Topics

Using Insert F10 instead of Alt Tabbing

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

I recently learned about using Insert F10 to switch between programs.  This seems like it will be helpful when I have a lot open and alt tabbing would take longer.  What I’m curious about is stuff showing up in this view that I don’t know about and seems like it adds clutter.  I’m on a company laptop, so I’m guessing this is extra stuff my company is running in the background, but I’m wondering if this is similar to what others see.   Here is an example:

I’m in Windows 10 with JAWS 2019.  The only programs I have launched are JAWS and my Outlook inbox.  Alt Tabbing only shows my desktop and the inbox, since I have JAWS running in the system tray.  When I press Insert F10, this is what I get.

Running Applications List box
HubWindowPlugin.dll On Top
1 of 4
HubWindowPlugin.dll On Top
2 of 5
Inbox - Robin_Van_Lant@... - Outlook Minimized
3 of 5
JamPostMessageWindow Restored
4 of 5
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver On Top
5 of 5

Do others see stuff running in what I’d call the background that is listed here?

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

george b

Alt tab cycles you through open apps. Like word, outlook, etc.

Insert f10 opens the list of applications running on your device, i.e.  pointing device, outlook, a message if open, and other devices like in your case Bluetooth devices and there seems to be 2 of those running on your device.

[...]

Rebecca Lineberger

Instead of pressing alt-tab if you have more than two programs open,

Press windows key-tab.

You will be in a list of running apps in which you can press the left and right arrow keys to go from one to another.  When you find what you want, just press enter to select it.  If instead you want to close a program, when you find it, press the context menu key and arrow down to close and press enter.

Windows-t will put you on the taskbar, but this will give you all programs you’ve pinned there as well as running programs.  Again, use the left and right arrow keys to navigate.

[...]

Dennis L

I suspect some of that is stuff either windows or your company has running in the background.

[...]

Thanks, Rebecca.  I’ll play with your suggested approach.  I liked the list box view of the F10 route, but as the day goes on, I see other background apps filling in that list.

[...]

Chris Nestrud

The Cisco Jabber client leaves this HubWindowPlugin.dll in the insert+f10 list.

Chris

Inbox - Robin_Van_Lant@... <mailto:Robin_Van_Lant@...> - Outlook
Minimized
3 of 5
JamPostMessageWindow Restored
4 of 5
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver On Top
5 of 5

Do others see stuff running in what I'd call the background that is listed
here?

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 | www.keyequipmentfinance.com
<http://www.keyequipmentfinance.com/>

intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This
communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers
directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose
information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Thanks, Chris. Wish it was named something more obvious, but I can now see how you can open that navigate to the Jabber main window.

[...]

copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you
received this communication in error, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether
electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of
the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse
or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide
the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

services from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with
'No Promotional E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.

Larry Volk

Hi Robin;

Most of that stuff you can alt f4 out of without doing any damage. For example: Synaptics Pointing Device Driver you can turn that off and your touchpad will remain on. When I first started using win10 this and other programs that were loaded at startup kept showing up in this list. Since they were just taking up memory and annoying to arrow through I turned them off without any consequences.