PDRA Monday night Dstar net.

Jim McCloskey

I've decided after running the net for the past 13 years that Monday's net will be my last. It's been a really enjoyable experience and a lot of fun.  After noticing a serious lack of interest from club members and non members from checking in and participating, that I believe it's time to call it quits. All good things must come to an end as they say. Hopefully as the pandemic fades into history, face to face club activities will begin again and we can reinvigorate the club into the premier organization
that's its been.
Thanks to all those who been a part of the net with me all these years. Hopefully I'll see you at a club meeting soon. Chat with you on the air.

73, de Jim   NS3K

Jim Fisher AJ3DI

Thank you Jim. I too am disappointed in the lack of participation in
the Net, the 13 Colonies, and meetings too.

It's been a fantastic run.

--
jim fisher
Jedijf

Mark Hinkel

To Jim and All,

Thank you Jim, you have done more than your job at Philadelphia Digital Radio.  You tenure as net control is admirable.

Summer time is after all vacation time, not the best time to have nets or club meetings.  Several clubs specifically do not hold meetings during the Summer because of low attendance.

Let me suggest that K3PDR suspend the Monday night net for the month of August and pick things up after labor Day.  I'm sure there are several club members who will share the net control duties and we can work out a monthly schedule for each of us.

Mark  WA3QVU

I've decided after running the net for the past 13 years that Monday's net will be my last. It's been a really enjoyable experience and a lot of fun.  After noticing a serious lack of interest from club members and non members from checking in and participating, that I believe it's time to call it quits. All good things must come to an end as they say. Hopefully as the pandemic fades into history, face to face club activities will begin again and we can reinvigorate the club into the premier organization that's its been.

Thanks to all those who been a part of the net with me all these years. Hopefully I'll see you at a club meeting soon. Chat with you on the air.

73, de Jim   NS3K

fstfish66@aol.com

sorry to see it  end,,,im just new at D STAR, thanks    don  KC3IGJ

I've decided after running the net for the past 13 years that Monday's net will be my last. It's been a really enjoyable experience and a lot of fun.  After noticing a serious lack of interest from club members and non members from checking in and participating, that I believe it's time to call it quits. All good things must come to an end as they say. Hopefully as the pandemic fades into history, face to face club activities will begin again and we can reinvigorate the club into the premier organization
that's its been.
Thanks to all those who been a part of the net with me all these years. Hopefully I'll see you at a club meeting soon. Chat with you on the air.

73, de Jim   NS3K

Steve K3FZT

Jim- Thank you for introducing me to D*Star and helping me to get started in that mode. I hope that PDRA finds a way forward after we come out of summer doldrums. I remain very interested in digital communication modes and am more than willing to contribute my efforts and time to the club's activities.

73 de K3FZT / Steve

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 10:40 PM Jim McCloskey <Jmccloskey@...> wrote:
I've decided after running the net for the past 13 years that Monday's net will be my last. It's been a really enjoyable experience and a lot of fun.  After noticing a serious lack of interest from club members and non members from checking in and participating, that I believe it's time to call it quits. All good things must come to an end as they say. Hopefully as the pandemic fades into history, face to face club activities will begin again and we can reinvigorate the club into the premier organization
that's its been.
Thanks to all those who been a part of the net with me all these years. Hopefully I'll see you at a club meeting soon. Chat with you on the air.

73, de Jim   NS3K

--
73 de K3FZT / Steve

Stuart - N3GWG

Jim,

Whilst I have not been one of the more frequent club members checking into the net, I stand most greatly appreciative of all your hard work running it for all these years.

I have many times heard hams decry that nets are a relic of the past with everyone answering their mobile phone all but 24 hours a day from anywhere today or never hearing any "emergency traffic" on them anymore. However, the foregoing notwithstanding, nets remain a persistent part of Amateur Radio by offering a very special social component that impels us to schedule time to be on the air. Moreover, I personally enjoyed the humorous and cheerfully funny weekly comments of those frequenting the net and such are hard to replace in any other medium or format.

Thanks again for all the hard work and commitment.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, BScCS, N3GWG (Extra), MROP
Computer Scientist / FCC Licensed Radio Operator

Las Vegas, NV / Philadelphia, PA

(310) 358-0202 Mobile Phone
(215) 338-6005 Google Voice

Norm Davis

Jim your voice on the air will be missed by all that participated all those years that you devoted to us all ! We'll all look forward to seeing you when our live meetings resume hopefully in the near future.  Many thanks for promoting our website which would have never reached the volume of hits without your input ! Catch you on the air my friend !

73   Norm   KB3WBN

On 7/24/2021 10:40 PM, Jim McCloskey wrote:
I've decided after running the net for the past 13 years that Monday's net will be my last. It's been a really enjoyable experience and a lot of fun.  After noticing a serious lack of interest from club members and non members from checking in and participating, that I believe it's time to call it quits. All good things must come to an end as they say. Hopefully as the pandemic fades into history, face to face club activities will begin again and we can reinvigorate the club into the premier organization
that's its been.
Thanks to all those who been a part of the net with me all these years. Hopefully I'll see you at a club meeting soon. Chat with you on the air.

73, de Jim   NS3K

Jim McCloskey

Thanks Norm. Chat with you soon.

Jim, NS3K

[...]

Appreciate it.

Jim, NS3K

[...]

Daryl Stout

Jim,

  As I said in a previous email, while I couldn't check into the net regularly, because of work with a packet net at the same time (more on that in a minute), I'm glad I was able to checkin when I could, and to be a member of PDRA...even though I'm too far away to get there. You, also as Treasurer, helped me work out dues issues, and I appreciated Patrick, N3TSZ, for his help with D-Rats.

  As for the nets itself, there are basically "too many nets, and too little time". In the Excel Net List Spreadsheets that are off a hyperlink on my QRZ bio (where there are close to 200 D-Star, Echolink, and D-Rats Nets), I noted one night where there are 6 nets meeting at the same time. Many hams are "net hoppers", or what I call "Hi, Bye, and QSY checkins"...("Net Control, please checkin [callsign], [name], [location], no traffic, short time")...and not a minute later, they're doing it again on another net. Rick, KA2BSM, who does work with the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) out of Memphis, plus doing their net, and the Memphis Digital Amateur Radio Club (MDARC (the darc side of digital (hi hi)) Net, wonders if these folks have a life outside of ham radio. There is no prize, bonus, award, certificate, etc. for seeing how many nets one can check into in a day or evening. To me, folks who just do this, are in the hobby for their ego, and nothing more. When I check into a net, I try to participate, and stay as long as I can. But, I've also reduced the number of nets I'm involved with. It got to be such a mad rush with checkins, that I either waited toward the end of the net to checkin, or just didn't bother to checkin at all. Right now, I do nets on Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday evening, Friday morning and evening, and the 3rd Saturday afternoon...that's enough. This way, I get Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday night off.

  When I originally did the Trains Net on Echolink for over 8 years, we suspended it between Memorial Day and Labor Day, as folks were traveling, and it gave Net Control (yours truly) a break from being there every week. Some have complained about the way I do a net, but when I ask if they want to make the commitment to do it, they backpedal. Everyone wants the glory and the benefits of everything (including hobbies), but no wants the gall and the work...whether for heading up an event, being Net Control, or a club officer. And, if you ask them, they'll tell you in no uncertain terms what you can do with your request...and it won't be pretty.

  As for the Packet Net, I alternate Net Control with another ham, and am also the scribe for it. Then after it, I alternate Net Control with another ham for the HotSpot, Raspberry Pi, Single Board Computer (SBC), and ZumSpot Net on the QuadNet Array. But, so many times, it's difficult to find a backup net control...and I've known nets that shut down, because the work schedule of net control changed...yet, no one would step up to the plate, as it were, to keep it going. There is more to life than ham radio nets, and this is, after all, a HOBBY.

  Next, you have the kids nowadays who are so enamored with their tablets and smartphones, that they don't give a rats rear-end about the heritage, history, current state, or future of, said hobby. Then, you have some long time folks who refuse to embrace new technologies, etc., or feel that "any form of internet radio is not ham radio". Many nets would've died on the vine years ago for lack of participation, had VoIP and digital modes like Echolink and D-Star, not developed. Covid-19 was stressful enough, keeping folks at home, cancelling events, etc. The loneliness factor is magnified for those whose health has changed (sometimes in the blink of an eye), where they have to go to a nursing home or an assisted living center...but RF gear is forbidden, to due possible negative interaction with medical devices. I can vouch for the loneliness in nursing homes...my late Mom was in one well over a year before her death nearly 2 years ago. Yet, the "purists", apparently would penalize a long time ham, who did RF, etc. -- but now, through no fault of their own, it's either operate "internet radio" to keep the loneliness away...or give up a hobby they loved, then they get depressed, and then lose the will to live.

  In many cases, being Net Control, and/or a Club Officer, is a thankless job. I've been doing nets ever since I was first licensed 30 years ago, so I know what it's like on this side of the mic. Thank you so much for your commitment to PDRA over the years. While sorry to see the net go, I have to admit that if no one is checking in, or if one gets burned out, there's no point in continuing it.

Daryl, WX4QZ, Little Rock, Arkansas

WA3GTL@...

This is Harvey’s wife Elinore just letting you know how much he enjoyed your net. It will be missed!

Harvey
Harvey Kolodner

On Jul 24, 2021, at 10:40 PM, Jim McCloskey <Jmccloskey@...> wrote:

I've decided after running the net for the past 13 years that Monday's net will be my last. It's been a really enjoyable experience and a lot of fun.  After noticing a serious lack of interest from club members and non members from checking in and participating, that I believe it's time to call it quits. All good things must come to an end as they say. Hopefully as the pandemic fades into history, face to face club activities will begin again and we can reinvigorate the club into the premier organization
that's its been.
Thanks to all those who been a part of the net with me all these years. Hopefully I'll see you at a club meeting soon. Chat with you on the air.

73, de Jim   NS3K

Jim McCloskey

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim, NS3K