Topics

Mtr3b kit problem

dyerhard1972

My name is jeff ke4fwe and I have a question for the group. Several month's ago I found an inbuilt mtr kit on ebay that I purchased and built. It all works great with one exception it won't go into paddle mode. It was the middle of winter so I set it aside. Well now the weather is nice and I would like to use it. I studied the schematic and found the dash goes to pin 9 of chip u10 strait shot. I believe this issue has two possible problems a bad plug and I have tried several different paddles. The other would be a bad and or miss programmed u10 chip. Has anyone had a similar issue? I plan on taking it apart and checking the plug for continuity this weekend. I hope it's the plug.
Jeff ke4fwe 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Steven Weber

If the dash input is low, it goes into straight key mode. There could be a short to ground or the port is blown and the internal pull up not working. If the later, the processor needs to be replaced. 

Steve kd1jv 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 12:41 PM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

My name is jeff ke4fwe and I have a question for the group. Several month's ago I found an inbuilt mtr kit on ebay that I purchased and built. It all works great with one exception it won't go into paddle mode. It was the middle of winter so I set it aside. Well now the weather is nice and I would like to use it. I studied the schematic and found the dash goes to pin 9 of chip u10 strait shot. I believe this issue has two possible problems a bad plug and I have tried several different paddles. The other would be a bad and or miss programmed u10 chip. Has anyone had a similar issue? I plan on taking it apart and checking the plug for continuity this weekend. I hope it's the plug.
Jeff ke4fwe 

dyerhard1972

If the processor needs to be replaced are they available? Thanks 
Jeff 

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/1/19 1:23 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: kd1jvdesigns@groups.io
Subject: Re: [kd1jvdesigns] Mtr3b kit problem

If the dash input is low, it goes into straight key mode. There could be a short to ground or the port is blown and the internal pull up not working. If the later, the processor needs to be replaced. 

Steve kd1jv 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 12:41 PM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jeff ke4fwe 

Jer Tres

i would suspect if LNR is still selling them (looks like they are),
then probably the processor is still around

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io
<Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

If the processor needs to be replaced are they available? Thanks
Jeff

Steve kd1jv

Jeff ke4fwe

dyerhard1972

Ok I took the back off this morning but the more i think about it the more i confuse myself. Here are the measurements I got.
Dit to dah 76k ohm power on 5.8m power off.
Dah to g 10.6m power on open power off.
Dit to g open both power on off. So if day is at 10.6m ohms to ground power on that's not enough to be short? So my chip would seem to be the issue. Correct??? Damn esd.
Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

John N0TA

Jeff,
Sounds like you need a new processor. This involves a new chip AND installing the firmware.

When Steve returns, he can probably prepare a processor for you with firmware. If this doesn't work out, please contact me, and I'll try to help. There are others on the list that can do this as well.
Good luck,
  - John, N0TA

On 5/2/2019 8:54 AM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
Ok I took the back off this morning but the more i think about it the more i confuse myself. Here are the measurements I got.
Dit to g open both power on off. So if day is at 10.6m ohms to ground power on that's not enough to be short? So my chip would seem to be the issue. Correct??? Damn esd.
Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

dyerhard1972

John that would be great. It will be difficult to remove but I have done similar things before I'll just cut a hole in a peace of aluminum foil and tape it over the part so I don't blow other parts off with the hot air. Thanks
Jeff ke4fwe 

Date: 5/2/19 11:52 AM (GMT-05:00)

Jeff,
Sounds like you need a new processor. This involves a new chip AND installing the firmware.

When Steve returns, he can probably prepare a processor for you with firmware. If this doesn't work out, please contact me, and I'll try to help. There are others on the list that can do this as well.
Good luck,
  - John, N0TA

Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

John N0TA

Jeff,
I have always used a small nozzle, and kept it directed at the component I need to remove - has worked for me. You probably will not need to add too much (if any) new paste for the new chip.

The processor is available from Mouser, and probably the other suppliers, too; however, you will still need to upload the firmware. I have fixed another MTR with a similar problem, so it is not too unusual.

Good Luck!
  - John

On 5/2/2019 10:13 AM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
John that would be great. It will be difficult to remove but I have done similar things before I'll just cut a hole in a peace of aluminum foil and tape it over the part so I don't blow other parts off with the hot air. Thanks
Jeff ke4fwe 

Jeff,

Good luck,
  - John, N0TA

Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

dyerhard1972

I think I can manage to change it out but I have no way to program the chip. My computer skills are less than marginal. Hopefully I can Grace someone's paypal and I can get a programmed chip. Thanks for the help and info.
Jeff ke4fwe 

Date: 5/2/19 3:58 PM (GMT-05:00)

Jeff,
I have always used a small nozzle, and kept it directed at the component I need to remove - has worked for me. You probably will not need to add too much (if any) new paste for the new chip.

The processor is available from Mouser, and probably the other suppliers, too; however, you will still need to upload the firmware. I have fixed another MTR with a similar problem, so it is not too unusual.

Good Luck!
  - John

Jeff ke4fwe 

Jeff,

Good luck,
  - John, N0TA

Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

Bill Noyce

Did you try it with your paddle plugged in?  Maybe there's an issue with the jack, the plug, or the paddle itself.

On Thu, May 2, 2019, 10:54 AM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

John N0TA

In that case, it would probably be best to wait until Steve is back.
  - John

On 5/2/2019 4:03 PM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
I think I can manage to change it out but I have no way to program the chip. My computer skills are less than marginal. Hopefully I can Grace someone's paypal and I can get a programmed chip. Thanks for the help and info.
Jeff ke4fwe 

Date: 5/2/19 3:58 PM (GMT-05:00)

Jeff,

Good Luck!
  - John

Jeff ke4fwe 

Jeff,

Good luck,
  - John, N0TA

Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe 

dyerhard1972

Yes I have tried several different paddles. I think it's the chip. Thanks
Jeff ke4fwe 

Date: 5/2/19 11:09 AM (GMT-05:00)

Did you try it with your paddle plugged in?  Maybe there's an issue with the jack, the plug, or the paddle itself.

On Thu, May 2, 2019, 10:54 AM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jeff ke4fwe  

Steve kd1jv 

Jeff ke4fwe