Topics

Would anyone have keyboard commands for outlook mail program?

Ron Kolesar

Hi to all.
I don't really want to go to the MS mail app.
I've tried it twice and had it removed twice.
I have WLM but it's starting to decay on me.
So, I've been practicing with the outlook mail program.
In my in box I have some mailboxes that I'd like to delete but I've tried shift delete and no luck.
I've tried the app key and down arrowed looking for the delete key and no luck.
I've even tried the ctrl key and delete and no luck.
Yes I was on the folder or AKA Mailbox I wanted to remove.
So any help and help with deleting mailboxes and or AKA folders would be helpful.
Very Thankfully Yours,
Ron U.S. ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Which Stands for
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager.

Adrian Spratt

Ron, be sure to put yourself in the folders list with control-y. Arrow down or go by first letter to the folder you want to delete. Then pressing the delete key should work. If not, please post again.

I don't really want to go to the MS mail app.
I've tried it twice and had it removed twice.
I have WLM but it's starting to decay on me.
So, I've been practicing with the outlook mail program.
In my in box I have some mailboxes that I'd like to delete but I've tried shift delete and no luck.
I've tried the app key and down arrowed looking for the delete key and no luck.
I've even tried the ctrl key and delete and no luck.
Yes I was on the folder or AKA Mailbox I wanted to remove.
So any help and help with deleting mailboxes and or AKA folders would be helpful.
Very Thankfully Yours,
Ron U.S. ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM Which Stands for Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager.

ely.r@...

Ron,
When you are on a particular mailbox, try pressing the context key. It
should provide a whole range of choices including delete.
Hope that helps,
Rick

I don't really want to go to the MS mail app.
I've tried it twice and had it removed twice.
I have WLM but it's starting to decay on me.
So, I've been practicing with the outlook mail program.
In my in box I have some mailboxes that I'd like to delete but I've tried
shift delete and no luck.
I've tried the app key and down arrowed looking for the delete key and no
luck.
I've even tried the ctrl key and delete and no luck.
Yes I was on the folder or AKA Mailbox I wanted to remove.
So any help and help with deleting mailboxes and or AKA folders would be
helpful.
Very Thankfully Yours,
Ron U.S. ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM Which Stands for Pennsylvania
West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager.

chris judge

That doesn't work, I just tried it.

[...]

george b

Open outlook
Do control shift f6
It opens the folders list
Arrow to the folder you wish to do a action with
Do a shift f10 to get the context menu and you can only get it dy doing the
shift f10 command
Arrow to what you wish to do and hit enter

[...]

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Howdy All,

Here's a list of keystrokes for Outlook 2013 & 2016:

Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Outlook 2013 and 2016

This reference article provides a comprehensive list of all keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Outlook 2013 and 2016 (desktop version). Shortcuts are grouped by functionality; for example, you’ll find shortcuts for moving around in Outlook under “Navigation”. As you might guess, you’ll find some shortcuts listed more than once.

To find links to keyboard shortcuts for other Microsoft products, go to Office Accessibility Center.

Note:

·         Keys that should be pressed at the same time are joined with a plus sign (+). Keys that you should press in sequence are joined by a comma (,). Thus, the keyboard shortcut Alt+H, M+R means press Alt and H together to open the Home tab on the ribbon, and then press letters M and R together to open a new Meeting Request.

Frequently used shortcuts

The following shortcuts are the most frequently used in Outlook 2013 and 2016.

To do this

Press

Close

Alt+F, then X

Go to Home tab

Alt+H

New mail message

Ctrl+N

Send

Alt+S

Insert file in a message

Alt+H, then AF

Zoom

Ctrl+Plus(+), Ctrl+Minus(-)

Delete selected item

Ctrl+D

Go to Search box

F3 or Ctrl+E

Ctrl+R

Ctrl+F

Ctrl+Shift+R

Start Send/Receive for folders and groups

F9

Go to Calendar

Ctrl+2

Create appointment

Alt+H, then N1

Move to folder

Alt+H, then MV. Use Down Arrow to select folder.

Attachment Save As

From the message that contains the attachment, press Alt+JA, then AA.

Work in Outlook

Move around in Inbox and between Outlook views

To do this

Press

Go to the Search box.

F3 or Ctrl+E

In the Reading Pane, go to the previous message.

Alt+Up Arrow, or

Ctrl+Comma, or

Alt+Page Up

In the Reading Pane, page down through text.

Spacebar

In the Reading Pane, page up through text.

Shift+Spacebar

Move between regions in Outlook, such as the Folder Pane, the main Outlook window, the Reading Pane, and the To-Do Bar.

Ctrl+Shift+Tab, or

Shift+Tab

Move between regions in Outlook, such as the Outlook window, the smaller panes in the Folder Pane, the Reading Pane, and the sections in the To-Do Bar.

Tab

Move between regions in Outlook, such as the Outlook window, the smaller panes in the Folder Pane, the Reading Pane, and the sections in the To-Do Bar, and show the access keys in the Outlook ribbon.

F6

Move around message header lines in the Folder Pane or an open message.

Ctrl+Tab

Move around within the Folder Pane.

Arrow keys

Go to a different folder.

Ctrl+Y

Collapse or expand a group in the email message list.

Left Arrow or Right Arrow, respectively

Switch to a different Outlook view (Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and so on)

To do this

Press

Switch to Mail.

Ctrl+1

Switch to Calendar.

Ctrl+2

Switch to Contacts.

Ctrl+3

Switch to Tasks.

Ctrl+4

Switch to Notes.

Ctrl+5

Switch to Folder List in Folder Pane.

Ctrl+6

Switch to Shortcuts.

Ctrl+7

Switch to next message (with message open).

Ctrl+Period

Switch to previous message (with message open).

Ctrl+Comma

Alt+B or Alt+Left Arrow

Go forward to next view in main Outlook window.

Alt+Right Arrow

Select the InfoBar and, if available, show the menu of commands.

Ctrl+Shift+W

Search in any Outlook view (Mail, Calendar, etc)

To do this

Press

Go to Search box.

F3 or Ctrl+E

Clear the search results.

Esc

Expand the search to include All Mail Items, All Calendar Items, or All Contact Items, depending on the module you are in.

Ctrl+Alt+A

Use Advanced Find.

Ctrl+Shift+F

Create a Search Folder.

Ctrl+Shift+P

Search for text within an open item.

F4

Find and replace text and symbols in the Reading Pane.

Ctrl+H

Expand search to include items from the current folder.

Ctrl+Alt+K

Expand search to include subfolders.

Ctrl+Alt+Z

Format text

To do this

Press

Cut.

Ctrl+X or Shift+Delete

Copy.

Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Insert

Paste.

Ctrl+V or Shift+Insert

Undo.

Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace

Bold.

Ctrl+B

Italic.

Ctrl+I

Underline

Ctrl+U

Add bullets.

Ctrl+Shift+L

Display the Format menu.

Alt+O

Display the Font dialog box.

Ctrl+Shift+P

Switch case (with text selected).

Shift+F3

Format letters as small capitals.

Ctrl+Shift+K

Increase indent.

Ctrl+T

Decrease indent.

Ctrl+Shift+T

Left align text.

Ctrl+L

Center text.

Ctrl+E

Right align text.

Ctrl+R

Stretch a paragraph to fit between the margins.

Ctrl+Shift+J

Increase font size.

Ctrl+] or Ctrl+Shift+>

Decrease font size.

Ctrl+[ or Ctrl+Shift+<

Clear formatting.

Ctrl+Shift+Z or Ctrl+Spacebar

Delete the next word.

Ctrl+Shift+H

Apply paragraph or heading styles.

Ctrl+Shift+S

Create a hanging indent.

Ctrl+T

Insert a hyperlink.

Ctrl+K

Reduce a hanging indent.

Ctrl+Shift+T

Remove paragraph formatting.

Ctrl+Q

Print

To do this

Press

Open Print tab in Backstage view.

Press Alt+F, and then press P

To print an item from an open window.

Alt+F, press P, and then press F and press 1

Open Page Setup from Print Preview.

Alt+S or Alt+U

To select a printer from Print Preview.

Alt+F, press P, and then press I

To Define Print Styles.

Alt+F, press P, and then press L

To open Print Options.

Alt+F, press P, and then press R

Add or edit links

To do this

Press

Edit a URL in the body of an item.

Hold down Ctrl and click the mouse button.

Insert a hyperlink.

Ctrl+K

Create an item or file

To do this

Press

Create an appointment.

Ctrl+Shift+A

Create a contact.

Ctrl+Shift+C

Create a contact group.

Ctrl+Shift+L

Create a fax.

Ctrl+Shift+X

Create a folder.

Ctrl+Shift+E

Create a meeting request.

Ctrl+Shift+Q

Create a message.

Ctrl+Shift+M

Create a note.

Ctrl+Shift+N

Create a Microsoft Office document.

Ctrl+Shift+H

Post to this folder.

Ctrl+Shift+S

Post a reply in this folder.

Ctrl+T

Create a Search Folder.

Ctrl+Shift+P

Create a task.

Ctrl+Shift+K

Create a task request.

Ctrl+Shift+U

Mail

Frequently used mail shortcuts

To do this

Press

Switch to Mail.

Ctrl+1

Send.

Alt+S or Ctrl+Enter

Reply to a message.

Ctrl+R

Ctrl+Shift+R

Forward a message.

Ctrl+F

Create a message (when in Mail).

Ctrl+N

Create a message (from any Outlook view).

Ctrl+Shift+M

Open a received message.

Ctrl+O

Ctrl+Q

Ctrl+U

Go to the previous message.

Up Arrow

Go to the next message.

Down Arrow

Other mail shortcuts

To do this

Press

Add a Quick Flag to an unopened message.

Insert

Apply Normal style.

Ctrl+Shift+N

Check for new messages.

Ctrl+M or F9

Check names.

Ctrl+K

Choose the account from which to send a message.

Ctrl+Tab (with focus on the To box), and then Tab to the Accounts button

Clear Mark for Download.

Ctrl+Alt+U

Create a multimedia message

Ctrl+Shift+U

Delete and Ignore a Conversation.

Ctrl+Shift+D

Display blocked external content (in a message).

Ctrl+Shift+I

Display Send/Receive progress.

Ctrl+B (when a Send/Receive is in progress)

Display the Flag for Follow Up dialog box.

Ctrl+Shift+G

Find next.

Shift+F4

Find or replace.

F4

Forward as attachment.

Ctrl+Alt+F

Mark a message as not junk.

Ctrl+ Alt+J

Mark for Download.

Ctrl+Alt+M

Open the Address Book.

Ctrl+Shift+B

Open the Mail Tip in the selected message.

Ctrl+Shift+W

Post to a folder.

Ctrl+ Shift+S

Print.

Ctrl+P

Reply with meeting request.

Ctrl+Alt+R

Show the properties for the selected item.

Alt+Enter

Calendar

Frequently used calendar shortcuts

To do this

Press

Switch to Calendar

Ctrl+2

Create an appointment (when in Calendar).

Ctrl+N

Create an appointment (in any Outlook view).

Ctrl+Shift+A

Create a meeting request.

Ctrl+Shift+Q

Forward an appointment or meeting.

Ctrl+F

Reply to a meeting request with a message.

Ctrl+R

Ctrl+Shift+R

Go to a date.

Ctrl+G

Other calendar shortcuts

To do this

Press

Show 1 day in the calendar.

Alt+1

Show 2 days in the calendar.

Alt+2

Show 3 days in the calendar.

Alt+3

Show 4 days in the calendar.

Alt+4

Show 5 days in the calendar.

Alt+5

Show 6 days in the calendar.

Alt+6

Show 7 days in the calendar.

Alt+7

Show 8 days in the calendar.

Alt+8

Show 9 days in the calendar.

Alt+9

Show 10 days in the calendar.

Alt+0

Switch to Month view.

Alt+= or Ctrl+Alt+4

Switch to Full Week view.

Alt+Minus Sign or Ctrl+Alt+3

Switch to Work Week view.

Ctrl+Alt+2

Go to the next day.

Ctrl+Right Arrow

Go to the next week.

Alt+Down Arrow

Go to the next month.

Alt+Page Down

Go to the previous day.

Ctrl+Left Arrow

Go to the previous week.

Alt+Up Arrow

Go to the previous month.

Alt+Page Up

Go to the start of the week.

Alt+Home

Go to the end of the week.

Alt+End

Go to previous appointment.

Ctrl+Comma or Ctrl+Shift+Comma

Go to next appointment.

Ctrl+Period or Ctrl+Shift+Period

Set up recurrence for an open appointment or meeting.

Ctrl+G

See also under Views: Calendar Day/Week/Month view, and Date Navigator.

Contacts

To do this

Press

Find a contact.

F11

Dial a new call.

Ctrl+Shift+D

Find a contact or other item (Search).

F3 or Ctrl+E

Enter a name in the Search Address Books box.

F11

In Table or List view of contacts, go to first contact that starts with a specific letter.

Shift+letter

Select all contacts.

Ctrl+A

Create a message with selected contact as subject.

Ctrl+F

Create a contact (when in Contacts).

Ctrl+N

Create a contact (from any Outlook view).

Ctrl+Shift+C

Open a contact form for the selected contact.

Ctrl+O

Create a contact group.

Ctrl+Shift+L

Print.

Ctrl+P

Update a list of contact group members.

F5

Go to a different folder.

Ctrl+Y

Open the Address Book.

Ctrl+Shift+B

Use Advanced Find.

Ctrl+Shift+F

In an open contact, open the next contact listed.

Ctrl+Shift+Period

Close a contact.

ESC

Send a fax to the selected contact.

Ctrl+Shift+X

Open the Check Address dialog box.

Alt+D

In a contact form, under Internet, display the Email 1 information.

Alt+Shift+1

In a contact form, under Internet, display the Email 2 information.

Alt+Shift+2

In a contact form, under Internet, display the Email 3 information.

Alt+Shift+3

Electronic Business Cards

Frequently used shortcuts for Electronic Business Cards

To do this

Press

Open the Add list.

Alt+A

Select text in Label box when the field with a label assigned is selected.

Alt+B

Open the Add Card Picture dialog box.

Alt+C

Place cursor at beginning of Edit box.

Alt+E

Select the Fields box.

Alt+F

Select the Image Align drop-down list.

Alt+G

Select color palette for background.

Alt+K, then Enter

Select Layout drop-down list.

Alt+L

Remove a selected field from the Fields box.

Alt+R

Select items in Business Cards view

To do this

Press

Select a specific card in the list.

One or more letters of the name that the card is filed under or the name of the field that you are sorting by

Select the previous card.

Up Arrow

Select the next card.

Down Arrow

Select the first card in the list.

Select the last card in the list.

End

Select the first card on the current page.

Page Up

Select the first card on the next page.

Page Down

Select the closest card in the next column.

Right Arrow

Select the closest card in the previous column.

Left Arrow

Select or cancel selection of the active card.

Ctrl+Spacebar

Extend the selection to the previous card and cancel selection of cards after the starting point.

Shift+Up Arrow

Extend the selection to the next card and cancel selection of cards before the starting point.

Shift+Down Arrow

Extend the selection to the previous card, regardless of the starting point.

Ctrl+Shift+Up Arrow

Extend the selection to the next card, regardless of the starting point.

Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow

Extend the selection to the first card in the list.

Shift+Home

Extend the selection to the last card in the list.

Shift+End

Extend the selection to the first card on the previous page.

Shift+Page Up

Extend the selection to the last card on the last page.

Shift+Page Down

Move between fields in an open card

To use the following keys, make sure a field in a card is selected. To select a field when a card is selected, click the field.

To do this

Press

Move to the next field and control.

Tab

Move to the previous field and control.

Shift+Tab

Close the active card.

Enter

Move between characters in a field

To use the following keys, make sure a field in a card is selected. To select a field when a card is selected, click the field.

To do this

Press

Add a line in a multiline field.

Enter

Move to the beginning of a line.

Move to the end of a line.

End

Move to the beginning of a multiline field.

Page Up

Move to the end of a multiline field.

Page Down

Move to the previous line in a multiline field.

Up Arrow

Move to the next line in a multiline field.

Down Arrow

Move to the previous character in a field.

Left Arrow

Move to the next character in a field.

Right Arrow

Tasks

Frequently used shortcuts for Tasks

To do this

Press

Accept a task request.

Alt+C

Decline a task request.

Alt+D

Find a task or other item.

Ctrl+E

Open the Go to Folder dialog box.

Ctrl+Y

Create a task (when in Tasks).

Ctrl+N

Create a task (from any Outlook view).

Ctrl+Shift+K

Open selected item.

Ctrl+O

Print selected item.

Ctrl+P

Select all items.

Ctrl+A

Delete selected item.

Ctrl+D

Forward a task as an attachment.

Ctrl+F

Create a task request.

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+U

Switch between the Folder Pane, Tasks list, and To-Do Bar.

Tab or Shift+Tab

Undo last action.

Ctrl+Z

Flag an item or mark complete.

Insert

Work with Task items in Timeline view

When an item is selected

To do this

Press

Select the previous item.

Left Arrow

Select the next item.

Right Arrow

Select several adjacent items.

Shift+Left Arrow or Shift+Right Arrow

Select several nonadjacent items.

Ctrl+Left Arrow+Spacebar or Ctrl+Right Arrow+Spacebar

Open the selected items.

Enter

Select the first item on the timeline (if items are not grouped) or the first item in the group.

Select the last item on the timeline (if items are not grouped) or the last item in the group.

End

Display (without selecting) the first item on the timeline (if items are not grouped) or the first item in the group.

Ctrl+Home

Display (without selecting) the last item on the timeline (if items are not grouped) or the last item in the group.

Ctrl+End

When a group is selected

To do this

Press

Expand the group.

Enter or Right Arrow

Collapse the group.

Enter or Left Arrow

Select the previous group.

Up Arrow

Select the next group.

Down Arrow

Select the first group on the timeline.

Select the last group on the timeline.

End

Select the first item on screen in an expanded group or the first item off screen to the right.

Right Arrow

When a unit of time on the time scale for days is selected

To do this

Press

Move back in increments of time that are the same as those shown on the time scale.

Left Arrow

Move forward in increments of time that are the same as those shown on the time scale.

Right Arrow

Switch between active view, To-Do Bar, Search and back to active view.

Tab and Shift+Tab

Groups

Work with groups

To do this

Press

Expand a single selected group.

Right Arrow

Collapse a single selected group.

Left Arrow

Select the previous group.

Up Arrow

Select the next group.

Down Arrow

Select the first group.

Select the last group.

End

Select the first item on screen in an expanded group or the first item off screen to the right.

Right Arrow

Send/Receive folders and groups

To do this

Press

Start a send/receive for all defined Send/Receive groups with Include this group in Send/Receive (F9) selected. This can include headers, full items, specified folders, items less than a specific size, or any combination that you define.

F9

Start a send/receive for the current folder, retrieving full items (header, item, and any attachments).

Shift+F9

Start a send/receive.

Ctrl+M

Define Send/Receive groups.

Ctrl+Alt+S

Views in Outlook

Table view

To do this

Press

Open an item.

Enter

Select all items.

Ctrl+A

Go to the item at the bottom of the screen.

Page Down

Go to the item at the top of the screen.

Page Up

Extend or reduce the selected items by one item.

Shift+Up Arrow or Shift+Down Arrow, respectively

Go to the next or previous item without extending the selection.

Ctrl+Up Arrow or Ctrl+Down Arrow, respectively

Select or cancel selection of the active item.

Ctrl+Spacebar

Calendar views

To do this

Press

View from 1 through 9 days.

Alt+key for number of days

View 10 days.

Alt+0 (zero)

Switch to weeks.

Alt+Minus Sign

Switch to months.

Alt+=

Move between Calendar, TaskPad, and the Folder List.

Ctrl+Tab or F6

Select the previous appointment.

Shift+Tab

Go to the previous day.

Left Arrow

Go to the next day.

Right Arrow

Go to the same day in the next week.

Alt+Down Arrow

Go to the same day in the previous week.

Alt+Up Arrow

Day view

To do this

Press

Select the time that begins your work day.

HOME

Select the time that ends your work day.

END

Select the previous block of time.

Up Arrow

Select the next block of time.

Down Arrow

Select the block of time at the top of the screen.

Page Up

Select the block of time at the bottom of the screen.

Page Down

Extend or reduce the selected time.

Shift+Up Arrow or Shift+Down Arrow, respectively

Move an appointment up or down.

With the cursor in the appointment, Alt+Up Arrow or Alt+Down Arrow, respectively

Change an appointment's start or end time.

With the cursor in the appointment, Alt+Shift+Up Arrow or Alt+Shift+Down Arrow, respectively

Move selected item to the same day in the next week.

Alt+Down Arrow

Move selected item to the same day in the previous week.

Alt+Up Arrow

Week view

To do this

Press

Go to the start of work hours for the selected day.

Go to the end of work hours for the selected day.

End

Go up one page view in the selected day.

Page Up

Go down one page view in the selected day.

Page Down

Change the duration of the selected block of time.

Shift+Left Arrow, Shift+Right Arrow, Shift+Up Arrow, or Shift+Down Arrow; or Shift+Home or Shift+End

Month view

To do this

Press

Go to the first day of the week.

Go to the same day of the week in the previous page.

Page Up

Go to the same day of the week in the next page.

Page Down

Date Navigator

To do this

Press

Go to the first day of the current week.

Alt+Home

Go to the last day of the current week.

Alt+End

Go to the same day in the previous week.

Alt+Up Arrow

Go to the same day in the next week.

Alt+Down Arrow

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 4:33 AM

[...]

You're right, I should have tested before posting, but I was in a rush. It did work for me with Windows 7, but not on my new Windows 10 machine. Unfortunately, none of the other methods posted in response to this query work on this machine, either. Now I'm curious.

[...]

David Ferrin

Go right to the source for the answers you need.

[...]

A clear conscience is normally the result of a failing memory.

Adrian Spratt

For Outlook 2016 and Windows 10, this suggests:

Control-y to go to the folders list.

Arrow down or first-letter navigate to the folder you want to delete.

Press control-d.

I just tried this. An Okay and a Cancel button appeared, but no JAWS verbalization confirming that these buttons refer to deleting. They probably do, but I didn’t want to complete the process on any of my existing folders.

[...]

Thanks Mike, this looked so informative I posted it on tips and tricks.

[...]

Thanks, that worked fine.

[...]

Hi David,

You and all the list members are most certainly welcome.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 5:32 AM