Topics

Running JMRI From A MacBook Pro

stephenbomford

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help, I have a brand new MacBook Pro running Mojave and loaded with JMRI and Java. I would like to run a Merg CBUS system from the computer but cannot establish a connection via the USB port.

Is there a quick fix for this ideally aimed at the non technical Mac user.

Thank you for your help and apologies if this question has been asked before.

Bob Jacobsen

What seems to be going wrong? We should first track down what the problem actually is before giving advice, as otherwise you might end up doing (and perhaps breaking) all kinds of things not related to the problem.

Does JMRI start?

Does the preferences window show up?

There’s more on setting preferences, etc, here. Does that work as described, or is something unexpected happening?

http://jmri.org/install/MacOSX.shtml

http://jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/can/cbus/index.shtml#connecting

Bob

--
Bob Jacobsen
@BobJacobsen

stephenbomford

Bob

Thank you for the notes. I have done more research and testing, it would appear that I am missing a driver that will connect the JMRI system to a MERG CBUS system via the Macbook's Mojave operating system.

I believe that previous MacBook os versions had the appropriate driver (Because they work) but sadly Mojave does not. This would appear to be the same with Windows 7 and 10 where windows 10 has a driver and Windows 7 does not.

Steve

stephenbomford

All

As you will have read I have encountered considerable difficulties linking a new MacBook Pro running Mojave to a MERG system via JMRI.

It would appear that Mojave 10.14.2  does not have the standard range of pre installed USB drivers that Windows 10 has. A very good friend of mine, John (G8GKU) did some very detailed research and established that the appropriate driver is available from FDTI for the UM245R, I selected the VCP option. Once installed the system worked first time.

 Steve

David S <docdata3d@...>

Can you provide the link(s) for this driver?

Thanks,
Dave S

Dave Heap

On 6 Jan 2019, at 10:28 AM, David S <docdata3d@...> wrote:

Can you provide the link(s) for this driver?
<http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm>

Irrespective of DCC system, there are some basic rules for troubleshooting any USB-attached device to a Mac.

Plug your device into your Mac.

Go to "System Information" from Apple Menu->About This Mac->More Info->System information.

Look in the USB section, expand all sections under controllers and hubs and see what devices are present.

Unplug your device, select Refresh from the System Information menus and see what device has disappeared. Plug your device back in, refresh again and see what reappears. Repeat until you see what is changing. If there is no change, there must be a hardware problem external to your Mac, such as a faulty USB cable, connector or device and there is no point going any further until your Mac can see the physical device.

Once you have seen the device in System Information, (it should report the Manufacturer name so you know where to go to get drivers) you will quite likely have to install Mac drivers for it (although some do not need extra drivers, see your documentation). If unsure, try the next step anyway.

In High Sierra and above, you must open System Preferences->Privacy and Security and allow the kernel extensions (drivers) you installed to be loaded, or they will not be used.

Unplug your device. Open a window of the Terminal utility (from /Applications/Utilities), copy and paste the following command in EXACTLY (including spaces and punctuation) then press Enter.

while : ;do clear;ls -lt /dev|head;i=$((i+1));echo $i;sleep 1;done

This command should show about 10 lines of output and then sit looping, with a counter incrementing every second.

Plug your device back in and wait a few seconds. Two new items with names like cu.xxx and tty.xxx should appear in the list. They should disappear if you unplug your device. If this does not happen, you do not have the correct drivers installed for your device and you will need to solve that before proceeding further. Once you have found your device, write down the name you see.You want the cu.xxx version not the tty.xxx version.

If you have got this far you know your device is be being seen by the Mac, that it has a matching driver installed and the name of the connection port "cu.xxx" you need to select in JMRI. If you cannot get this far, there's no way JMRI can find your device until the driver issue is resolved.

Dave in Australia

steve young

Hi Steve,

Am I OK to copy / paste your advice for use on the JMRI MERG CBUS Hardware Support page?
I'm presuming a CANUSB4?

Thanks,
Steve.

David S <docdata3d@...>

I have a 'cu.usbserial-A9KJ71D9' and this is a selection in the 'serial port' option for a connection setup.

Still nothing.

David S <docdata3d@...>

Sort of going backwards now....

The name of my CU. connection is, as I said earlier, 'cu.usbserial-A9KJ71D9'. The 'A9KJ71D9' is thr serial number of that device.

I upgraded my JMRI to 4.14, replacing the earlier installation completely.  I tried to set up a connection but I get this error message...

Unable to create connection 'MRC' (M)
Serial port cu.usbserial-
A9KJ71D9 is in use.
System connection MRC provides a null manager for interface jmri.ThrottleManager.
Unable to run startup features becuase of earlier errors.
Please check the logs for more details.

Bob Jacobsen

The part about "Serial port cu.usbserial-A9KJ71D9 is in use” is what matters here.

It seems unlikely that some other program is using that connection (unless an older run of JMRI is still around somehow?), but that’s what the message says. But “in use” can be more generically “unavailable”. First think to try is restarting the computer. Next, try setting up a new (completely new) profile again.

Bob

On Jan 5, 2019, at 6:10 PM, David S <docdata3d@...> wrote:

Sort of going backwards now....

The name of my CU. connection is, as I said earlier, 'cu.usbserial-A9KJ71D9'. The 'A9KJ71D9' is thr serial number of that device.

I upgraded my JMRI to 4.14, replacing the earlier installation completely. I tried to set up a connection but I get this error message...

Unable to create connection 'MRC' (M)
Serial port cu.usbserial-A9KJ71D9 is in use.
System connection MRC provides a null manager for interface jmri.ThrottleManager.
Unable to run startup features becuase of earlier errors.
Please check the logs for more details.
--
Bob Jacobsen
@BobJacobsen

George Warner

>> Serial port cu.usbserial-A9KJ71D9 is in use.

This means that some other application is already using the port.
To determine who has your serial port open use “lsof” in terminal. Quit or kill that process to free the port.
The “Serial” app (annoyingly) auto-opens serial ports as they show up. Make sure it’s not running.

You may pm/message(iChat)/FaceTime me at geowar 1 at mac dot com. I can help.

David S <docdata3d@...>

I relooked at the FTDI drivers. I downloaded the VCP versions, reinstalled and tested.   Victory !

Thanks,
Dave

stephenbomford

Steve

Thank you for your notes, it is via a CANUSB.

Most certainly, please repost on the MERG support page. Would you retain the credit to John (G8GKU) as this is very much his research and solution.

I am a delighted end user!!

Steve

steve young

Thanks Steve,

From what I have gathered this driver is for a CANUSB and CANUSB2 ( NOT CANUSB4 ).
Mojave should auto recognise a CANUSB4.
Will be adding this to the MERG hardware connections page,

Steve