From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:36 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Skype for business question

Hi all,

I’m really hoping that someone on here can help me. I don’t ever use Skype, but somehow (I have no idia how) I opened Skype for business on my laptop and I want to know how to get rid of it. When I do alt f4 Jaws says  “Skype for business is still running so that you can receive alerts and messages when you’re signed in.) So oviously alt f4 won’t work to close it. My sighted parents have tried clicking on something that says to stop showing this reminder click here, but whenever they try and click on that the button disappeares. Is there some way that I can get rid of or close Skype for business so that it doesn’t keep coming up? As I said I never use Skype, so if I have to uninstall it then I’m fine with that. I’m using Jaws 15 and Windows 7. I really hope that someone can help me, it’s driving me nuts having a program open that I don’t use especially since I can’t just close it and move on. Look forward to hearing back from anyone who can help me! Thanks for any help that you can provide me, I really appreciate it! Thanks

Madison

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Madison,
To completely close it, do insert + F11 and arrow to it and tab to exit.
You will need to open startup and uncheck it there.
In windows 7, and perhaps in 10, tap the windows key + R and type in:
msconfig
In that window, shift + tab to startup.
Uncheck all the things that you really don't need, like office and some other things.
Unless you use all the programs all the time, you can uncheck them.
Just don't uncheck any of your anti-virus or malware items.
These startup items slow down your system.

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 2:35 PM

[...]

Madison Martin

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for those instructions. I tried it but when I shift tab to startup I didn’t get a list of programs, all I got are checkboxes for selective startup, diagnostic startup and normal startup. What am I doing wrong? Also when I did insert f11 it didn’t come up when I arrowed down, all I got was our Internet connection and some other thing that I don’t know what it is. Look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 2:35 PM

[...]

I'm sorry, I think I wrote:
shift + tab.
It's shift + control + tab
That will get you to the startup page.
There you will check and uncheck with the space bar on items that you don't want to start with Windows.
On the insert + F11, that should have brought up Skype.
I was used to this one because it came up on me at work all the time, and because I did not have administration privileges on that computer, I could not take it out of the startup.
But the insert + F11 should work for you.
When you do insert + F11, you can arrow through the programs still running, and when you find Skype, you can tab or shift + tab to exit.

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 3:16 PM

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 2:35 PM

[...]

I just tried doing control shift tab, and it took me to tools not startup. Is there something wrong with my computer? I’m not going to try insert f11 again, I’m just going to uncheck Skype in the start-up list. Look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks

Madison

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 3:16 PM

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 2:35 PM

[...]

You may need to do it twice.
You could have just controll + tabbed, but it's less to use the shift key and go backwards.
You'll hear it say startup.
If you keep doing it, you will wind up on the page you started on when you opened MsConfig.

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 5:13 PM

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 3:16 PM

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 2:35 PM