From: Norm. N7NSD
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 3:50 PM
To: kd1jvdesigns@groups.io
Subject: [kd1jvdesigns] ATS V5 C2

Those of you who are using an iron rather than solder paste will find this variable cap to be a challenge. The one I got is the same size as the solder pads. I first flowed enough solder on the pad on the square end to just cover the pad and then put the fine tip of the iron in the middle of the pad while sliding the cap up to it with tweezers. After a second or two to get everything hot, I pushed the cap and iron tip to the edge of the pad until I could just see the edge of the pad on the cut corner end. After confirming the square end was firm I soldered the second end and confirmed contact with an LCR meter and a screwdriver. Solder paste takes all the fun away.

Stephen Wandling

Norm,

I disagree that solder paste takes away all the fun. For me it is amazing to see the parts turn and align with the pads, when the paste melts, as I am heating them with the embossing heat gun.

Kind of like a dance. Amazing!

72

Stephen
VE7NSD

On Sun., Jun. 21, 2020, 12:50 p.m. Norm. N7NSD, <n7nsd@...> wrote:
Those of you who are using an iron rather than solder paste will find this variable cap to be a challenge. The one I got is the same size as the solder pads. I first flowed enough solder on the pad on the square end to just cover the pad and then put the fine tip of the iron in the middle of the pad while sliding the cap up to it with tweezers. After a second or two to get everything hot, I pushed the cap and iron tip to the edge of the pad until I could just see the edge of the pad on the cut corner end. After confirming the square end was firm I soldered the second end and confirmed contact with an LCR meter and a screwdriver. Solder paste takes all the fun away.

Norm. N7NSD

Stephen,
You missed the sarcasm in my voice. Hand soldering takes a level of concentration that distracts me from my day job. Paste is fast fun and easy but over way too soon.

73

Stephen Wandling

Norm,

Yes much is lost in written communications. Laughing is Hi Hi. Not sure about sarcasm. Maybe the statement followed by . . . Not!

Stephen
VE7NSD

On Sun., Jun. 21, 2020, 5:30 p.m. Norm. N7NSD, <n7nsd@...> wrote:

Stephen,
You missed the sarcasm in my voice. Hand soldering takes a level of concentration that distracts me from my day job. Paste is fast fun and easy but over way too soon.

73

ohwenzelph

I love solder paste. And it is still work but I think overall less, in my opinion a good thing. Does take some skill and the result can be quite satisfying. Both are good, your choice.
73