Russell Cave Special Event Station

Richard Arnold

One week away! Russell Cave Special Event Station.

On May 11, 2019 we will be operating a special event station under the call-sign K4R for the 58th Anniversary of Russell Cave National Monument. We're doing this mostly for fun but to also activate a National Monument which is part of the ARRL National Parks on the Air for those that are chasing those activations.

One Day Event - Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 6 hours total on-air time

Setup Time will be 8:00am at the entrance to Russell Cave
On-Air at 9:00am
Operating SSB, CW, and Digital Modes.
Operating 40m and 20m.
12v DC available (any radio's will need to use DC)
Shutdown at 3:00pm
Packed up and out of the Park by 4:00pm

There are many rules and laws in place since this land is a Federal Archaeology site. No vehicles can be on the grass at any time, no ground penetration can happen anywhere (no tent stakes, etc.), and the Park Rangers would like us to be gone by 4:00pm so they can finish their end of day and close the park at 4:30pm.

We have graciously been given the two RV/bus parking spots for the day. This will provide plenty of room for the portable antenna trailer (same as used at the fair and field day) and room for a smaller enclosed trailer and the canopy which to operate in/under. This is actually a great location because everyone coming in or out of the park will see us. We'll be setup for inclement weather so rain or shine we'll be on the air. Image showing location attached.

For the antenna we'll be running a G5RV-Jr at around 35' in an inverted V configuration. We have several radio's available but feel free to bring yours if you prefer! We have the following available at this time:
Icom IC-7200
Icom IC-706MKIIG
Yaesu FT-991

Russell Cave Parking Area.png