Re: Slop Bucket II Build So Far

I'm a hand solderer for the most part.  I usually only use solder paste for
fine pitch QFN parts and tougher packages.  My heat gun is better at taking
components off than putting them on, so I have to be careful.

On a side note, I went to DesignCon in Santa Clara, CA last week.  Eagle/AutoDesk
had a SMT hands-on assembly project: a fidget spinner.  They gave a kit of parts,
you take the PCB to the buy applying solder paste using a stencil, place the parts,
and hand it to the lady putting PCBs in the oven.  Walk the floor for 15 minutes
and repeat for the other side of the PCB.  They said they've done this a few years.
The spinner had an Atmel uC, some LEDs, a few resistors, and switches as well
as a coin cell.
It reminded me that I always seem to use too much paste on my own work.

73,
John
W1JDS

On 2/8/2019 11:30 AM, John AE5X wrote:
A question for you more experienced SMD-with-solder-paste builders:

Are you pre-heating the populated circuit board with a hotplate or just using a hot air gun alone?

Tnx/73,

John AE5X