Topics

Syntax for shell command to pin apps to the desktop

Jim Pursley

Hey, Mike.  Mind re-sending the shell: (run command I think) to send an app folder icon to the desktop.

Tks.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Howdy Jim,

Here you go:
1. Go to your desktop and make sure nothing is selected. To do this: press CONTROL plus SPACE, then JAWS (or other screen reader) should say, “Not Selected.”
If you need to, hit CTRL+SPACE again.

2. Press Applications/Menu Key or SHIFT plus F10, and Arrow down to the New Submenu, then press ENTER.

3. ARROW down to Shortcut then press ENTER.

4. When it asks you to type the location of the shortcut, type:  %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder

5. TAB to the Next button then press ENTER.

6. When it asks for a name for the shortcut, press the DELETE key then type:  AppsFolder

7. TAB to the Finish button, then press ENTER.

8. Now, on your desktop, you will have a shortcut that reads:  AppsFolder

9. If you press ENTER on this shortcut, a special Windows system folder will open containing all of your apps.

10. Now, create any shortcut for an app as follows:

11. Press ENTER on the AppsFolder icon.

12. Use First-letter Navigation to find and select the app for which you want the shortcut on your desktop.

13. ARROW down to Create Shortcut, then press ENTER.

14. When it tells you that a shortcut can’t be created here, and it asks if you want a shortcut on the desktop, press ENTER on Yes.

15. That’s it. Now you will have a shortcut for your desired app on the desktop, along with the AppsFolder shortcut, which you can use later when you need
to create another desktop shortcut.

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:08 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Syntax for shell command to pin apps to the desktop

Hey, Mike. Mind re-sending the shell: (run command I think) to send an
app folder icon to the desktop.

Tks.

JM Casey

I don't think there is a simple run command that will let you accomplish this. Mike gave you the way that, I suppose, most users would rather utilise. If you just like commands vs menus as much as I do though, or if for instance you were a network administrator, you might find this interesting, or useful. It can be accomplished with either a powershell script or simple small programmes.
https://sumtips.com/tips-n-tricks/create-shortcuts-from-command-line-in-windows/