Rider support for the 40th annual Covered Bridges Ride - Sunday Oct 10th, 2021

Mark Hinkel

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hinkel <mrhinkel@...>
To: Mark Hinkel <mrhinkel@...>
Sent: Sun, Oct 3, 2021 10:39 am
Subject: Rider support for the 40th annual Covered Bridges Ride - Sunday Oct 10th, 2021

Volunteers needed...  This is a rather well known bicycle ride through multiple covered bridges in Bucks County.  The ride starts and finishes at Tinicum Park (Tinicum above New Hope - not down by the airport).  This year the cycle club has just over a thousand riders but not as many volunteers as they've had in past years.  Volunteer support is in need of both ham radio operators and non-hams who work the rest stops.

Dean (KC3JXT) usually has people to serve as drivers with their own SAG vehicle, but they are not ham radio operators.  To ride SAG, you will need a mobile radio and a mag mount antenna.  I have cigarette lighter plugs with cables terminated in the Anderson Power Pole or the typical "T" connector.  All cars today have cigarette lighter sockets that are really power ports to feed cell phones, laptops, etc with a 20amp fuse.  (no need to tie into the battery terminals)  Or better yet, bring your own battery to sit on the floor and not depend on vehicle power.  I have a large battery you may borrow.

This year Dean will use his own truck to serve as transport between various rest stops and Tinicum.  His brother will drive but is not a ham operator.  You will not need to bring a 2m radio since the truck already has one installed.  If we can find one person to ride SAG / transport, I can then go setup a tall mast at Bulls Island or maybe Frenchtown NJ.  We'll see how many volunteers we have later in the week.

Look over the rest stops, knowing roads in the area is a big plus.  See below...  There are multiple rides;  65, 55, 33 and 20 mile - not all rides go through all rest stops - longer rides start earlier in the morning.  Rest stops at Durham elementary close at 11am and Weisel at 12.30pm.  Stops at Bulls Island and Pipersville are the last to close -- at 2pm.

Google map of Tinicum Park;
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tinicum+Park/@40.5077835,-75.0712542,558m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c40ed7ba441585:0x9d8b10ffeb96fa93!8m2!3d40.5077794!4d-75.0690655

This is what the cyclists see;
https://www.cbbikeclub.org/covered-bridges/covered-bridges-ride

Mark  WA3QVU

Please contact Dean directly and he will forward the ride info packet.

Dean Hedin
KC3JXT
267-760-3114

REST STOP INFORMATION

Durham-Nox Elementary
41 Thomas Free Drive Kintnersville, PA

Weisel Youth Hostel
7347 Richlandtown Rd, Quakertown, PA

Lorber Plumbing
19 Dark Hollow Rd, Pipersville, PA

Bull's Island
218555 Daniel Bray Highway (Rt29), Stockton, PA