Topics

ATS-V5; Photo has diode pointing the wrong way

W3DX

Hi Steve:

It looks to me like the photo of the RF Board in the manual shows D1 pointing the wrong way. The board shows the band pointing towards the top of the board on the PC Board, but the component that’s soldered in is pointing downwards toward the bottom of the board.

The board diagram is consistent with the schematic: D1 cathode connected to C1, R2 and R4. So the diode might be in backwards in the photo.

73,

Rob, W3DX

Steven Weber

I forgot about that. Didn’t notice until I tried to power up the board. Had already taken the photo…

Steve

Hi Steve:

It looks to me like the photo of the RF Board in the manual shows D1 pointing the wrong way. The board shows the band pointing towards the top of the board on the PC Board, but the component that’s soldered in is pointing downwards toward the bottom of the board.

The board diagram is consistent with the schematic: D1 cathode connected to C1, R2 and R4. So the diode might be in backwards in the photo.

73,

Rob, W3DX

Chuck Nolin

Hello Rob,
How is the new kit build going?
I was just wondering, What is the correct process to get a kit on order?

Thanks,
Chuck Nolin
WA6LTV

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

I forgot about that. Didn’t notice until I tried to power up the board. Had already taken the photo…

Steve

Hi Steve:

It looks to me like the photo of the RF Board in the manual shows D1 pointing the wrong way. The board shows the band pointing towards the top of the board on the PC Board, but the component that’s soldered in is pointing downwards toward the bottom of the board.

The board diagram is consistent with the schematic: D1 cathode connected to C1, R2 and R4. So the diode might be in backwards in the photo.

73,

Rob, W3DX

W3DX

Hi Chuck:

First, this is a fabulous design. I really love trail friendly radios, and this one has an amazing feature set and super-cool packaging. One of my favorite designs of all time!

In answer to your question, I’ve built quite a few of Steve’s other kits, including the ATS3B, ATS4, MTR2, MTR3, MTR5B and Soda Pop. So Steve’s designs are very familiar to me. I was also a Field Tester for Elecraft for their original K2, and for the KX1, KX2, KX3, K3, T1 and other radios. So it’s going very well. I’ve installed all of the IC’s, and am almost done with the resistors. I hope to have the radio finished by the end of the weekend, and am already beginning to think about how I want to package the ATS-V5 for field use (inside Pelican case, on a clipboard, etc.)

At this stage, I’ve found small documentation errors, and am just reporting anything that I find so that other builders will have a heads up and so that Steve can update the documentation.

Regarding the difficulty of the ATS-V5, it’s very deceptive. Folks might think “Altoids case = simple”. But Altoids case = surface mount = very challenging. In this case, there are two double sided boards. I’m 61 years old, so I wear reading glasses. I’m building this with an illuminated head magnifier that has two flip down levels of magnification and a built-in loupe that you can swivel in front of the right eye. I’m having to look for parts orientation and check the soldering with both levels of magnification and the loupe! Some of the writing on the semiconductors is practically microscopic.

I’ve built around 10 kits with surface mount parts, so this is a lot of fun for me. And it would be a really fun kit for anyone who has worked with surface mount parts. And as a field tester, I’m OK with shaking down a user’s guide. But for first time builders, I would start with older KD1JV designs with through-hole components. (A number of great kits are sold on qrpkits.com). After building 2-3 through-hole kits, builders could try to tackle something like the ATS-V5.

Regarding the process to buy Steve’s kits, he’s entirely in charge of that, so I’ll defer to Steve so I don’t get in trouble.

73,

Rob, W3DX

W3DX

Steve- Sounds good. I’ll let you know if I see anything else. I hope to be through the kit this weekend. W3DX