Topics

ATS3 behavior

Andriy Gronau (KD2KUB)

While trying to activate KFF2138 Selkirk Shores State Park this past weekend, I tried to use my ATS3. I was running it with a LIPO Bioenno battery fully charged with a voltage regulator to ensure I was below 12vDC. Any time I would attempt to key up, that transceiver would seem to reboot regurgitating "ATS3," in CW.

Another behavior i came across was no power out, but intermittently. I would have my battery as described above connected, when it would send, and get no power out. From I did notice the side tone would sound funny, I would describe it like an old tube heathkit not properly aligned where the side tone sounds funky.

All seemed remediated when I used a 9V battery.

I'm sure I did no damage to it's internals as when I got home and put it on my home station, I was pushing 5W with a 9V battery making it into RBN on 20M.

Could it be overvoltage? maybe the bad board was in backwards? Any other ideas?

Curio

--Andriy, KD2KUB

Mike Olbrisch

From your description. I would suspect RF getting into the battery.  Many of those batteries have control circuitry, and some combination of cable and antenna length and position may have passed RF to the wrong places.

I have never cared much for the Bio-Enno batteries anyway, but next tile try changing the length of the power connection , position of various components, maybe a toroid on the power cable, see if you can change the situation enough to determine something.

Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC.

El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.

SOTA W5T-Texas Association Manager.

NA-SOTA info is at:  http://na-sota.org/

[...]

Thanks Mike, I’ll give that a try as well.

Just for kicks, I tried my power supply that I know is good with the same setup, using the voltage regulator. It looks like I’m seeming the same behavior.

From your description. I would suspect RF getting into the battery.  Many of those batteries have control circuitry, and some combination of cable and antenna length and position may have passed RF to the wrong places.

--
--Andriy, KD2KUB

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Likely the voltage regulator is not able to supply the current needed and shuts down.
Also RF getting into some regulators will do that.  You didn't specify what regulator
was used or anything about the antenna (field setup).

There is likely no radio issue as you have tested it and it seems to work.

Allison