Topics

Splitting a Word file while using JAWS

Adrian Spratt

Hi. I have a Word file that’s so long (1,400 pages), JAWS keeps stalling when I do a search. So I decided to locate the halfway point of the file, select the rest, cut it, and then paste it into a new document. However, I keep getting a message that Word “isn’t responding.” Naturally, JAWS also stops responding.

I tried selecting smaller and smaller sections (200 pages, even 100), but Word just won’t cooperate. I also tried converting the file to a .TXT file, but with even less success.

I’m using the latest JAWS, Word 2016 and Windows 10-1809. Any ideas? Any workarounds?

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Adrian,
Do you cut, or do you copy?
I ask because cut is usually not ever the option to use unless you want to move text from one place to another, like you are editing and you think, hmm, this part of the sentence should go before, not after.
So you cut it and paste it somewhere else.
Or possibly you did copy and are using the word "cut" indiscriminately.
When you "cut", it means to remove it from here.
If so, try to copy, and not cut.

Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 1:15 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Splitting a Word file while using JAWS

Hi. I have a Word file that’s so long (1,400 pages), JAWS keeps stalling when I do a search. So I decided to locate the halfway point of the file, select the rest, cut it, and then paste it into a new document. However, I keep getting a message that Word “isn’t responding.” Naturally, JAWS also stops responding.

I tried selecting smaller and smaller sections (200 pages, even 100), but Word just won’t cooperate. I also tried converting the file to a .TXT file, but with even less success.

I’m using the latest JAWS, Word 2016 and Windows 10-1809. Any ideas? Any workarounds?

Adrian Spratt

Hi Glenn,

I did mean cut, as in cut from the current document to paste into another. Just in case, I just now tried copying instead of cutting, but went through the same time-consuming and fruitless performance.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:24 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Splitting a Word file while using JAWS

Hi Adrian,

I ask because cut is usually not ever the option to use unless you want to move text from one place to another, like you are editing and you think, hmm, this part of the sentence should go before, not after.

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Can you convert it to an RTF file?
WordPad should open it by default, or if Word still opens the RTF file, use open with and select Wordpad.
HTH.

Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 1:44 PM

Hi Glenn,

I did mean cut, as in cut from the current document to paste into another. Just in case, I just now tried copying instead of cutting, but went through the same time-consuming and fruitless performance.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny

Hi Adrian,

Glenn

Adrian Spratt

That worked. Thanks. I’m still open for a faster, less complicated solution, but I’m glad to have this option.

Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:07 PM

WordPad should open it by default, or if Word still opens the RTF file, use open with and select Wordpad.

HTH.

Hi Glenn,

Hi Adrian,

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Adrian,
Are you using a computer with a minimal amount of RAM?
If not, maybe you need to reboot, or increase your virtual RAM.
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 3:29 PM

That worked. Thanks. I’m still open for a faster, less complicated solution, but I’m glad to have this option.

HTH.

Hi Glenn,

Hi Adrian,

Glenn

Adrian Spratt

If anything, I overdid RAM. And yes, I did reboot at one point.

Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:34 PM

Adrian,

Are you using a computer with a minimal amount of RAM?

If not, maybe you need to reboot, or increase your virtual RAM.

HTH.

Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2019 3:29 PM

HTH.

Hi Glenn,

Hi Adrian,

Glenn

Brian Lee

Hello Adrian,

Sometimes using draft view and stopping background repagination helps speed up navigating in Word.  I don’t know if doing those things will help but you might want to try.  You cannot stop the repagination of a large document in print view as Word needs to continually show pages the way they would be if printed.  You can switch to draft view under the view tab of the ribbon.  To stop background repagination you first need to be in draft view or the option doesn’t even show in the advanced category of the Word options.  After changing to draft view go into the Word options and choose the advanced category.  One of the last groups in this category is General.  It is faster to repeatedly use shift Tab to get to the General group. There will be a “enable background repagination” checkbox that you can uncheck and then use OK.  While in draft view you won’t get the information about the placement of the text or graphics and how the pages will appear if printed.  For example, in print view you might use Alt with delete to hear that the cursor is one inch from the left.  In draft view you might hear that it is at 0 inches.  When you change back to print view the repagination will start again.

I don’t know if this will help but it might be worth checking it out.

Take care. 

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: July 2, 2019 11:16 AM

Adrian Spratt

Brian, thank you so much. My problem with the first file has been solved, but I’ll use this approach for the next one. I have several large files that I need to break down. I’m confident your method will work. I also appreciate the warnings so that I won’t be worrying when the format changes in draft view.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Lee
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:47 PM

Hello Adrian,

Sometimes using draft view and stopping background repagination helps speed up navigating in Word.  I don’t know if doing those things will help but you might want to try.  You cannot stop the repagination of a large document in print view as Word needs to continually show pages the way they would be if printed.  You can switch to draft view under the view tab of the ribbon.  To stop background repagination you first need to be in draft view or the option doesn’t even show in the advanced category of the Word options.  After changing to draft view go into the Word options and choose the advanced category.  One of the last groups in this category is General.  It is faster to repeatedly use shift Tab to get to the General group. There will be a “enable background repagination” checkbox that you can uncheck and then use OK.  While in draft view you won’t get the information about the placement of the text or graphics and how the pages will appear if printed.  For example, in print view you might use Alt with delete to hear that the cursor is one inch from the left.  In draft view you might hear that it is at 0 inches.  When you change back to print view the repagination will start again.

I don’t know if this will help but it might be worth checking it out.

Take care. 

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: July 2, 2019 11:16 AM