Topics

Sudden gibberish in "say all" with JAWS and Chrome

Adrian Spratt

I’ve made no changes overnight to my system, and yet this morning, all of a sudden, JAWS has started interrupting “say all” with frequent bursts of gibberish. For example, it just now verbalized “617 s p a c e” before resuming reading regular text. When I quote a phrase like that, it might not seem like much, but these interruptions are very distracting, in part because it takes me several listens to interpret what’s being said.

I first experienced it today on the New York Times website and figured the Times had made yet one more accessibility-challenging website update. However, it’s happening on the second website I’ve visited, one that requires a password to enter.

I’m using the latest release of JAWS 2019 along with Windows 10 and, again, Chrome. I’ve rebooted twice to make sure all applications are in synch.

My workaround is to copy Website text to Notepad, but I don’t want to have to take this extra step every time.

Anyone else encountering this annoyance?

Hamit Campos

e only thing I've seen but I guess it's a youtube thing where it reads or says a whole bunch of numbers before saying the name of the vid. Now though it's auto reading a bunch of what vids are next. Oh whilst we are on this JAWS still says a load of stuff as you hit the like button and still there's no way of knowing if you've liked a vid or not. Yes you can look at the number under the button but I fortet things so it was easyer when with IE JAWS just said unlike if you already had liked the vid. So that's the strangeness I've seen with JAWS. Thanks be on to God not this kind of stuff. Hope it gets fixed.

On 8/13/2019 9:03 AM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

I haven't, but you could try using the sites with FireFox and use F9 to put it in reader mode.
If Chrome has a reader mode, I would like to know how to invoke it.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] Sudden gibberish in "say all" with JAWS and Chrome

[...]

Debby Hill

Hi Adrian,

I tried two sites just now. One was the National Institutes of Health and the other was the New York Times. I don’t have a subscription to the times so I don’t know if that would actually make a difference. I didn’t have your problem in read all. I am using the latest version of JAWS with Chrome Version 76.0.3809.100 but with Windows 10 1803. (My computer has not asked me to update windows, and I haven’t taken the time to do it.

I can only think of two things. Is the screen maximized and is there any chance that JAWS graphics announcements got changed?

Sorry I can’t think of more help! Good luck!

Debby

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

Hi, Debby.

Clever of you to think of graphics. Unfortunately, I’ve just gone through my various graphics settings, and they were set at default, where I’d left them. As for maximization, I have chrome to open maximized by default.

Thanks for giving this some thought. NO apologies called for.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

JM Casey

Apparently, chrome is *getting* a reader mode, at least according to an article I found from April of this year. Until then though, you may be able to find an extension to do this. Someone who uses Chrome more than I do (I’m 90% a firefox user still) might want to chime in.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

Not me, so far, but I wonder, is this only happening with ‘say all”?

Say all is something I hardly ever use unless I walk away from the computer and just have my bluetooth headphones on. It may seem anitquated or slow but I normally just arrow through. Now that I have my braille display I just advance at leisure. Anyway, not suggesting you do this, but I was just wondering if, when you focus on individual lines, the extra stuff is still read. Maybe you could copy out some of these lines so we can see what the gibberish actually looks like? That might help.

[...]

It occurs only in ‘say all.” Unfortunately, since the problem occurs only in “say all,” I can’t copy a line to demonstrate. But the example I gave of a number followed by the five letters in “space” should give you an idea.

The guy I spoke to at FS on Tuesday said he would escalate the issue, but when I called this afternoon, there was no record of his having done so. It got worse at FS today, as I’ll detail in a post tomorrow.

[...]

I don’t really understand the fascination with reader mode. It gets grumpy when you interrupt to check you’ve heard something right, you can’t go back and forth between windows, and clicking on a link within an article disrupts it. Reader mode is for sitting back and passively listening.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

How do you turn this new reader mode on even? This is the first I hear of it.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

F9 in firefox.

Unless I’m mistaken, Chrome doesn’t have one built-in, yet, at least not in the desktop version, but it’s coming. I believe there’s at least one extension for it though that I’ve seen people talka bout here or elsewhere.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

I don’t know about a fascination, but it’s good for removing the clutter from articles, particularly on certain sites. Yes, it’s for passive reading, not clicking around on the  web – I don’t think it was ever intended to be used constantly.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[...]

Yeah, that’s unfortunate – I really don’t know and don’t think I’ve ever experienced this. I’m only an occasional Chrome user, still.