan OK1HRA, we replaced the two springs with two rectangular magnets and the movement seems to be very nice.  The paddles would need a bit of redesign for the magnets as the magnets need to be closer, and there are no adjustment screws, but the general idea is excellent.

Vojtech OK1IAK

Mark Janzer

The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Roy Appleton

What picture?

Roy
WA0YMH

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 11:33 AM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Gwen Patton

The Te-Ne-Ke is a fantastic little device. I have two of them, one in my shack, on a weighted base, and one in my go-box for my portable station. It's so compact and solid!

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 12:33 PM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

Stephen Wandling

Thank you. Yes that name rings a bell. It is tiny. I split the cork and put 3/4" of the key in and wired it shut. That made a useable handle. My protective case is a pill bottle with a small hole in the bottom. I threaded the cord through, from inside to outside. With the cap on, it has done the job.

72
VE7NSD
Stephen

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 9:33 AM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io, <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Stephen Wandling

Roy, this picture:

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 9:44 AM Roy Appleton, <twelveoclockhigh@...> wrote:
What picture?

Roy
WA0YMH

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 11:33 AM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

Roy Appleton

Oh, thank you, I didn't recognize it with the cork! LOL!

Roy
WA0YMH

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 12:36 PM Stephen Wandling <swandling@...> wrote:
Roy, this picture:

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 9:44 AM Roy Appleton, <twelveoclockhigh@...> wrote:
What picture?

Roy
WA0YMH

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 11:33 AM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
K5MGJ

John Evans

So it’s the same key only different.  LOL.  To me they are very different.

73 - John - n0hj

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 10:33 AM Mark Janzer via Groups.Io <k5mgj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The micro paddle shown is a tiny Te Ne Ke that the Ottawa club still sells in a larger size.

73
Mark
_._,_._,_