Re: Not all solder pastes are created equal

John N0TA

I have tried a lot of different solder pastes, and have been most happy with what I got from Chip Quik. Currently, I'm using a syringe of SMD291AX (Sn63/Pb37 No-Clean T3 Solder Paste)

On 2/16/2019 10:13 AM, Steven Weber wrote:

If the paste is too cold it doesn’t flow very well. My paste starts out at about 50 degrees due to the fact I don’t heat the room until I need to work in it. So I hold it over the electric space heater for a little bit as I warm the room up enough to work in. Then my hand keeps it warm enough as it put down the paste.

I also find I have to poke a wire up into the syringe once in a while to get the flux to mix back up into the lead/tin balls.

Try that and see if it helps.

73, Steve KD1JV

I started on my SB II last night - or tried to, only to find that the paste I ordered is too paste-like and not "liquidy" enough to be applied to the board. Instead, it pulls away with the syringe rather than adhering to the pad I try applying it to. FWIW, this is the paste I ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kester-EP256-Lead-Solder-Paste-63-37-Syringe-Dispenser-w-additional-tips/201842021162?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There must be something out there with a bit less viscosity. The one part currently on the board is Q2, put there with standard soldering methods (a small-tipped iron).