From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf
Of Ann Byrne
Sent: July 9, 2019 6:22 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Word 2016 "find"

windows 10, 1903
JAWS 2019 June version
Word 2016 retail
JAWS Word classic scripts.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word
in context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Ann Byrne

I have tried f6. I get the same result.

At 07:27 PM 7/9/2019, you wrote:
I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just like it
does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word
in context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Adrian Spratt

Hi Ann,

With a similar configuration, I just tested Word's "find" feature and realize I'm having a similar experience. However, I'm so used to treating it as a trial-and-error function that I hadn't noticed. Let me detail two experiments I just tried.

First, I pressed control-f and typed in my search term. The only way to read the term in context was to press escape and then insert-8 ("say line"). Initially, JAWS wouldn't read the line with insert-8, but it did so on my second press. So, how to reach the next result? I pressed control-f again. As I recall (I can't replicate this now JAWS verbalized "Next result." Assuming correctly that I was still on the first result, I pressed the spacebar. I landed on the second result, but JAWS remained uncooperative. The only way to read the context was, again, to press escape and then insert-8, the say line command.

Now, this gets interesting. I abandoned that search and started one for a different term. This time JAWS read the results pretty much as I expected and wanted. I pressed control-f and enter. JAWS read the context and then "Next result." I could press escape if I wanted to stay at that point or the spacebar if I wanted to move on. I chose a term that had numerous occurrences in that document, and it proceeded the same way throughout.

This is consistent with my experience. My first time through is hit-or-miss. The second time, for whatever reason, the "find" function works well.

It's important because of the limitations of the JAWS search feature, which can find only whole words, not search strings that might or might not be words. Also, Word reports the number of instances of a search term.

I hope this is helpful. I realize it may not sound like it is. And you never know with JAWS, what works for one person might not for another.

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Rebecca Lineberger

I saw this years ago in a Word tutorial that I got, I think, from National
Braille Press. I changed it in my Word 2010.
It may be worth looking at in Word 2016 or 365 to see if it's still doable.
Rebecca
Restoring the traditional find command in Word
# Find Command for Word 2010 and above.
Here are the steps for getting CTRL+F to work in the traditional manner.
These steps work in Word 2013. I don't have Word 2016 but I think they
should also work in that version of Word.

1. Use Alt with F followed by T to go into the Word options.
2. In the list of categories either use down arrow or press the letter
C until you get to the "customize ribbon" category.
3. Press Alt with T to use the customize button.
4. Use down arrow until you get to the Home tab.
5. Tab to the commands list.
6. In the commands list press E until you find the "EditFind" command.
7. Tab a couple times to the "press new shortcut key" box.
8. Press CTRL with F.
9. Tab to the Save Changes In box and choose Normal.DOTM.
10. Tab to the Assign button and press spacebar.
11. Tab to the Close button and use spacebar.
12. Tab to OK and use spacebar.

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Adrian Spratt

Rebecca,
Thanks for posting these steps. They do work in Word 2016. Unfortunately, they've made no difference on my system. If anything, I know longer get the benefit I described last night when I perform a second "find." With luck, the situation will return to normal. Did I hear someone say, "Situation normal. FUBAR"?

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Rebecca Lineberger

I use control-f to find the word. You will be on a
Find next button rather than the word you searched for.
Press escape and you will be on the word in the text of the document. There
you can use JAWS up arrow to read the line for context.
If that's not the right occurrence of the word, use the Word find next
command
Shift-f4 and you will be placed on the next occurrence without having to
escape out of a
Find next button. Again use JAWS up arrow to read for context.
Not so hard. Smile.

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Larry Volk

Thanks Rebecca, I'm not sure why the search quit working since I moved over
to Win10 from win7 but now this has it working again. Unfortunately, it
doesn't tell me how many occurrences are found now that I have reassigned
the ctrl+f key using these steps.

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Rebecca Lineberger

I guess I've had mine set this way for so long that I don't ever remember
being told how many times the search word occurs. I just press shift-f4
until I find what I need. Smile.
The JAWS find command
JAWS-control-f
does not tell you how many occurrences there are either.
If you use Word's search and replace, it does tell you how many times the
word was found.
So I typed a document using the word
Test
Several times.
I pressed
control-h
for find and replace.
I told Word to search for
Test
And to replace it with
Test
The same word.
I tabbed to replace all and was promptly told that Word had made seven
replacements.
So if you absolutely need to know how many times you've repeated yourself by
using the same word, there's your work-around. Smile.

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Larry Volk

The item count only came in since I upgraded from Jaws14 and Win7. So it
doesn't really make much difference to me the best is that now the Ctrl+f
feature works again.

I had problems with the find command since I moved to windows 10. An
alternative key to use is the F6 which brings up the search box just
like it does with the ctrl+f, give it a try.

When I press ctrl+f and type in the word 'team' and press enter, JAWS
tells me 'not available in tables or spellcheck ..." or some other
apps. then it says, "one of two". if I press enter on what is
obviously the "find next" button, JAWS speaks the same message, with
the addition of "two of two". It is finding the data. However,
insert+c generates the same "not available" message. Escaping from
the find dialog leaves the cursor on the word, selected.

How can I make JAWS tell me it has found the word and read the word in
context???

Much thanks,

Ann

Ann Byrne

So> I didn't solve this problem. Vispero told me to call and we would work on it. Before I had time to do that, my grandson used the offending computer for a game of some kind. Before calling Vispero I tested to be sure it still didn't work ... and \
"find" read the word it found as well as the context. whatever the kid did fixed the problem.
Go figure!

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Ann,

The grandson probably used a rubber mallet instead of a sledge hammer!  LOL  LOL