Topics

help with Linux please (PROGRESS!)

David Copson

Also:

On Jun 9, 2018, at 7:33 AM, Dave Heap <dgheap@...> wrote:

You will also need to enter the following command EXACTLY (except for the double quotes):
"sudo adduser ${USER} dialout"
   (This assumes "dialout" is the group shown beside your device in the list above.)

What I see on the list of ports with ttyUSB0 is “1 root dialout 188”.  In above I only changed {USER}. Should group also be changed?

Keep reading to get rest of progress and questions….

On Jun 12, 2018, at 4:36 PM, David Copson <david@...> wrote:

Progress. YEAH!  Not there yet though. Please keep help coming.

On Jun 9, 2018, at 12:48 PM, Dave Sand <ds@...> wrote:

To start JMRI from the desktop, you need to create an icon on the desktop….

THANKS Dave. Worked great. Can now open JMRI. (after months of intermittent attempts and frustration). Something is lacking in JMRI instructions. I had the icon but  it didn’t work. Again, thank you.

Dave Heap

That command isn't doing quite what you think it is.

It isn't changing permissions on the "ttyUSB0" device. Changes to it don't stick.

It is adding your username to the dialout group. That is permanent.

--
Dave Heap

On 13 Jun 2018, at 6:53 AM, David Copson <david@...> wrote:

On Jun 9, 2018, at 7:33 AM, Dave Heap <dgheap@...> wrote:

You will also need to enter the following command EXACTLY (except for the double quotes):
"sudo adduser ${USER} dialout"
   (This assumes "dialout" is the group shown beside your device in the list above.)

What I see on the list of ports with ttyUSB0 is “1 root dialout 188”.  In above I only changed {USER}. Should group also be changed?

Keep reading to get rest of progress and questions….

Dave Sand

David,

The adduser command is adding your user to the dialout group.  As a member of the group, you will be allowed to use ttyUSB0 as a JMRI connection.

To verify that the command worked, enter id and press enter:

xxx@ubuntu:~$ id
uid=1000(xxx) gid=1000(xxx) groups=1000(xxx),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),113(lpadmin),128(sambashare)
xxx@ubuntu:~$

Dave Sand

On Jun 12, 2018, at 3:53 PM, David Copson <david@...> wrote:

Also:

On Jun 9, 2018, at 7:33 AM, Dave Heap <dgheap@...> wrote:

You will also need to enter the following command EXACTLY (except for the double quotes):
"sudo adduser ${USER} dialout"
   (This assumes "dialout" is the group shown beside your device in the list above.)

What I see on the list of ports with ttyUSB0 is “1 root dialout 188”.  In above I only changed {USER}. Should group also be changed?

Keep reading to get rest of progress and questions….

David Copson
http://InyoStudio.com
https://Facebook.com/InyoStudio

david zuhn

The adduser command is adding your user to the dialout group.  As a member of the group, you will be allowed to use ttyUSB0 as a JMRI connection.

You will have to log out and back in again for the group addition to take effect.

 david zuhn

--
The State Belt Railway of California
zoo @ statebeltrailway.org

David Copson

I want to thank you all emphatically for your help on this issue. Undoubtedly, you’d get me there eventually.

However, I have decided to go a different route. There is more of a learning curve here than I want to climb and taking too much time away.
Also this Mac starting up with Linux takes a very long time.

I have gotten access to a used MacBook Air that will run current Java and hence JMRI. This will use systems I know well. It’s true, I’m a Mac snob. Now I am more clear why.

Again, thanks.