From: jfw-users@groups.io <jfw-users@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: June 11, 2022 12:38 PM
To: JFW-Users@groups.io
Subject: [jfw-users] Word Processors that Work with JAWS

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. You all gave me
some great resources to check out, and I found some useful scripts. I
also purchased Leasey and downloaded  the Windows Screen Reader Primer.
I'll be reading that next. I have another question. I might have a lot
for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I
can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of
work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are
some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used
Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there
others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm
also just looking for a good way to read the Windows Screen Reader
Primer, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

I don't think NotePad does word processing, just plain text. As for WordPad, I don't know much about it. I might give it a try.

On 6/11/2022 12:42 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

You could try Notepad or Wordpad; I use Microsoft Word but I’ve used those from time to time

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. You all gave me
some great resources to check out, and I found some useful scripts. I
also purchased Leasey and downloaded  the Windows Screen Reader Primer.
I'll be reading that next. I have another question. I might have a lot
for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I
can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of
work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are
some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used
Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there
others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm
also just looking for a good way to read the Windows Screen Reader
Primer, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

K0LNY

There is the open source Libre Office, which is a suite of tools like Microsoft Office and that does Word files well and it's free.
Here's a link:
Glenn

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. You all gave me
some great resources to check out, and I found some useful scripts. I
also purchased Leasey and downloaded  the Windows Screen Reader Primer.
I'll be reading that next. I have another question. I might have a lot
for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I
can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of
work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are
some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used
Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there
others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm
also just looking for a good way to read the Windows Screen Reader
Primer, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

K0LNY

Here's more info on Libre Office:
Built on a strong heritage
LibreOffice is a successor to OpenOffice.org (commonly known as OpenOffice), which in turn was based on StarOffice. Many years of development have gone
into the software, and it has been used in its various incarnations by millions. Today, LibreOffice is by far the most active continuation of the OpenOffice.org
codebase, with releases every six months and hundreds of contributors. Also, LibreOffice uses libraries from the
Document Liberation Project,
handing control back to content creators.
dlp-button.png
LibreOffice for your business
You can download and use LibreOffice for free, but bear in mind that it doesn't include technical support or other value-added services. If you want to
deploy LibreOffice in a business, we strongly recommend
sourcing a LibreOffice-based solution from one of our ecosystem partners.
More information
·
Download LibreOffice
 in your language and discover how it can boost your creativity on a day-to-day basis
· Discover
how LibreOffice fares vs. Microsoft® Office
· LibreOffice is available in many, many languages.
Find out about yours
!
· Check out our
release notes

[...]

Richard Turner

You could do an individual subscription for one computer for Microsoft 365 for about $70 per year, which keeps you updated and you can download any or all of the office programs.
Have you tried your Libre with Jaws? I never bothered with any of the open source projects because I have Microsoft 365.
If you decide to do that, only buy it through Microsoft to avoid any of the questionable licenses often being advertised.
Also, if you don't already have their number, Microsoft Accessibility can be a good help at times with using screen readers and their software, 800-936-5900

HTH,

Richard
“What we think or what we know or what we believe is in the end of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do” ~ John Ruskin
My web site: https://www.turner42.com

On Jun 11, 2022, at 10:39 AM, Lanie Molinar <laniebird91@...> wrote:

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who answered my last email. You all gave me
some great resources to check out, and I found some useful scripts. I
also purchased Leasey and downloaded  the Windows Screen Reader Primer.
I'll be reading that next. I have another question. I might have a lot
for a little while. I know Microsoft Word works well with JAWS, but I
can't really justify the expense, especially since I don't do a lot of
work with documents. I might need to in the future, though. What are
some other word processors that work well with JAWS? With NVDA, I used
Google Docs or occasionally LibreOffice. Are these good, or are there
others you would recommend? I want to find one for future work, but I'm
also just looking for a good way to read the Windows Screen Reader
Primer, which comes in Microsoft Word format. Thanks.

I'm pretty low-income, so I'm trying to be careful about all of these subscriptions. JAWS is a little expensive for me even with the annual license but I really thought it might help me, so I'm going for it. I played with Libre for a few minutes and it does seem to work.

On 6/11/2022 12:51 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

[...]

Andy

There is also the Jarte word processor, and I believe it is still free.

Andy

[...]

Chris J LaRue NO7E

73 de Chris NO7E
ARRL Public Information Officer
Nevada Section
no7e@...
702-292-0880

David Kingsbury

Hi Lanie,

Thanks for downloading my book. I hope you find it useful. Regarding your question, if you already use Googledocs, you can open Word documents in that program and read them there.

Regards,

David