Topics

ATS-V5

Steven Weber

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Michael Maiorana

That looks great Steve! Can't wait to build one.
Mike M.
KU4QO

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Shawn Reed

Hello Steven. How is the height with the red knob missing? Can some modification be made to shorten things that way? Shawnr. kf7yff

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 7:51:11 AM PST, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Tim McDonough N9PUZ

Very nice! Please keep me on the list if one exists.

Tim N9PUZ

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 9:51 AM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

John

Steve this is QRP porn and I like it ...a lot!
John VE3IPS

Ham Radio is a lifestyle not a Hobby!
Take the radio outside and operate from the Field

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 11:50 AM Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
Very nice! Please keep me on the list if one exists.

Tim N9PUZ

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 9:51 AM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

David Perry

That looks fab Steve.  Your v5 can be my first Weber build.  Make sure I get one cross this side of the pond...

David G4YVM

Steven Weber

The knob isn’t the issue. It’s the thickness of the volume control which limits how thin I can make that sandwich.

The control has four plastic posts on the bottom which stand it off the board. If I make holes for them to sit in and open up the mounting holes for the frame, it looks like I can get the clearance I need. Don’t need much and it’s actually probably okay as it is, there would just be a little gap around the upper lip of the tin and the front panel board.

KD1JV

Hello Steven. How is the height with the red knob missing? Can some modification be made to shorten things that way? Shawnr. kf7yff

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 7:51:11 AM PST, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

dyerhard1972

You could just use an adjustable pot with a hole in the top board. Adjust it where you want and then it's just fixed volume.
Jeff Ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

The knob isn’t the issue. It’s the thickness of the volume control which limits how thin I can make that sandwich.

The control has four plastic posts on the bottom which stand it off the board. If I make holes for them to sit in and open up the mounting holes for the frame, it looks like I can get the clearance I need. Don’t need much and it’s actually probably okay as it is, there would just be a little gap around the upper lip of the tin and the front panel board.

KD1JV

Hello Steven. How is the height with the red knob missing? Can some modification be made to shorten things that way? Shawnr. kf7yff

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 7:51:11 AM PST, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Mike Olbrisch

NICE!

My opinion, the perfect part at $3.50 isn’t a deal breaker.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

Big Bend JEEP Rear

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Kieran D

I’m not too knowledgeable, but why not use a slide potentiometer?  May be the same depth though.

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 12:27 PM, Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...> wrote:

NICE!

My opinion, the perfect part at $3.50 isn’t a deal breaker.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

Big Bend JEEP Rear

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Shawn Reed

I agree. For a few dollars more, we can call it a Land Rover. 73, Shawnr. kf7yff.

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 10:27:45 AM PST, Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...> wrote:

NICE!

My opinion, the perfect part at $3.50 isn’t a deal breaker.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

Big Bend JEEP Rear

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Michael N6MST

Definitely gonna need one of these. You sure about limiting this to 50 units? :)

Daniel - W4ABN

Depending on the unit price, I might be interested in this little radio. Looks really good to go along with my ATS-3B.

Daniel
W4ABN

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 10:51:11 AM EST, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Ryan Quagliata

Ok that is spectacular!
Count me in too

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 8:51 AM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I decided to name the new Altoids compatible rig the ATS-V5 – V5 for Version 5.

The front panel board came out looking nice, although I messed up the hole locations for the PB switches.

I still need to reduce the height of the assembly though. It’s about 10 mills too high to sit flush with the top lip of the tin. The only way I can reduce the height a little more is to use a lower profile volume control. The only control I can find which would do the trick costs like $3.50 in modest quantities. Oh well. With that control I can recess the knob like I did for the encoder which is a plus.

Steven Weber

Yea, I was thinking about that, but then I really need AGC and right now don’t. Probably need it though. Trimmer would set your desired maximum volume.

Or, maybe just a high/med/low volume switch?

Steve

[...]

n2msqrp

Steve

Extra height is fine by me.

 Whatever you decide count me in.

Mike N2MS

[...]

VK3IL

Not sure the distribution of functions between the 2 boards, but one option would be to move both the volume pot and encoder to the bottom board and use longer shaft versions going through the upper board. This would allow knobs to be recessed much lower.

Regards,

David.
VK3IL

P.S: I'm interested too if there is any sort of list...

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 9:37 AM n2msqrp <mstangelo@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi, medium,  low sounds good also.
Jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

The knob isn’t the issue. It’s the thickness of the volume control which limits how thin I can make that sandwich.

The control has four plastic posts on the bottom which stand it off the board. If I make holes for them to sit in and open up the mounting holes for the frame, it looks like I can get the clearance I need. Don’t need much and it’s actually probably okay as it is, there would just be a little gap around the upper lip of the tin and the front panel board.

KD1JV

Hello Steven. How is the height with the red knob missing? Can some modification be made to shorten things that way? Shawnr. kf7yff

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 7:51:11 AM PST, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

dyerhard1972

You just make it the way you like it. I have never been disappointed with any thing you have come up with.

Is something like this feasible?  A trim pot/knob combo.  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9806