Topics

Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

Astrid van Woerkom

Hi all,
I am new to this list and, though I’m not new to JAWS, I have some seemingly novice questions.
I need to make the choice between a Mac with VoiceOve ror a PC with Windows 10 and JAWS. Background: have used PCs with JAWS ever since 2002, but had been waiting for approval from my health insurance to get a new JAWS version ever since late 2017. In the meantime, last January, I bought a Mac, which I can’t get used to. Long story short, I was finally approved for JAWS and now my husband is willing to get me a Windows PC and to take over my Mac. Keeping both the Mac and PC is not an option for practical reasons.

As the purchase of the Mac was quite a desperate action and I don’t want to repeat it, I want to get opinions from people as to how useable JAWS is these days. Is there a browser that works well? I cannot get used to the way Safari works on the Mac, but I don’t want to have to have three different browsers on my PC like I did with my last Windows PC and way old JAWS. What about Windows Mail? Is the Windows app store accessible nowadays, and if not, where do you get your apps?

Is there a way to keep files synchronized between PC and iPhone? I like my iPhone and really use it all the time.

What feed reader(s) is/are accessible with JAWS? Is Kindle for PC still accessible (Kindle for Mac isn’t)? Just some random questions. Will ask more if I think of any.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Astrid,
I think for the best experience with browsers, folks will do best with two or three of them, at least Chrome and FireFox.
IE is working less and less with web content.
The good news on browsers, is that they all react pretty much the same with the same screenreader, so once your settings are as you like them, all the key combinations are the same.
About the biggest difference is in browsers other than IE, you press control L instead of control O for opening a link that you type in, and in FF, you have bookmarks instead of favorites, so it is alt + B instead of alt + A.
And in Chrome, if you do control L, and type in the name of the bookmark, it will auto-fill it for you.
Unfortunately accessibility is still fleeting with the Internet.
That should answer one of your many questions at least.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 12:56 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Transitioning back from Mac to PC? Lots of questions

[...]

Hi Glenn,
Thanks so much.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 20:27 heeft Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> het volgende geschreven:

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 12:56 PM

[...]

Kendra Schafer

Hi Astrid and all! The reason why accessability to the internet is still fleety is because there are way too many websites that are not accessible to screen readers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731@...
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Kschaber@...
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 12:56 PM

[...]

Sugar Lopez

Kendra

How true that statement is plus a lot of web sited have grapics and some screen readers don’t read them correctly

Smile

Sugar

- - Winnie the Pooh

-Sugar

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 12:56 PM

[...]

Steve

First, you are going to need to be a bit flexible.

With Windows 10, Google Chrome is a good browser; and although it is not recommended by information technology experts because of some security risks, Internet Explorer 11 is also quite accessible.
The IE replacement, the Edge browser, is decently accessible with the latest version of Jaws; but that browser is evolving and will be eventually part of the Chromium experience

Flexibility though may be necessary; there are some instances where you may encounter a website that doesn't perform well with one browser, but will with another.  That may also apply to screen-readers; there may be a few instances when Jaws will not cooperate but a competitive screen-reader will, and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of Windows Mail, maybe it works better for others, but I never was happy with it.  A lot of folks use Thunderbird; I use Outlook Express, but that is a more complex story than what you apparently want to deal with.

You can use the Microsoft App Store, but I haven't found it necessary; there are plenty of places to get different programs to perform the functions that one needs in Windows 10 without using their store.

As for feed discovery, you can monitor those in IE and Google Chrome; I am sure Firefox has that capability also, but I only use an older version of Firefox on a limited basis for its Captcha solving plug-in.

Yes, there are ways to move data between your Windows 10 PC and the iPhone.  See

And, you can set up syncing capabilities, althoough you will find the easiest way by downloading the Microsoft Phone companion from that dreaded app store. See

Yes, the Kindle is accessible with Jaws.  As a matter of fact, I think that was referenced in one of the recent updates to Jaws 19.
Steve

[...]

Thanks so very. much. I think I’ll do fine using Chrome and Firefox then. As for feed readers, I guess I’m going to look into online ones, as the Thunderbird add-on doesn’t seem to have the organizing capabilities I want. I follow like several hundreds of blogs.

Op 21 jun. 2019 om 22:19 heeft Steve <hamsteve64@...> het volgende geschreven: