Topics

System Tray question

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

I rely on a few icons in my system tray for programs I minimize during the day, just as JAWS, our instant messaging client, our VPN software, and checking status of an active network connection.   Can someone explain to me how the order of these icons is determined?  The order  sometimes fluctuates and I’m wondering why.  I can understand one not being there if it’s not currently running, but one that is usually the left most icon might suddenly become the right most icon in the row.  Can I lock them in a certain order? 

Also, sometimes  when I use Windows B, then arrow left or right to get to the icon I need but before I can hit enter or applications key on the icon, focus will jump to a different one.  Just thought I’d ask here if others experience this before I add it to my list of Microsoft Accessibility questions.  

Running Windows 10 1909 with JAWS 2019 1904

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Robin,

I believe you're running Windows 10, and if so below are the steps I use to arrange the system tray icons in the order I want them.

I just learned that the Badges option needs to be turned off in order to
rearrange the System Tray icons and here are my corrected steps:
Settings and their state:
Lock the Taskbar button, On.

The next several options I have Unchecked / Off.

Taskbar location on screen Combo box, Bottom

Taskbar location on screen Combine taskbar buttons, Never

Here's how I rearrange the system tray icons  running Windows 10 Pro Version
1809 (OS Build 17763.379) & all installed versions of Jaws.
1. Windows key + I, for Settings, tab 1 time to System, right arrow to
Personalization, and press enter.
2. Navigate to, Taskbar and press enter.
3. Tab several times to, Show Badges on Taskbar..., and make sure this is,
Off / unchecked.
4. Tab a few times to, Notification Area, Select which icons appear on the
taskbar Link, and press enter.
5. Okay now to put the System Tray in the order you want it in.  Tab through
all the icons making a note of which ones you have checked / turned on
because you're going to uncheck all of them.
6. Uncheck all the icons.  Now you will go through and check the icons in
the order you want them in but keep in mind, they will appear in the reverse
order that they are checked.  What I mean is, the 1st one yu check will be
at the bottom of the list, the 2nd will be 2nd from the bottom, the 3rd will
be 3rd from the bottom etc. etc....  After you're done open the system tray
to make sure it's the way you want it and Alt + F4 if it is.

Note:  With the System Tray now arranged the way you want it, you can now
turn, Badges, on if you prefer this setting to be on.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 12:40 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] System Tray question

Hi,

I rely on a few icons in my system tray for programs I minimize during the day, just as JAWS, our instant messaging client, our VPN software, and checking status of an active network connection.   Can someone explain to me how the order of these icons is determined?  The order  sometimes fluctuates and I’m wondering why.  I can understand one not being there if it’s not currently running, but one that is usually the left most icon might suddenly become the right most icon in the row.  Can I lock them in a certain order? 

Also, sometimes  when I use Windows B, then arrow left or right to get to the icon I need but before I can hit enter or applications key on the icon, focus will jump to a different one.  Just thought I’d ask here if others experience this before I add it to my list of Microsoft Accessibility questions.  

Running Windows 10 1909 with JAWS 2019 1904

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.