From: ajparent1/kb1gmx <kb1gmx@...>
Date: 5/8/19 12:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: kd1jvdesigns@groups.io
Subject: Re: [kd1jvdesigns] Mmr 40

You can get the manual from QRPkits as that will be more complete and updated from the QST article.

Good radio!  I deadbugged one for 20M but didn't use the VFO as I had the si5351 from generating
the LO

Allison

John N0TA

Please excuse the stupid question: what is a MMR 40?
  - 73, John

On 5/7/2019 7:34 PM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
Has anyone built the mmr 40 qrp transceiver dead bug style and if so what were your thoughts about it when finished?  I'm thinking of taking on the project. Thanks
Jeff ke4fwe

John,

https://www.qrpkits.com/mmr40.html

Its a tough build but it was fun.
--
73

David

N8DAH

Shop.Kit-Projects.com

dyerhard1972

It's a ssb/cw transceiver designed by steaven.  It's on his web page you should check it out. You can build it dead bug style or make a pcb or get a kit. It's out put is about 5 watts and it has a pto instead of a vfo.
Jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Please excuse the stupid question: what is a MMR 40?
  - 73, John

On 5/7/2019 7:34 PM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
Has anyone built the mmr 40 qrp transceiver dead bug style and if so what were your thoughts about it when finished?  I'm thinking of taking on the project. Thanks
Jeff ke4fwe

Norm. N7NSD

I have an unbuilt kit that I would be willing to sell if you are interested.

Wm David Collins

I saw it on Hendricks web site but it was discontinued. I emailed him and he had one more laying around that he sold to me. I've yet to build it. Maybe I'll  bring it out and build it up!
David, N4WDC

It's a ssb/cw transceiver designed by steaven.  It's on his web page you should check it out. You can build it dead bug style or make a pcb or get a kit. It's out put is about 5 watts and it has a pto instead of a vfo.
Jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Please excuse the stupid question: what is a MMR 40?
  - 73, John

On 5/7/2019 7:34 PM, dyerhard1972 via Groups.Io wrote:
Has anyone built the mmr 40 qrp transceiver dead bug style and if so what were your thoughts about it when finished?  I'm thinking of taking on the project. Thanks
Jeff ke4fwe

Glenn S

I built one up from scratch a few years ago, it works well.  A DDS was used instead of the PTO, here is the write up:
https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/transceiver-for-backpacking/

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY

dyerhard1972

Glenn
 I read your write up and wow I wish you were my neighbor.  This will be my first build with out buying a kit. I will be lucky to get it to work with the pto. I do want to build a dds vfo for it though. it will for sure be a learning experience for me. Thanks for chiming in.

From: Glenn S <glenn.vk3yy@...>

Date: 5/9/19 12:01 AM (GMT-05:00)

To: kd1jvdesigns@groups.io

I built one up from scratch a few years ago, it works well.  A DDS was used instead of the PTO, here is the write up:
https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/transceiver-for-backpacking/

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY

dyerhard1972

Steve if it's the same xicon on the web claims to have 4645 of part number 42if222.  I hope it's the same. I also read somewhere that I could use toroids in place of. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get them  correct .
Jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I built one up from scratch a few years ago, it works well.  A DDS was used instead of the PTO, here is the write up:
https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/transceiver-for-backpacking/

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY

Dennis Anderson

The 10.7 cans that are now obsolete there is a replacement but you’ll need to experiment with a capacitor. As this version does not have an internal 47 pF capacitor

Spectrum Communcations -

http://www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/Components.htm

The value you need is - 5U3H

Best regards

Dennis G6YBC

On Friday, May 10, 2019, 12:08 am, Steven Weber <steve.kd1jv@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Steve while I have you. I built a mtr3b kit over winter that I found on ebay. I think I have messed up the u10 chip esd I guess. The dash won't work but the dot does fine. How do I get a new programmed chip. I would be glad to send a check or paypal or what ever.
Thanks jeff ke4fwe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I built one up from scratch a few years ago, it works well.  A DDS was used instead of the PTO, here is the write up:
https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/transceiver-for-backpacking/

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Steve,

I did use toroids as I had them, built for 20M, and it was fine but it was not a cramped build
so not a big factor.  I found getting 10.7if cans to work (cap removed) on 20M was less than
optimum and opening them up and taking turns off more painful than winding a toroid.  IF
shielding was an issue being dead bug I could use 3/4" tall  divider walls made of copper clad
soldered to the base board.

The bigger issue is that tuning up using toroids mandated trimmer caps, so using 10.7 IF cans
for 40M is they are adjustable and much more convenient.

Well, the rig was designed to work on 40….

Steve

Steve,

I did use toroids as I had them, built for 20M, and it was fine but it was not a cramped build
so not a big factor.  I found getting 10.7if cans to work (cap removed) on 20M was less than
optimum and opening them up and taking turns off more painful than winding a toroid.  IF
shielding was an issue being dead bug I could use 3/4" tall  divider walls made of copper clad
soldered to the base board.

The bigger issue is that tuning up using toroids mandated trimmer caps, so using 10.7 IF cans
for 40M is they are adjustable and much more convenient.

Allison

dyerhard1972

I think I can manage I have hot air and will shield sorounding parts with aluminum foul.