Topics

Antenna Plans

Richard Arnold

Ben, your suggestions and tales of yore are always welcome at the meetings!

Have we ever told you to shut up yet?

Yet?.............😀

See you there!

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:42 PM Ben <LoWeb@...> wrote:

Richard et al,

At the JCAR meeting this Sat., I can offer some suggestions to ease construction and making measurements on these, in fact, any antennas.  It won’t be any changes to your basic construction approach, but there are a couple of things to do to make the process easier.  My approach isn’t the normal way of going about doing things, but then I’ve never been accused of normal thinking anyway!

73’s…Ben/K4QF/K4VOW (contest call)

P.S.  We don’t want to take too long Sat. dwelling on antennas since the ARRL VHF contest starts at 1 p.m. Sat. and runs until 10 p.m. (I think) Sun. evening.  I think there is now a category for FM only stations.  Remember, those tape measure yagis work on 2 m. SSB too in case your rig covers that mode, but be sure to turn it horizontal so you don’t lose that 30 dB of cross polarization!

Here are the plans and material lists from various authors on the internet that I have personally built and found to perform perfectly.
As stated, we will have an antenna building workshop in conjunction with our Field Day activities on Saturday and Sunday June 22-23.

Pleas note that the only improvement we have made on the Copper Cactus Super J-Pole is to replace the SO239 connector with a short piece of coax and a PL259 connector.

This makes it easier to tune the J-Pole after construction and also makes it very easy to seal the connection between the antenna and your feed-line going to your shack.

I will provide the torch for soldering, solder, flux and grit cloth for cleaning the copper tubing, drill and all necessary hand tools and glue for use on the PVC pipe yagi antennas.

If you are planning on building one or both of the Yagi antennas, you will need to go somewhere like Ollie's and by one of their cheap 1" wide blade tape measures.

For your connection coax and connectors for the Yagi or J-Pole antennas, I suggest you order a jumper with the PL259 ends already installed much like the one shown in the Amazon link.

https://smile.amazon.com/Antenna-Eagles-Coaxial-Adapter-Assembly/dp/B06XJHYK6Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=37O2QDWX7J0YV&keywords=coax+jumper+cable+pl259&qid=1558832198&s=gateway&sprefix=coax+jumpr%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-4

If you do not already own any, you may also want to order some Female barrel connectors as well.

 https://smile.amazon.com/Maxmoral-2-Pack-PL-259-Adapter-Connector/dp/B016HPOX7M/ref=sr_1_19?crid=37O2QDWX7J0YV&keywords=coax+jumper+cable+pl259&qid=1558832283&s=gateway&sprefix=coax+jumpr%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-19

If I have missed anything or you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this email.

I will have printed copies of the attached instructions at the Filed Day event.

I would request that you use the Reply To All function so that everyone on the mailing list can benefit from your questions.

--

Richard Arnold - KB4RMA

Emergency Coordinator

Secretary/Treasurer