Topics

locked Unacceptable experience with tech support at Vispero

Adrian Spratt

I’m copying below a message I just sent to Vispero tech support with names and other private details omitted. I firmly believe JAWS users need to know not only the strengths of Vispero’s tech support, but also its failings so that we can protect ourselves and our systems.

Hi. My license number is ----.

I encountered two distressing problems with your phone tech support this week. I explained the underlying JAWS defect in my preceding email. The gist is that JAWS has suddenly started interspersing gibberish when I use “say all’ with Chrome on webpages. Here, I I’m hoping I can help spare other JAWS users the experiences I had with tech support.

On Tuesday afternoon, I called for assistance. X listened to my explanation and immediately said he would have the problem escalated. I waited until Friday without getting any follow-up, and so I called again around six o’clock. Z told me he could find no escalation report. That’s one issue. I was a waiting in vain for action that was never going to be taken.

The second issue is far more serious. Unlike X, Z made an attempt to solve the problem. After connecting into my system, he determined that my Intel video driver needed updating, which he did. Unfortunately, it didn’t solve the problem. So he continued to investigate.

At some point, our call got disconnected. I sat at my phone and PC for at least ten minutes, not wanting to interrupt Z’s concentration. Finally I said “Hello,” and on getting no response, I realized we’d lost the connection. I then went to my PC and saw that he’d written a message on Notepad asking me to call back.

By now it was approaching seven o’clock, and I had a social commitment. I finished getting ready before calling back, only to learn at 7:02 that Vispero shuts down at seven.

At this point, I discovered that something was very wrong with my system. Whatever Z had been working on was unfinished, but I couldn’t figure out what he’d been doing. JAWS gave me no information. (Later experience, as you’ll see, makes me think Narrator might have been more help.) I took a risk and rebooted. Thankfully, the computer came back up, but with no speech. I turned on Narrator, at which point I found references to Intel, graphics drivers and some features of the Ease of Access Center. As Narrator spoke, JAWS also suddenly started speaking. I closed Narrator and tried to get JAWS to read what was on the screen, but with no luck. It verbalized only items on the desktop. I tried to restart Narrator, but it wouldn’t come up.

I then attempted to use JAWS to work with email and other programs, but it acted weirdly. Afraid to reboot again, I called my tech support person who said he would get back to me later that night, which suited us both. We got back in touch around 10:30. By midnight, he’d restored my system to the previous restore point, August 9, and began solving various new problems associated with the restore process. For my part, I had to update JAWS again. More work was done this morning, and yet more will be done on Monday.

Here’s what I can’t understand. Z clearly wishes to be helpful, and I believe he is more than competent. However, he left my computer in an exposed, risky state. Although it turns out he’d asked me to call back, he didn’t warn me that Vispero would be closing in less than ten minutes. In fact, he still had access to my system: that connection wasn’t broken. He could at least have completed what he was working on or, failing that, closed up the items he’d opened.

Also, he could have called me. My phone number is surely in your system because I’ve been asked for it in the past. He had my name and license number and could have looked it up.

This is going to be a costly repair job for me thanks to Vispero’s tech support. More than that, if I didn’t have such a conscientious tech person available, things could have got out of hand. I’m reasonably competent with JAWS and I have some understanding of computers, but I’m no techy. My expertise is in other areas. As it is, I spent late last night fixing things with my tech guy, then another hour until one o’clock fixing things on my own, only to resume with my tech guy this morning. It has been very disruptive.

Vispero must train its support staff never to leave a customer in the lurch like this. I’ve had good and bad experiences with JAWS support over the years. Frankly, the bad ones had made me apprehensive about calling again, even though when the experiences were good, they were very good. Now I’m apprehensive all over again. I’m hoping this matter can now be resolved through email and without having a Vispero employee connecting to my system. But above all, I’m hoping Vispero will assure me and other JAWS users that something like this will never occur again.

I’m going to post a version of this complaint, minus individual names, on the JAWS list I subscribe to. People need to know how to safeguard themselves against irresponsible actions by tech support staff.

Please advise.

Adrian Spratt

Gerald Levy

I have to be very blunt about your experience.?? Yes, Vispero could have done a better job.?? But as a blind consumer, you also have a responsibility.?? You should never call customer support for Vispero or any other company when it is close to quitting time, which is normally 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM local time.?? Always call earlier in the day, preferably when they open.?? If this is not convenient, then find a way to make the time.?? I can't tell you how many times I have been disconnected from a customer support agent only to call back and discover that the company had closed for the day, or else all the agents had gone out to lunch, which, for most [companies, is usually between 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM local time, another period which should be avoided.??

Gerald

On 8/17/2019 10:21 AM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

I???m copying below a message I just sent to Vispero tech support with names and other private details omitted. I firmly believe JAWS users need to know not only the strengths of Vispero???s tech support, but also its failings so that we can protect ourselves and our systems.

??

Hi. My license number is ----.

??

[...]

A company cannot leave a customer in the lurch like that.

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

I agree, the job does not end at 5PM if the job isn't done.
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:53 AM

[...]

Oh yes they can!!?? When it's quitting time or lunch time, they walk out the door.?? They don't care about leaving a customer in the lurch.?? It's not just Vispero.?? Even large companies like Verizon have customer support agents who simply disconnect the customer in the middle of a call because the clock has struck 5:00 PM or else they are experiencing a Big Mac attack and need to rush out to McDonald's for lunch.

Gerald

On 8/17/2019 10:53 AM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

[...]

Holger Fiallo

I agree. This need to be address.

[...]

Well is looks like it does with jaws. When I worked as a social worker, if I had a call from a clientand it was getting to 4:00 PM (I worked from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM) I address the issue with my client and if it look like it was going to take more time I let the client know I will call the next day. I did help when it was an emergency.

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:53 AM

[...]

Miriam Vieni

I know very little about technology and certainly, not a whole lot about Jaws. But what I do know is that the company which now produces Jaws and provides technical support, like so many other companies, has grown and merged with other companies; that its organization is now a lot more complicated than it once was, and that, inevitably its connection to blind users in the US is more impersonal and fragmented than it used to be. Because I’m old, I’ve seen this change take place in all of the systems of which we are a part. Size, bureaucracy, and focus on the largest possible profit, are to blame.

Miriam

[...]

Tom Behler

With all due respect, I must agree with Adrian here.

Although it’s always good to avoid calling tech support near the end of their working hours, some of us have very busy schedules, and simply can’t call at any time of the day.  If someone is working during normal business hours, they simply might not be able to put everything on hold while technicians try to solve a problem.  I remember these sorts of issues very well when I was in my University teaching and administrative positions.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

Several months I have issues with my Windows but when I call Microsoft, they help and it took several hours. They did not just say it was 5:00 PM and ended the call.

[...]

Tom yes. However those of us who work and had problem that someone needed help we did not just tell them call me tomorrow. If I could not address the problem, I made a point of calling the person ASAP. This has to do with respect and following through.

[...]

HSG Director

Quite so, especially, when the tech chap knew jolly well the issue and had all the customer details to hand.

I usually do not jump into these discussions but this is an issue of fundamental importance. We talk about inclusion, disability equality, legal and moral obligations etc. but such concepts are mere ideals if staff of a specialist company who make their living out of selling products to vi people can’t be bothered about their business, legal and moral obligations.

Many Thanks

Waqas H. Chauhdry

[...]

Geno Stone

If all that has issues with Freedom Scientific/ Vispero. I can tell you from first hand experience. That is go to the web site and find the area related to quality of service. It has been a while since I’ve been there to rate now, Vispero. Yet, Something close to this happen to me a while back. I was so mad I went to the Web-site and kept looking till.. To which I clearly stated the issue. To whom I had spoken with and .. I was not expecting to hear except I did and a Gentleman told me whom he was and.. So, Please find that spot on the web-site and tell your story in full with the names involved and I’ll bet you will see.. Gene/Geno

[...]

Kevin

Really any jaws issues could first be solved by performing a jaws repair!

Make sure the jaws executable is in your downloads folder, then just launch it as if you are doing a jaws update.  If the executable is the same version as the one you are currently running, once youlaunch it jaws will automatically do a repair.  At least that’s what happened on my computer.

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

[...]

Judy Jones

I also had less-than-stellar tech support this past week from a support person who, to my knowledge, gave me misinformation, and I confirmed this through trial and error and other sources.  Very disappointed.

Judy

[...]

Was much better as Hinter-Joyce.

Judy

[...]

One consideration, although not justifiable to the customer with the problem is that many of the blind workers wherever, catch mass transit that won’t wait.  Someone driving a car can afford to get on the road when convenient for them, not so necessarily when taking mass transit.

Judy

[...]

They should have taken note of how Window Eyes did tech support when they bought them out. They had the best tech support ever.

[...]

Holly

Judy:

That was a very long time ago.  Hahahaha.