WK3.1 RTTY stand alone mode and host mode using fldigi #wkusb-hv

Michael (G0POT)

Every time I think I've got my configuration aced I discover another little tweak to improve things!
I think I've finally found the sweet spot if you want to set up your WKUSB to send both CW and RTTY both in stand-alone mode using the WKUSB on it's own and/or in host mode controlling the WKUSB using fldigi. Of course, you may find a better set up or improvements so if you do please let me know :o)

Michael (G0POT)

W5WEO

Hi Micheal,

I have a question regarding your setup.  I'm using a Yaesu FT-450D and the WinKeyer USB with the 2 PTT/key ports.  I have successfully used with FLDigi on CW; however, I am beginning to construct a cable to use RTTY directly from the WKUSB to the FT-450D.  My question is can I use CAT control in FLdigi for PTT and use the WKUSB ports (PTT/KEY) for the in and out?

I have attached a copy of the RTTY diagram for the FT-450D to show the connections.  PTT is supposed to be connected to the 6-pin mini DIN but I'd rather leave the control to the CAT system.

Please let me know your thoughts as I was going to purchase the Yaesu CT-39A cable and kill a couple of RCA cable to make this.

Thank you in advance,

Walter W5WEO

Steve K1EL

The best setup is to connect WKUSB PTT to radio FSK Input and WKUSB KEYOUT to radio PTT input.

FLdigi in RTTY mode has been designed to support this setup.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 5:43 AM w5weo via Groups.Io <w5weo=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Micheal,

I have a question regarding your setup.  I'm using a Yaesu FT-450D and the WinKeyer USB with the 2 PTT/key ports.  I have successfully used with FLDigi on CW; however, I am beginning to construct a cable to use RTTY directly from the WKUSB to the FT-450D.  My question is can I use CAT control in FLdigi for PTT and use the WKUSB ports (PTT/KEY) for the in and out?

I have attached a copy of the RTTY diagram for the FT-450D to show the connections.  PTT is supposed to be connected to the 6-pin mini DIN but I'd rather leave the control to the CAT system.

Please let me know your thoughts as I was going to purchase the Yaesu CT-39A cable and kill a couple of RCA cable to make this.

Thank you in advance,

Walter W5WEO

W5WEO

Thank you. I also did some more reading and now I need to understand how to get the RX back to FLDigi.  It appears the WKUSB keyer does not make the return trip and the data port for packet is now in use by the keyer so I cannot get audio back to the PC. RTTY cannot use the keyer port on the front of the FT-450 like CW uses.

I need to explore it more.

Thanks again.

Walter E. O'Donnell

On Jul 11, 2019, at 7:35 AM, Steve K1EL <k1elsystems@...> wrote:

[...]

FLdigi gets audio from through the soundcard interface.
You need to provide a connection from the radio audio out to the soundcard audio in.
Several ways to do it, a SignalLink box is one way, or just a cable from radio audio output
out to PC sound card audio input.

WKUSB is a transmit only device, it is not used in the receive path,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:24 AM W5WEO via Groups.Io <w5weo=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. I believe I can make a split cable to send RX to the sound card directly. I’ll post some pics once complete.

W5WEO

FYI : PS/2 mice and keyboard cables lack the ground wire pin connection for the Yaesu data connector.

W5WEO

Here's an update:  I made the changes to the WKUSB settings to activate RTTY on user 2 as per the instructions attached above.  After writing to the WKUSB, my message buttons stopped working.  I tried to access it from WKTools 5.2 and it errored, apparently locked-up.  I opened it up and pulled the batteries then tried again. Nothing from the message buttons but I could access it via WKTools so I loaded an older configuration but it did not fix the buttons.  Pulled batteries again, reflashed the firmware, then loaded an older configuration. The CW messages started working with the buttons again.  I attempted several times in stages to activate RTTY and found that when I tick the Diddle box in RTTY settings is when it causes the WKUSB to stop and become inaccessible.  Any thoughts?

Steve K1EL

WK3tools is used only to change settings for standalone operation. If you are trying to get WKUSB working with FLdigi, you would not use WK3tools to make configuration changes for FLdigi operation.

Note that configuration files from earlier versions of WK3tools 5.2 may cause problems if used with 5.2. If you want to reset to defaults it's better to click the reset to defaults button and then write those settings back out to WKUSB. I think this may be the root of your problem.

Just as a sanity check I re-downloaded everything from scratch, reloaded WKUSB with version 31.02 and then using the fresh WK3tools 5.2, I was easily able to get WKUSB configured for RTTY operation complete with working message PBs and paddle input. I could not find any combination of settings that caused lockups or unexpected operation.

That said..... Are you trying to run WKUSB in RTTY standalone mode or are you still trying to get it to work with FLdigi ?

Steve K1EL

W5WEO

I was working on getting it to work for FLDigi.  I just happen to come across the problem in the setup stage.  When I get home tonight, I will try from scratch.  Doesn't seem to difficult.

I am not at the stage to connect it to the PC yet.  I was just working on settings; however, when disconnected from the PC, shouldn't the message buttons work?

Thanks for the quick reply.

W5WEO

I was able to get it connected to FLDigi.  I know it's not wired backwards as I went through the WKDemo 4 program and tested it with RTTY enabled.  However, I cannot tell if it is actually transmitting anything.  I had a dummy load on the FT-450D and set it on 5W output.  I flipped the connections with FSKMap and it makes the clicking on TX but I cannot hear any tones when wired "properly".  Should the WKUSB speaker output sound if the monitor is on and the sidetone is set to ON?

Steve K1EL

No WK sidetone is disabled in RTTY mode unless you are using the paddle to enter RTTY in standalone.

The best way to determine if your radio is transmitting RTTY correctly is to use a second receiver and listen to your signal.