Topics

Tams decoder version 23

Willie de Kort

Complete new to JMRI and build a DCC++ basic station, so hit me to hard.

My first attempt to use JMRI and specific DecoderPro and already a 'problem'.

At our club we have bought the Tams LD-G-32.2 as the first Serie. But DecoderPro is reading it as version 23, so doesn't recognize it in the database.
From another loco I have tried to read the decoder, but from that one even the brand isn't recognized. If I remember it wel,vit was '123'. I bought it complete with decoder, so I don't know the brand. Not opened yet.

Is someone responsible for the database with decoders?
Or how to solve this kind of issues?

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With regards,

Willie de Kort

Ken Cameron

Willie,

It sounds like you might have version 4.10, it has an issue where you would
see 123 as all values from any decoder. This is due to an issue in the
settings in Edit->Preferences->Defaults, it will change to all 'Internal'
without notice. I suggest you would be better off with 4.11.6 as it has
fixes that prevents this happening without notice. You will have to go into
Edit->Preferences->Defaults, change all the radio buttons to your DCC++
instead of Internal.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.com
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Willie de Kort

Hi Ken,

I've downloaded JMRI yesterday, so I presume it is the latest (stable) version.
Maybe tonight I can check the version in my computer.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With regards,

Willie de Kort

Op zo 10 jun. 2018 14:29 schreef Ken Cameron <kcameron@...>:

Willie,

It sounds like you might have version 4.10, it has an issue where you would
see 123 as all values from any decoder. This is due to an issue in the
settings in Edit->Preferences->Defaults, it will change to all 'Internal'
without notice. I suggest you would be better off with 4.11.6 as it has
fixes that prevents this happening without notice. You will have to go into
Edit->Preferences->Defaults, change all the radio buttons to your DCC++
instead of Internal.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.com
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Ken Cameron

Willie,

4.10 would be the current 'production' version. 4.11.6 is the latest
'development' version, it is one of the steps of what we've been working on
that will evolve into 4.12 by July. We've found some issues with 4.10 and
many fixes and improvements have gone into the versions between them.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.com
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Alain LM

Willie,

The answer to your question 'Is someone responsible for the database with decoders?' is nobody and anybody at the same time.
JMRI exists only because volunteers dedicate some of their time to it.
Anyone can contribute.
With regards to decoder definitions, a bit of knowledge of XML is required, but this is not very complex, given the amount of existing definitions that can be used as a starting point.
Yes the Tams definitions have not been updated for a while by lack of a volunteer being interested into it.
I have it on my to do list, but not in the highest position given that I don't own any and that there is not a strong demand for it.
Meanwhile you can select manually the existing definition and see how it works. I cannot tell you what difference there is between the existing definition and the current version, as this is not documented in Tams manuals.
You are very welcome to contribute if you want to work on the Tams definitions update by yourself.

Cheers,
--
Alain LM

Willie de Kort

Hi Alain,

Aan I'm new with JMRI, so I don't know how to find my way yet. Can you guide me to the correct XML-file for the LD-G-32, which is available in DecoderPro? Then I can try to create the file for the LG-G-32.2
I will get in touch with Tams about the spec's for their decoders...

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With regards,

Willie de Kort

Op zo 10 jun. 2018 19:38 schreef Alain LM <AlanUS.forum@...>:

[...]

Jan Boen

Hi all,

I  created a Tams decoder entry for JMRI and I have no problem updating it to a later version.

Not highest priority though.

Cheers,

Jan

On 10/06/2018 19:38, Alain LM wrote:
[...]

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

Alain LM

Dave Heap

If you see decoder manufacturer of 123, decoder version of 123, manufacturer of "Massoth Elektronic GMBH", all CVs return a value of 123 and loco address of 15227, It is almost certain that Preferences->Defaults have changed to Internal.

Reinstalling JMRI, downloading a new version will do absolutely nothing to fix this problem. You need to go to Preferences->Defaults and fix the problem there.

--
Dave in Australia

The New England Convention 2018

On 10 Jun 2018, at 6:29 PM, Willie de Kort <willie.de.kort@...> wrote:

At our club we have bought the Tams LD-G-32.2 as the first Serie. But DecoderPro is reading it as version 23, so doesn't recognize it in the database.
From another loco I have tried to read the decoder, but from that one even the brand isn't recognized. If I remember it wel,vit was '123'. I bought it complete with decoder, so I don't know the brand. Not opened yet.

Willie de Kort

I've send a mail to TAMS and they replied.
First they say they don't know JMRI, but after a follow-up question the answer was:
  • Torsten Kalbe, Tams Elektronik GmbH
    Die Decoder LD G 32 und LD G 32.2 unterscheiden sich NICHT in der Anzahl der CVs. Beide Decoder verfügen über die gleichen CVs.
    Einzig die CV 35 hat einen anderen Wert, da hier der zusätzliche Ausgang eingestellt ist.
  • Translated:
    The LD-G-32 and LD-G-32.2 have the same number of CV's and are all the same.
    Only CV35 is different, because there is an extra output available (3 instead of 2 function-outputs)
So, how difficult is it to add a new XML-file and change it for this extra output?
And how to get it into JMRI??

As said, I'm new to JMRI and to XML
Interested to learn, but I need help in this :-)

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With regards,

Willie de Kort