Topics

Alternative encoder UI

Gregory KC5OFG

Might there be a wheel that could be positioned close to the surface and operated by rolling a thumb over it (up/down or left/right depending on orientation)? Similar to a trackball. This would be to reduce the profile of a standing encoder knob for catching on things, yet be superior to button use.

72,
Greg, KC5OFG

Gregory KC5OFG

Like a mouse wheel.
Greg

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Why not extract a mouse wheel from an old mouse and make an encoder?

its been done by other and I've seen that on the net.

Yea but making it work mechanically is a challenge. And I can guarantee no two mouses are the same.

I have been debating going back to PB tuning and no volume control again – but… Even though I kind of don’t like the idea of protruding knobs, they do make it somewhat easier to use.

Steve KD1JV

Why not extract a mouse wheel from an old mouse and make an encoder?

its been done by other and I've seen that on the net.

Allison

Ronald Pfeiffer

With a tft display with touch you can program up/down/left and
right swiping. No protrusion.

On December 9, 2019 at 2:50 PM Gregory KC5OFG <gcarrier@...> wrote:

Might there be a wheel that could be positioned close to the surface and operated by rolling a thumb over it (up/down or left/right depending on orientation)? Similar to a trackball. This would be to reduce the profile of a standing encoder knob for catching on things, yet be superior to button use.

72,
Greg, KC5OFG

Steven Weber

Then I’d have to find a touch screen display and figure out how to make that work 😊

KD1JV

With a tft display with touch you can program up/down/left and

right swiping.  No protrusion.

> On December 9, 2019 at 2:50 PM Gregory KC5OFG <gcarrier@...> wrote:

> Might there be a wheel that could be positioned close to the surface and operated by rolling a thumb over it (up/down or left/right depending on orientation)? Similar to a trackball. This would be to reduce the profile of a standing encoder knob for catching on things, yet be superior to button use.

> 72,

> Greg, KC5OFG

Ken Talbott

No protrusion please. Remember the unprotected volume wheelie?

Ken ke4rg

Then I’d have to find a touch screen display and figure out how to make that work 😊

KD1JV

With a tft display with touch you can program up/down/left and

right swiping.  No protrusion.

> On December 9, 2019 at 2:50 PM Gregory KC5OFG <gcarrier@...> wrote:

> Might there be a wheel that could be positioned close to the surface and operated by rolling a thumb over it (up/down or left/right depending on orientation)? Similar to a trackball. This would be to reduce the profile of a standing encoder knob for catching on things, yet be superior to button use.

> 72,

> Greg, KC5OFG

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Cheap touchscreens are usually resistive, don't work all that well, and don't support swipes. Touchscreens also have to be polled periodically (at a fairly high frequency if you want to support gestures), which could be an issue for whatever modest microcontroller is in that radio. (I don't even see one in the pictures, which means it may be hiding under the display.)

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 7:34 PM Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

Then I’d have to find a touch screen display and figure out how to make that work 😊

KD1JV

With a tft display with touch you can program up/down/left and

right swiping.  No protrusion.

> On December 9, 2019 at 2:50 PM Gregory KC5OFG <gcarrier@...> wrote:

> Might there be a wheel that could be positioned close to the surface and operated by rolling a thumb over it (up/down or left/right depending on orientation)? Similar to a trackball. This would be to reduce the profile of a standing encoder knob for catching on things, yet be superior to button use.

> 72,

> Greg, KC5OFG

John VA7JBE

I suppose one could put the encoder knob on the side of the enclosure next to the BNC jack, that would at least help it blend in a bit.

Cheers,
John VA7JBE

Gregory KC5OFG

Near other parts could help. A special plug in a jack might cover, or ramp to, the encode knob.
A normal encoder knob could be recessed such that only the top, say half or 3/4, protrudes. Maybe a hole through the board with the connections below the board.
(just slinging out crazy thoughts)