Topics

jmri on my new computer

epumph

 I want to download jmri and just had a few questions:
I use a Power Cab with firmware 1.65B
I assume that I will still need to down load the drivers for the USB card?
I am currently using jmri 4.4 and would like to move (copy) my files to the new computer.
How is that done?

If this is an old topic let me know where I can find this info.

Thanks,

Gene Pumphrey

Ken Cameron

Gene,

The details depend on which type of operating system on the new and old
computers. But the general idea is find the 'user' JMRI directory, referred
to as the 'Settings' directory. That's where all the parts like the log
files, panels, roster, etc... are under one directory. You take a copy of
that and load it to the equal 'user' directory on the new system. If you
load JMRI on the new system first, it would be easier to find. Just start
JMRI and hit 'Help->Locations...', that will show all the places, it is the
'Settings Location' is where everything belongs.

The result is you end up with the same contents in the same 'relative' place
on the new computer.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.com
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Dave Heap

The "User Files Location" is actually where your files (roster, panels, operations,...) are stored. These are all in a format suitable for transfer between computers.

Some of the files in "Settings Location" and "Profile Location" are computer specific and do not transfer well (may cause JMRI hangs on startup, etc.).

I'd initially avoid transferring anything, use the Wizard to set up a new profile, use Help->Locations->Open User Files Location (on both new and old computers) and initially transfer the contents of that only. Restart JMRI and see how you go.

Keep a copy of Settings Location in case something was missed.

The following document is primarily designed for ongoing sharing via Dropbox, but the principles are the same for a one-off transfer. I strongly recommend you read it as it illustrates a lot of what I said.

--
Dave in Australia

The New England Convention 2018

On 5 Jun 2018, at 7:34 AM, Ken Cameron <kcameron@...> wrote:

The details depend on which type of operating system on the new and old
computers. But the general idea is find the 'user' JMRI directory, referred
to as the 'Settings' directory. That's where all the parts like the log
files, panels, roster, etc... are under one directory. You take a copy of
that and load it to the equal 'user' directory on the new system. If you
load JMRI on the new system first, it would be easier to find. Just start
JMRI and hit 'Help->Locations...', that will show all the places, it is the
'Settings Location' is where everything belongs.

The result is you end up with the same contents in the

Dave Heap

Please let me know your computer type (Mac, Windows or Linux) and I will post  specific instructions. (But please be patient, I am currently travelling and have intermittent internet access).

--

On 5 Jun 2018, at 6:59 AM, epumph via Groups.Io <epumph@...> wrote:

 I want to download jmri and just had a few questions:
I use a Power Cab with firmware 1.65B
I assume that I will still need to down load the drivers for the USB card?

epumph

duh, both computers are running Windows -- the older one is running Win 7 and the new one is totally Win 10.

Dave Heap

In that case you may be be able to transfer the entire Settings Folder "C:\Users\<yourusername>\JMRI\" provided <yourusername> is identical on both computers.

Otherwise just transfer User Files Location (and Roster Location if it differs).

In either case, you will need to download and install the Windows 10 SiLabs CP2012 drivers from:
You will probably need to plug in the NCE USB, let Windows install its own, remove them and then install the SiLabs driver twice. The COM port will quite likely differ and require a JMRI settings update.

If you need the settings again:
Configuration Instructions
===================

Here are the best settings for JMRI and jumpers for Power Cab (and also SB5).

Make sure you always unplug/replug both cables on the NCE USB after changing jumpers.

It also explains how to read the version of your NCE USB (only the first digit counts, the last three report how your jumpers 2-4 are set and jumper 1 is ignored on all systems).

Power Cab Instructions
=================
The correct settings for a Power Cab V1.65 or V1.28 (as shown when the Power Cab starts up) and an NCE USB V6 (or you are not sure of the USB version)  are:
- All USB Jumpers off (or at least 2, 3 & 4. Jumper 1 is ignored).
- JMRI preferences are:
-- System manufacturer: NCE
-- System connection:  NCE USB
-- Serial port: <whatever is appropriate for your system>
-- USB version: V6.x.x
-- System: PowerCab
-- Additional Connection Settings checkbox ON
--- Baud rate: 9600.

The JMRI console log should then report V6.3.0. If it reports V7.3.0 and your Power Cab is V1.65, use the settings below instead.
If you don't get a version number or the system does not work, Use Help->System Console...->Copy to clipboard and paste into a post for us to see.

The correct settings for a Power Cab V1.65 or V1.65b and an NCE USB V7  are:
- All USB Jumpers on (or at least 2, 3 & 4. Jumper 1 is ignored).
- JMRI preferences are:
-- System manufacturer: NCE
-- System connection:  NCE USB
-- Serial port: <whatever is appropriate for your system>
-- USB version: V7.x.x
-- System: PowerCab
-- Additional Connection Settings checkbox ON
--- Baud rate: 19200.

The JMRI console log should then report V7.3.7.

SB5 Instructions
============
The correct settings for an SB5 and an NCE USB V7  are:
- USB Jumper 4 on. All others off (or at least 2 & 3. Jumper 1 is ignored).
- JMRI preferences are:
-- System manufacturer: NCE
-- System connection:  NCE USB
-- Serial port: <whatever is appropriate for your system>
-- USB version: V7.x.x
-- System: SB5
-- Additional Connection Settings checkbox ON
--- Baud rate: 19200.

The JMRI console log should then report V7.3.1.

If the system does not work after this and your USB is V7:
- If your SB5/Power Cab is V1.65 rather than V1.65B, you may have been affected by a firmware issue (triggered by a System Reset).
- Your NCE USB may be set to a bad cab address.
 In either case, go through the following :
- Quit JMRI.
- Ensure neither LED on the NCE USB is stuck ON. If so, power cycle the USB by unplugging it from the cab bus cable.
- Ensure you have no other throttles connected.
- Restart JMRI and immediately go to Configure USB Interface under the NCE menu.
- Set the Cab ID to 3.
- Attempt a JMRI operation (use a throttle, Identify a decoder.
- The status line should stay green and it should work
-If this does not work, do not fiddle with any other settings but instead:
-- Observe whether the Cab Bus LED on the NCE USB is stuck on and report back.

On 6 Jun 2018, at 10:19 PM, epumph via Groups.Io <epumph@...> wrote:

duh, both computers are running Windows -- the older one is running Win 7 and the new one is totally Win 10.

epumph

Hopefully one more thing:
can I use a stick drive or external hard drive instead of Drop Box?

Gene

Jim Albanowski

Gene:

Sure... USB stick is great...

Affectionately known... B.C. ... Before Cloud... as sneaker net...

Jim Albanowski

Dana

My boss at the Comp Center (in the 70s) would have called it a "wide-band bicycle."

Dana Zimmerli

President
Belmont Shore Model Railroad Clib
http://www.belmontshorerr.com/
See our video at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0u5DihLyw-ZsmWrsrQnxA?view_as=subscriber

Affectionately known... B.C. ... Before Cloud... as sneaker net...

Jim Albanowski

epumph

Dave, Ken et al,
I got Drop Box installed on both computers and I guess the next step is to download JMRI V4.10 and install it.  I have 4.4  on the old computer -- will that cause a problem?  I will up grade later.  Also, I need the Operations files from the old computer. I guess that they could be uploaded to drop box and then get the new computer to find them?

Thanks for your help,

Gene

dick bronson

Gene,
V4.10 is particularly troublesome. Download one of the newer test releases such as 4.11.7 for fewer issues.

Dick :)

On 06/23/2018 09:33 AM, epumph via Groups.Io wrote:
Dave, Ken et al,
I got Drop Box installed on both computers and I guess the next step is to download JMRI V4.10 and install it.  I have 4.4  on the old computer -- will that cause a problem?  I will up grade later.  Also, I need the Operations files from the old computer. I guess that they could be uploaded to drop box and then get the new computer to find them?

Thanks for your help,

Gene

Jon Miller

On 6/23/2018 6:57 AM, dick bronson wrote:
V4.10 is particularly troublesome. Download one of the newer test releases such as 4.11.7 for fewer issues.

    Does anyone think that once 4.11 is released it would be a good idea to label 4.10 as do not use?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Jon Miller

On 6/23/2018 8:07 AM, Jon Miller wrote:
    Does anyone think that once 4.11 is released it would be a good idea to label 4.10 as do not use?

Actually I guess the next production will  be 4.12??????

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jon Miller

On 6/23/2018 8:07 AM, Jon Miller wrote:
    Does anyone think that once 4.11 is released it would be a good idea to label 4.10 as do not use?

Actually I guess the next production will  be 4.12??????

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Dave Heap

As others have said, avoid 4.10 and upgrade both to 4.11.7.

You may have problems running 4.4 after running 4.10 or 4.11.x on another computer so best to upgrade the old computer as well.

Moving your Operations files to Dropbox is a good idea. My understanding (I don't do Operations myself) is that the default location for these files is "User Files Location" and that should already be set to the JMRI folder in your Dropbox.

--

On 23 Jun 2018, at 11:33 PM, epumph via Groups.Io <epumph@...> wrote:

Dave, Ken et al,
I got Drop Box installed on both computers and I guess the next step is to download JMRI V4.10 and install it.  I have 4.4  on the old computer -- will that cause a problem?  I will up grade later.  Also, I need the Operations files from the old computer. I guess that they could be uploaded to drop box and then get the new computer to find them?

epumph

So, I haven't created anything on drop box except to co some tests to see that it worked.

To open a JMRI folder I would just go to drop box and click on New Folder and name it JMRI?  I am not in a rush since it is summer (sort of by the calendar) and I wont have much time for trains but I am trying to get as much of this done before the kids, grand kids etc show up!

Again thanks for your help

Gene

Dave Heap

That's the first step.

Read our help page on this topic:

--

On 24 Jun 2018, at 7:09 AM, epumph via Groups.Io <epumph@...> wrote:

So, I haven't created anything on drop box except to co some tests to see that it worked.

To open a JMRI folder I would just go to drop box and click on New Folder and name it JMRI?  I am not in a rush since it is summer (sort of by the calendar) and I wont have much time for trains but I am trying to get as much of this done before the kids, grand kids etc show up!

epumph

ok, I downloaded the installer for 4.11.7 on the newer computer and will  do likewise tomorrow on the old computer.  When I start the install on the old computer that has 4.4 will I need to download the silabs usb driver? the old computer has a driver worked with the power cab 165b firmware.
Thanks to all,
Gene

Dave Heap

If your Power Cab worked fine with 4.4 there is no reason to need a new driver.
--
Dave in Australia

On 24 Jun 2018, at 9:14 AM, epumph via Groups.Io <epumph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

ok, I downloaded the installer for 4.11.7 on the newer computer and will do likewise tomorrow on the old computer. When I start the install on the old computer that has 4.4 will I need to download the silabs usb driver? the old computer has a driver worked with the power cab 165b firmware.
Thanks to all,

epumph

I installed JMRI on both computers and the old one seemed to work fine.  the new one I am getting No Port Found in the Preference page for NCE.  I went to the si-labs site and downloaded and I think I got all files extracted but the set up wizard fails on page 2 saying it couldn't complete the job??
Also, even after sitting with my computers and reading that section on drop box on the other computer I don't see how to get the link.  On my desktop the files look like Gene->JMRI-> whatever -- no url?  I'm sure that the directions are very good but I haven't a clue. Could I drag and drop the files from my desktop to drop box?

Thanks for you time and efforts,

Gene