From: Al Clark <hotdogx@...>
Date: 12/17/19 9:53 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: kd1jvdesigns@groups.io
Subject: [kd1jvdesigns] Palm Pico Paddle

I'm looking for a Palm Pico Paddle in very good/excellent condition.

John

well then mine is up for 50% off at $225 usd shipped

comes with the original patch cord too and magentic mount
John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a lifestyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field

Vojtech Bubnik

$450? You are joking.

For that money, you may buy yourself a 3D printer and print one of these

My design
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1146525
inspired by the paddle by a machined paddle by OK1QO
https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=12596
which was inspired by the Palm paddles.

My desgin, improved and documented by OK1CDJ
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796850

or you may buy a printed and built one from OK1CDJ
https://www.hamshop.cz/vyhledavani/?istr=paddle&act=srch

73, Vojtech OK1IAK

dyerhard1972

I know I couldn't believe it. Now I'm afraid to use mine. Ha ha.
Jeff Ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

For that money, you may buy yourself a 3D printer and print one of these

My design
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1146525
inspired by the paddle by a machined paddle by OK1QO
https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=12596
which was inspired by the Palm paddles.

My desgin, improved and documented by OK1CDJ
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796850

or you may buy a printed and built one from OK1CDJ
https://www.hamshop.cz/vyhledavani/?istr=paddle&act=srch

73, Vojtech OK1IAK

John

I have put mine in a glass case and called my insurance agent to add it to the list of valuables

John ve3ips

On Tue., Dec. 17, 2019, 12:16 dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io, <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I know I couldn't believe it. Now I'm afraid to use mine. Ha ha.
Jeff Ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

For that money, you may buy yourself a 3D printer and print one of these

My design
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1146525
inspired by the paddle by a machined paddle by OK1QO
https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=12596
which was inspired by the Palm paddles.

My desgin, improved and documented by OK1CDJ
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796850

or you may buy a printed and built one from OK1CDJ
https://www.hamshop.cz/vyhledavani/?istr=paddle&act=srch

73, Vojtech OK1IAK

W6IPA

I’m printing my owns - much cheaper (but not as good - only close).

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 9:41 AM John <ve3ips@...> wrote:
[...]

Steven Weber

It’s amazing what some people think stuff is worth. But then, some of my ATS rigs sold for some insane money on occasion.

I saw a junk HB 40 meter rig for sale at $150. I offered 10, got rejected. Someone eventually bought the thing for close to the asking price. They got about 10 dollars in parts for that investment!

Steve KD1JV

I know I couldn't believe it. Now I'm afraid to use mine. Ha ha.

Jeff Ke4fwe

Marty NR3Z

Wow and to think I paid $80 for mines a few years ago.  I wish all my investments performed that well
73,
Marty NR3Z

Joe Street

I have the original and quite rare Palm Keyer which I built from a kit in the late 90's. You can't even find it via a web search anymore. Same form factor as the pico paddle but with a cmos iambic keyer inside.  I wonder what it would sell for?  Must be worth a small fortune if someone would pay $450 for just the paddle.

Joe ve3vxo

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:06 PM John <ve3ips@...> wrote:
well then mine is up for 50% off at $225 usd shipped

comes with the original patch cord too and magentic mount
John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a lifestyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field

sigcom1

Joe, do you mean the Palm Paddle with the Code Cube?  If so, it's here:
(this is safe) < https://tinyurl.com/qm9vugg >.

And I agree, it likely -is- worth a relative fortune :-).

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
               "Snort Rosin"

Mike Olbrisch

I too sometimes shake my head in wonder……..  OTOH, I have some items that I wouldn’t think of selling for any reasonable price.  In the end, if a seller and a buyer agree on a price, whatever that price is, then it isn’t unreasonable to them.

Heck – someone just paid 1,000,800.00 (That’s 1 million and 800 dollars) for the baseball bat that Babe Ruth hit his 500th home run with.  To me that is just a carved stick.  But to at least two people, the seller and the buyer, that carved stick was worth a whole lot.

I have a 1944 M-1 Garand rifle here, I rechambered it in the modern 7.62mm x 51mm cartridge, and dropped it in a glass-bedded laminate stock.  You can buy them through the CMP all day for $650.00.  I wouldn’t sell this one for $5,000.00.  On a calm day it will hold 1200 meters.

My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my radios and guns for what I told her I paid.  I hope my son will step up and help sell the guns.  The radios?  Maybe will them to the grandson (KI5DYU).

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

Big Bend JEEP Rear

It’s amazing what some people think stuff is worth. But then, some of my ATS rigs sold for some insane money on occasion.

I saw a junk HB 40 meter rig for sale at $150. I offered 10, got rejected. Someone eventually bought the thing for close to the asking price. They got about 10 dollars in parts for that investment!

Steve KD1JV

I know I couldn't believe it. Now I'm afraid to use mine. Ha ha.

Jeff Ke4fwe

David Wilcox

I finally found one from France.  Paid almost more than the new cost plus shipping.  Worth it though.  Keep looking.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Dec 17, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Al Clark <hotdogx@...> wrote:

I'm looking for a Palm Pico Paddle in very good/excellent condition.

Kieran D

I printed the v2 design and it turned out great.  I guess I'm confused how it actuates.  It doesn't seem to have any springs.

rthorne@...

I printed a set as well.  I need to track down the remaining parts (bearing, magnets etc).

It actuates with the magnets.  I still need to study where the magnets actually get installed.

Rich - N5ZC

On 12/18/2019 6:40 AM, Kieran D via Groups.Io wrote:
I printed the v2 design and it turned out great.  I guess I'm confused how it actuates.  It doesn't seem to have any springs.

Vojtech Bubnik

The design by W6IPA looks nice indeed, maybe I should try it.

The design of mine is a clone of OK1QO, I cloned his idea of the mechanics and the magnetic action. The two levers share the Z pole, and the bearings have a play in the Z plane. The two magnets repel the levers in both Z and X axis thus correcting for the play in the bearings. This design may provide more accurate movement than the Pico Paddle with the cost of slightly larger size and the weight of the two bearings.

BTW, I am living 3D printers for the last 4 years. I am with Prusa Research, where I lead development of the PrusaSlicer.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK

Kieran D

I thought the magnets were for the base?

Vojtech Bubnik

yes, these are for the base. That is the addition of Ondra OK1CDJ.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 4:37 PM Kieran D via Groups.Io <kieran2230=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I thought the magnets were for the base?

Vojtech Bubnik

It is really a collective design, hi.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 4:44 PM Vojtěch Bubník <bubnikv@...> wrote:
yes, these are for the base. That is the addition of Ondra OK1CDJ.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 4:37 PM Kieran D via Groups.Io <kieran2230=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I thought the magnets were for the base?

Kieran D

I guess there’s a set of magnets on each paddle.  I just didn’t see where they mounted.  Maybe they are glued?