Topics

Mtr3b kit problem

dyerhard1972

My name is jeff ke4fwe and I have a question for the group. Several month's ago I found an inbuilt mtr kit on ebay that I purchased and built. It all works great with one exception it won't go into paddle mode. It was the middle of winter so I set it aside. Well now the weather is nice and I would like to use it. I studied the schematic and found the dash goes to pin 9 of chip u10 strait shot. I believe this issue has two possible problems a bad plug and I have tried several different paddles. The other would be a bad and or miss programmed u10 chip. Has anyone had a similar issue? I plan on taking it apart and checking the plug for continuity this weekend. I hope it's the plug.
Jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Steven Weber

If the dash input is low, it goes into straight key mode. There could be a short to ground or the port is blown and the internal pull up not working. If the later, the processor needs to be replaced.

Steve kd1jv

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 12:41 PM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

My name is jeff ke4fwe and I have a question for the group. Several month's ago I found an inbuilt mtr kit on ebay that I purchased and built. It all works great with one exception it won't go into paddle mode. It was the middle of winter so I set it aside. Well now the weather is nice and I would like to use it. I studied the schematic and found the dash goes to pin 9 of chip u10 strait shot. I believe this issue has two possible problems a bad plug and I have tried several different paddles. The other would be a bad and or miss programmed u10 chip. Has anyone had a similar issue? I plan on taking it apart and checking the plug for continuity this weekend. I hope it's the plug.
Jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

dyerhard1972

If the processor needs to be replaced are they available? Thanks
Jeff

[...]

Jer Tres

i would suspect if LNR is still selling them (looks like they are),
then probably the processor is still around

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io

From: Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...>
Date: 5/1/19 1:23 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: kd1jvdesigns@groups.io

[...]

John N0TA

Jeff,
Sounds like you need a new processor. This involves a new chip AND installing the firmware.

When Steve returns, he can probably prepare a processor for you with firmware. If this doesn't work out, please contact me, and I'll try to help. There are others on the list that can do this as well.
Good luck,
  - John, N0TA

On 5/2/2019 8:54 AM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

John that would be great. It will be difficult to remove but I have done similar things before I'll just cut a hole in a peace of aluminum foil and tape it over the part so I don't blow other parts off with the hot air. Thanks
[...]

I think I can manage to change it out but I have no way to program the chip. My computer skills are less than marginal. Hopefully I can Grace someone's paypal and I can get a programmed chip. Thanks for the help and info.
[...]

Bill Noyce

Did you try it with your paddle plugged in?  Maybe there's an issue with the jack, the plug, or the paddle itself.

On Thu, May 2, 2019, 10:54 AM dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io <Dyerhard1972=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

In that case, it would probably be best to wait until Steve is back.
  - John

On 5/2/2019 4:03 PM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Yes I have tried several different paddles. I think it's the chip. Thanks