Topics

Operations: Modify Location by Car Load

Jon Schmidt

I'm finding that this option is not working consistently.  Our RR has lots of different custom loads, and I want to restrict those loads to only certain spurs.  We have around 200 spurs. Sometimes I can get this to work.  It creates an 'exclude' record for those spurs not selected. But when I try to do another custom load, no additional 'exclude's seem to be created.  Feature? We are using rules for most spurs, so if I must put the exclude in a rule I could.

Dan Boudreau

Jon,

When you select the next custom load you want to exclude, you need to deselect the checkbox again. and press save again.  You then have to open the new location file created to confirm, as the one that is currently opened will not be changed.  Let me know if this fixes your "feature" issue.

Dan

Jon Schmidt

Hi Dan,

"deselect the checkbox again" -- Are you referring to the "Use car type and load" checkbox on the "Modify locations" screen?  I haven't been using that checkbox, since I've only been selecting a custom load, not type&load.

OK, I get it that jmri is creating a generational copy which needs to be rolled in for the next update.  Does that mean that I have to do a save from the Settings screen after each "Modify locations..."?  I have been using the save button on the Modify screen after each Modify.

Gonna play with what you suggest.

Jon

Jon Schmidt

No, there is definitely a problem.  I used my 'Testing' environ and the modify by load option, and also watched the date-modified timing for the locations.xml file as I played.  I was able to do the setting once for a boxcar load 'stgn' and I could see the locations file change as soon as I hit save on the modify screen, but trying to come back and do it again for a different boxcar custom load 'stgs' it would not move. I closed and went to the setting screen and did a save, and nothing moved. Totally exited.

Re-opened Testing, and again tried Modify with 'stgs'.  The file moved, but when I went to verify by using the Modify screen again, I found that it had modified only one spur and not the others.  I tried Modify by type&load, same result.

Jon

Jon Schmidt

Curious:  I just looked at the xml file and found this for the first track.  Note the orphan

        <carLoads />

      <track id="1s1" name="Track1" locType="Staging" dir="15" length="800" moves="3" blockingOrder="0" carLoadOption="Exclude" carShipLoadOption="Exclude" loadOptions="40">
        <types>
          <carType name="Baggage" />
          <carType name="Boxcar" />
          <carType name="Caboose" />
          <carType name="Coal" />
          <carType name="Coilcar" />
          <carType name="FlatBHPaper" />
          <carType name="FlatBHWood" />
          <carType name="FlatBulkHead" />
          <carType name="FlatTimber" />
          <carType name="FlatTrailer" />
          <carType name="FlatWood" />
          <carType name="Flatcar" />
          <carType name="Gon-scrap" />
          <carType name="Gondola" />
          <carType name="HopChem" />
          <carType name="HopCmnt" />
          <carType name="HopCoal" />
          <carType name="HopCoal-Ety" />
          <carType name="HopGrain" />
          <carType name="HopSand" />
          <carType name="Hopper" />
          <carType name="MOW" />
          <carType name="MOWBox" />
          <carType name="Passenger" />
          <carType name="ReefMech" />
          <carType name="Reefer" />
          <carType name="ReeferIce" />
          <carType name="Stock" />
          <carType name="Tank Food" />
          <carType name="Tank Gas" />
          <carType name="Tank Kero" />
          <carType name="Tank Oil" />
          <carType name="Tank Veg" />
        </types>
        <carLoads />
        <carShipLoads>
          <carLoad name="stgn" />
        </carShipLoads>

FYI:
  <!--Written by JMRI version 4.10+R419243e on Mon Jun 11 10:29:09 PDT 2018-->

Jon Schmidt

OK, I guess that's normal.

Dan Boudreau

I can't reproduce your problem.  Here's the steps I perform for a simple custom load that I want to modify,

For staging there are two sets of controls, what is allowed to be received by the staging track, and what can be shipped from the staging track.  For example if I select car type "Boxcar" and the custom load "Nuts" I see both check boxes next to the name of the staging track.  If I deselect the 1st one, that's what is allowed into staging, and then press "Save", I get this in my file:

<location id="109" name="Staging 2" ops="2" dir="15" switchList="true" comment="" switchListComment="">
      <types>
        <carType name="Baggage" />
        <carType name="Boxcar" />
        <carType name="Boxcar-TEST" />
        <carType name="Caboose" />
        <carType name="Coal" />
        <carType name="Coilcar" />
        <carType name="Tank Veg" />
        <locoType name="Diesel" />
        <locoType name="Steam" />
      </types>
      <track id="109s1" name="Track " locType="Staging" dir="15" length="100" moves="3" blockingOrder="0" carLoadOption="Exclude">
        <types>
          <carType name="Baggage" />
          <carType name="Boxcar" />
          <carType name="Tank Veg" />
          <locoType name="Diesel" />
          <locoType name="Steam" />
        </types>
        <carLoads>
          <carLoad name="Nuts" />
        </carLoads>
      </track>
    </location>
  </locations>

If I deselect the 2nd box under (Ships), for Nuts get this:

   <location id="109" name="Staging 2" ops="2" dir="15" switchList="true" comment="" switchListComment="">
      <types>
        <carType name="Baggage" />
        <carType name="Boxcar" />
        <locoType name="Diesel" />
        <locoType name="Steam" />
      </types>
      <track id="109s1" name="Track " locType="Staging" dir="15" length="100" moves="3" blockingOrder="0" carLoadOption="Exclude" carShipLoadOption="Exclude">
        <types>
          <carType name="Baggage" />
          <carType name="Boxcar" />
          <locoType name="Diesel" />
          <locoType name="Steam" />
        </types>
        <carLoads>
          <carLoad name="Nuts" />
        </carLoads>
        <carShipLoads>
          <carLoad name="Nuts" />
        </carShipLoads>
      </track>
    </location>
  </locations>

Now this staging track can't receive or ship "Nuts".  If I now select a new custom load, both check boxes get re-selected,   I selected the custom load "Bolts" and if I only deselect the check box under (Ships) and press "Save" the file becomes:

   <location id="109" name="Staging 2" ops="2" dir="15" switchList="true" comment="" switchListComment="">
      <types>
        <carType name="Baggage" />
        <carType name="Boxcar" />
        <locoType name="Diesel" />
        <locoType name="Steam" />
      </types>
      <track id="109s1" name="Track " locType="Staging" dir="15" length="100" moves="3" blockingOrder="0" carLoadOption="Exclude" carShipLoadOption="Exclude">
        <types>
          <carType name="Baggage" />
          <carType name="Boxcar" />
          <locoType name="Diesel" />
          <locoType name="Steam" />
        </types>
        <carLoads>
          <carLoad name="Nuts" />
        </carLoads>
        <carShipLoads>
          <carLoad name="Bolts" />
          <carLoad name="Nuts" />
        </carShipLoads>
      </track>
    </location>
  </locations>

Now the staging track can not ship "Bolts" or "Nuts".

I hope this helps.

Dan

Jon Schmidt

I think that your scope is too limited.  I'm trying to use the Modify screen for the whole RR.  I call it from the Locations screen.  When the Modify screen shows, it shows all of the towns and all of the spurs/yards/staging.

I then, for example, do a Clear all, and then select those tracks which need to accept the load.  I would then hope that all other tracks will exclude the load.  This is breaking.

Dan Boudreau

The select all or clear all isn't working correctly for any scope.

Dan

Dan Boudreau

Clear all and select all loads in the "Modify Locations by Car Load" window has been fixed in test release 4.11.7.

Dan