Topics

Status update: Outlook calendar issue

Ken Chernack

Hi all.

Many months ago, I spoke to the Tech Support folks at The Sparrow and then wrote an entry to this list.

A few replies said… thanks, keep us posted.

Okay, consider this email a call to action… grassroots CUSTOMER (that's YOU and me) support/turmoil.

The problem: due to a bug in Jaws Outlook 2016 (and probably other supported versions) does not give correct schedule information in day and month formats.

I am using latest Jaws 2019 and Windows10 products.

I had to update from Outlook 2010 to 2016 for them to talk to me about this issue.

The Sparrow acknowledges the issue and has given it a priority 3.

I have waited 4 to 6 months for a correction. Nothing timely happens on priority 3 problems.

My calendar has become just about worthless.

I hear 8 appointments and there are 2…. I hear 13 appointments for the day and there are 3, I hear 5 appointments and there are 0 appointments.

I have lost my patience.

As they say at Joe's Garage, "the wheel that squeaks the loudest gets greased and repaired!"

Do you have this problem and have been passively sitting around ignoring it?

Stop. Call Tech Support and complain, complain, complain.

I just made that phone call…. had a productive discussion and am now writing this note.

Tell them that the tracking number is -

"The key tracking number in our development database on your multiple appointment issue is:

BZ 106500

Let's get some action.

Let's get Outlook Calendar working correctly.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation..

Onward,

Ken

Kathryn.Frederick@ood.ohio.gov

Hello,

Thanks for your email. I use my Outlook Calendar for work everyday; it’s set to “day view” and I’m using JAWS. I am, however, not experiencing the issues you’re describing. When I open my calendar today, for example, JAWS tells me I have three appointments and two all day events. When I then press tab and shift+tab each appointment or event is read to me by JAWS. I’ll look at my calendar settings, but I don’t recall changing other items for JAWS to work as well as it does for me.

Katie Frederick

Program Administrator

Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired

Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities

Desk: (614) 438-1260

Mobile: (614) 980-2769

Email: Kathryn.Frederick@...

[...]

Thanks for the reply.

I have reviewed my settings with Microsoft and The Sparrow. They did not make any changes.

Yes, it should work as it does on your computer. It was that way for years before this problem appeared months ago.

As mentioned in my note, The Sparrow told me that others had spoken to them about this issue.

Consider yourself 'lucky'… not as good as winning PowerBall, but still pretty good.

Ken

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Thanks for the call to action. I have really disliked the way JAWS reads the Outlook calendar. I was so used to the little special appointment dialog that Window Eyes offered.  If I really want to skim my calendar, I pull it up on my iphone, since my work calendar is synced there and that allows me to much more efficiently look ahead at my appointments.  I really dislike that JAWS tries to tell me how many appointments are on a day, as I find it very confusing and I am probably experiencing what you are experiencing, but just hadn’t tried to articulate it.

I will get some notes together and call this into Vispero, too.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2019, Office 365

Robin Van Lant

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

I also use the day view and do find that much more usable than the week view.  As I was just playing with it, I think the issue for me is largely the level of verbosity moving from day to day.  It does work better to arrow left and right to move through days, instead of trying to tab through events.  What I like about looking at my schedule on the iPhone is that I can flick quickly through all events, skipping past empty days.  With all the verbosity, I find this much more cumbersome using tab to do this on the laptop with JAWS. If I only wanted to arrow to a new day and then tab through the events for that day, I think it would work better.  Not sure that I’m seeing the erroneous reporting of event counts for a given day, but it’s just too verbose sometimes for me and I wish the day was first before the event count.

Robin