Topics

Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

Astrid van Woerkom

Hi all,
I am new to this list and, though I’m not new to JAWS, I have some seemingly novice questions.
I need to make the choice between a Mac with VoiceOve ror a PC with Windows 10 and JAWS. Background: have used PCs with JAWS ever since 2002, but had been waiting for approval from my health insurance to get a new JAWS version ever since late 2017. In the meantime, last January, I bought a Mac, which I can’t get used to. Long story short, I was finally approved for JAWS and now my husband is willing to get me a Windows PC and to take over my Mac. Keeping both the Mac and PC is not an option for practical reasons.

As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how useable JAWS is these days. Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way old JAWS. What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?

Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like my iPhone and really use it all the time.

What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)? Just some random questions. Will ask more if I think of any.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Astrid,
I think for the best experience with browsers, folks will do best with two or three of them, at least Chrome and FireFox.
IE is working less and less with web content.
The good news on browsers, is that they all react pretty much the same with the same screenreader, so once your settings are as you like them, all the key combinations are the same.
About the biggest difference is in browsers other than IE, you press control L instead of control O for opening a link that you type in, and in FF, you have bookmarks instead of favorites, so it is alt + B instead of alt + A.
And in Chrome, if you do control L, and type in the name of the bookmark, it will auto-fill it for you.
Unfortunately accessibility is still fleeting with the Internet.
That should answer one of your many questions at least.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 12:56 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

Hi all,
I am new to this list and, though I’m not new to JAWS, I have some seemingly novice questions.
I need to make the choice between a Mac with VoiceOve ror a PC with Windows 10 and JAWS. Background: have used PCs with JAWS ever since 2002, but had been waiting for approval from my health insurance to get a new JAWS version ever since late 2017. In the meantime, last January, I bought a Mac, which I can’t get used to. Long story short, I was finally approved for JAWS and now my husband is willing to get me a Windows PC and to take over my Mac. Keeping both the Mac and PC is not an option for practical reasons.

As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how useable JAWS is these days. Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way old JAWS. What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?

Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like my iPhone and really use it all the time.

What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)? Just some random questions. Will ask more if I think of any.

Astrid van Woerkom

Hi Glenn,
Thanks so much.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 20:27 heeft Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi Astrid,
I think for the best experience with browsers, folks will do best with two or three of them, at least Chrome and FireFox.
The good news on browsers, is that they all react pretty much the same with the same screenreader, so once your settings are as you like them, all the key combinations are the same.
About the biggest difference is in browsers other than IE, you press control L instead of control O for opening a link that you type in, and in FF, you have bookmarks instead of favorites, so it is alt + B instead of alt + A.
And in Chrome, if you do control L, and type in the name of the bookmark, it will auto-fill it for you.
Glenn

Hi all,

Kendra Schafer

Hi Astrid and all! The reason why accessability to the internet is still fleety is because there are way too many websites that are not accessible to screen readers. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731@...
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Kschaber@...
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io on behalf of Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 11:26
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

Hi Astrid,
Glenn

Hi all,

Sugar Lopez

Kendra

How true that statement is plus a lot of web sited have grapics and some screen readers don’t read them correctly

Smile

Sugar

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- - Winnie the Pooh

I appreciate your friendship/support at:

https://www.gofundme.com/sugars-transplant-journey

-Sugar

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kendra Schafer
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 12:36 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io; jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hi Astrid and all! The reason why accessability to the internet is still fleety is because there are way too many websites that are not accessible to screen readers. 

Blessed be!!!

Kendra Schaber

350 Org,

Citizen’s Climate Lobby,

Capitol Chapter,

Salem, Oregon.

Home Email:

Redwing731@...

Kschaber@...

Phone:

971-599-9991

SE.

Sent from my Gmail Email

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 11:26

Hi Astrid,

Glenn

Hi all,

Steve

First, you are going to need to be a bit flexible.

With Windows 10, Google Chrome is a good browser; and although it is not recommended by information technology experts because of some security risks, Internet Explorer 11 is also quite accessible.
The IE replacement, the Edge browser, is decently accessible with the latest version of Jaws; but that browser is evolving and will be eventually part of the Chromium experience

Flexibility though may be necessary; there are some instances where you may encounter a website that doesn't perform well with one browser, but will with another.  That may also apply to screen-readers; there may be a few instances when Jaws will not cooperate but a competitive screen-reader will, and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of Windows Mail, maybe it works better for others, but I never was happy with it.  A lot of folks use Thunderbird; I use Outlook Express, but that is a more complex story than what you apparently want to deal with.

You can use the Microsoft App Store, but I haven't found it necessary; there are plenty of places to get different programs to perform the functions that one needs in Windows 10 without using their store.

As for feed discovery, you can monitor those in IE and Google Chrome; I am sure Firefox has that capability also, but I only use an older version of Firefox on a limited basis for its Captcha solving plug-in.

Yes, there are ways to move data between your Windows 10 PC and the iPhone.  See

And, you can set up syncing capabilities, althoough you will find the easiest way by downloading the Microsoft Phone companion from that dreaded app store. See

Yes, the Kindle is accessible with Jaws.  As a matter of fact, I think that was referenced in one of the recent updates to Jaws 19.
Steve

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:56 PM

Hi all,

Astrid van Woerkom

Thanks so very. much. I think I’ll do fine using Chrome and Firefox then. As for feed readers, I guess I’m going to look into online ones, as the Thunderbird add-on doesn’t seem to have the organizing capabilities I want. I follow like several hundreds of blogs.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 22:19 heeft Steve <hamsteve64@...> het volgende geschreven:

First, you are going to need to be a bit flexible.

With Windows 10, Google Chrome is a good browser; and although it is not recommended by information technology experts because of some security risks, Internet Explorer 11 is also quite accessible.
The IE replacement, the Edge browser, is decently accessible with the latest version of Jaws; but that browser is evolving and will be eventually part of the Chromium experience

Flexibility though may be necessary; there are some instances where you may encounter a website that doesn't perform well with one browser, but will with another.  That may also apply to screen-readers; there may be a few instances when Jaws will not cooperate but a competitive screen-reader will, and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of Windows Mail, maybe it works better for others, but I never was happy with it.  A lot of folks use Thunderbird; I use Outlook Express, but that is a more complex story than what you apparently want to deal with.

You can use the Microsoft App Store, but I haven't found it necessary; there are plenty of places to get different programs to perform the functions that one needs in Windows 10 without using their store.

As for feed discovery, you can monitor those in IE and Google Chrome; I am sure Firefox has that capability also, but I only use an older version of Firefox on a limited basis for its Captcha solving plug-in.

Yes, there are ways to move data between your Windows 10 PC and the iPhone.  See

And, you can set up syncing capabilities, althoough you will find the easiest way by downloading the Microsoft Phone companion from that dreaded app store. See

Yes, the Kindle is accessible with Jaws.  As a matter of fact, I think that was referenced in one of the recent updates to Jaws 19.
Steve
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:56 PM

Hi all,

Audiobookfan

Astrid,

Regarding browsers, I find that the latest versions of both Chrome and Firefox work well with recent versions of JAWS. IE also still works well from my experience in most cases. (It's still my default browser.)

I use Thunderbird for email and love it. It's quite accessible with JAWS.

If you like your iPhone (as I like mine) you might find that some things are even easier on the iPhone than on the PC. For instance, I use the iOS Facebook app even though the mobile Facebook site is accessible. The Kindle app on the iPhone is accessible as is the Audible app and the BARD app if you have access to BARD.

There are several podcast apps for the iPhone that are quite accessible and popular. And you might want to try Lire for your blogs.

Many people like iPhone apps for Twitter, but I greatly prefer TWBlue on my Windows 10 computer.

As far as syncing files between Windows and iOS is concerned, Dropbox works quite well for this. You can also use Google Drive or OneDrive from Microsoft. I understand you can use iCloud even now, but I haven't done this myself. And as of iOS 13 being released this fall, it definitely should work even better with the new updated Files app.

I'd be willing to bet that you will find Windows 10 with JAWS to be a much more pleasant experience than you had with your mac. Good luck.

Jeff

On 6/21/2019 10:56 AM, Astrid van Woerkom wrote:
Hi all,
Astrid
http://bloggingastrid.com/
http://astridetal.wordpress.com/

Glenn / Lenny

I just now tried signing up for a newsletter from a web site I heard on Coast To Coast with Internet Explorer, and I tried to do the audio challenge, and I got a message back stating that my computer appears to be sending automated queries and to try back later.
This has happened before with IE.
So I did alt + D and control C to copy the URL, and opened the page in FireFox, and everything worked well with FF.
This is but one example where we need to have multiple browsers at hand.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 7:12 PM

Astrid,

Regarding browsers, I find that the latest versions of both Chrome and
Firefox work well with recent versions of JAWS. IE also still works well
from my experience in most cases. (It's still my default browser.)

If you like your iPhone (as I like mine) you might find that some things
are even easier on the iPhone than on the PC. For instance, I use the
iOS Facebook app even though the mobile Facebook site is accessible. The
Kindle app on the iPhone is accessible as is the Audible app and the
BARD app if you have access to BARD.

There are several podcast apps for the iPhone that are quite accessible
and popular. And you might want to try Lire for your blogs.

Many people like iPhone apps for Twitter, but I greatly prefer TWBlue on
my Windows 10 computer.

As far as syncing files between Windows and iOS is concerned, Dropbox
works quite well for this. You can also use Google Drive or OneDrive
from Microsoft. I understand you can use iCloud even now, but I haven't
done this myself. And as of iOS 13 being released this fall, it
definitely should work even better with the new updated Files app.

I'd be willing to bet that you will find Windows 10 with JAWS to be a
much more pleasant experience than you had with your mac. Good luck.

Jeff

> Hi all,
> I am new to this list and, though I’m not new to JAWS, I have some
> seemingly novice questions.
> I need to make the choice between a Mac with VoiceOve ror a PC with
> Windows 10 and JAWS. Background: have used PCs with JAWS ever since
> 2002, but had been waiting for approval from my health insurance to get
> a new JAWS version ever since late 2017. In the meantime, last January,
> I bought a Mac, which I can’t get used to. Long story short, I was
> finally approved for JAWS and now my husband is willing to get me a
> Windows PC and to take over my Mac. Keeping both the Mac and PC is not
> an option for practical reasons.
>
> As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want
> to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how useable JAWS
> is these days. Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to
> the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three
> different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way
> old JAWS. What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible
> nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?
>
> Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like
> my iPhone and really use it all the time.
>
> What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still
> accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)? Just some random questions. Will ask
> more if I think of any.
>
> Astrid
> http://bloggingastrid.com/
> http://astridetal.wordpress.com/
>

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi all! Sometimes, some websites work better with Firefox and other websites only work with Chrome. 

Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731@...
Kschaber@...
Phone:
971-599-9991
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 17:27

I just now tried signing up for a newsletter from a web site I heard on Coast To Coast with Internet Explorer, and I tried to do the audio challenge, and I got a message back stating that my computer appears to be sending automated queries and to try back later.
So I did alt + D and control C to copy the URL, and opened the page in FireFox, and everything worked well with FF.

Glenn

Astrid,

my Windows 10 computer.

Jeff

> Hi all,
>
>
>
>
> Astrid
>

Astrid van Woerkom

Thanks so much for answering my questions. Yes, I used to use Lire on my iPhone and a web-based feed reader on Windows. I never found a good web-based reader that I liked though. Now I use News Explorer on both my iPhone and Mac, because it syncs very easily. That’s the only thing keeping me from deciding I want a Windows PC, because I use feed readers really all the time.

Op 22 jun. 2019 om 02:12 heeft Audiobookfan <listening4it@...> het volgende geschreven:

Astrid,

Regarding browsers, I find that the latest versions of both Chrome and Firefox work well with recent versions of JAWS. IE also still works well from my experience in most cases. (It's still my default browser.)

If you like your iPhone (as I like mine) you might find that some things are even easier on the iPhone than on the PC. For instance, I use the iOS Facebook app even though the mobile Facebook site is accessible. The Kindle app on the iPhone is accessible as is the Audible app and the BARD app if you have access to BARD.

There are several podcast apps for the iPhone that are quite accessible and popular. And you might want to try Lire for your blogs.

Many people like iPhone apps for Twitter, but I greatly prefer TWBlue on my Windows 10 computer.

As far as syncing files between Windows and iOS is concerned, Dropbox works quite well for this. You can also use Google Drive or OneDrive from Microsoft. I understand you can use iCloud even now, but I haven't done this myself. And as of iOS 13 being released this fall, it definitely should work even better with the new updated Files app.

I'd be willing to bet that you will find Windows 10 with JAWS to be a much more pleasant experience than you had with your mac. Good luck.

Jeff

Hi all,
Astrid
http://bloggingastrid.com/
http://astridetal.wordpress.com/

Justin Williams

It appears that Firefox does not work as well with google drive when it comes to reading sheets.  And I mean between last Saturday, and last Monday.  I think mine updated, but I’ve got to run sum more tests

Could also be the sheets come up protected. 

I’m going to test google chrome.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Kendra Schaber
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 10:29 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io; jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hi all! Sometimes, some websites work better with Firefox and other websites only work with Chrome. 

Blessed be!!!

Kendra Schaber

350 Org,

Citizen’s Climate Lobby,

Capitol Chapter,

Salem, Oregon.

Home Email:

Phone:

971-599-9991

SE.

Sent from my Gmail Email

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 17:27

Glenn

Astrid,

my Windows 10 computer.

Jeff

> Hi all,
>
>
>
>
> Astrid
>