Topics

Reading the properties dialog of a drive

Loy

How can I read the properties dialog of a drive on my computer? I need to know the amount of free space on the drive.

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Loy,
The way you read the properties of anything on your computer is to press alt + enter.
This includes icons, folders, files, and drives in this PC.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 9:39 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Reading the properties dialog of a drive

How can I read the properties dialog of a drive on my computer? I need to know the amount of free space on the drive.

Loy

This brings up the properties dialog but I can only read the tabs and not the information in the dialog, what am I missing? new to JAWS and I am sure there is a way to do this. Long time Window Eyes user.

Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Reading the properties dialog of a drive

Hi Loy,
The way you read the properties of anything on your computer is to press alt + enter.
Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Hey Loy,
You can do it a couple ways.
You can route the Jaws to the PC cursor, with insert + Jaws key.
Or you can virtualized the window with alt + caps lock + W.
I think you need to have laptop mode set for this key combination though.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 10:02 PM

This brings up the properties dialog but I can only read the tabs and not the information in the dialog, what am I missing? new to JAWS and I am sure there is a way to do this. Long time Window Eyes user.

Hi Loy,
Glenn

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Loy,

After highlighting / selecting the drive and pressing, Alt + Enter, to bring up the properties. 
1. Route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor with the keystroke, Insert + Jaws cursor key / Numpad minus.
2. Press the, Pageup key / Numpad 9.
3. Now arrow down 1 line at a time to find your used and free space plus more.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 8:02 PM

Hi Loy,
Glenn

JM Casey

I personally just press the JAWS cursor key (numpad minus). Hardly ever have to route. I just tested using my current file explorer window (always have one open) and pressign alt-enter plus jaws cursor key has me right at the top of the properties box.

The key combination for virtualizing on a desktop layout is, I believe, insert-alt-w.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 5, 2019 11:09 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hey Loy,

You can do it a couple ways.

You can route the Jaws to the PC cursor, with insert + Jaws key.

Or you can virtualized the window with alt + caps lock + W.

I think you need to have laptop mode set for this key combination though.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 10:02 PM

Hi Loy,

Glenn

sandy

your 1st step is confusing. shouldn’t it be to route the pc cursor to the jaws cursor?

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 10:17 PM

Hi Loy,

After highlighting / selecting the drive and pressing, Alt + Enter, to bring up the properties.
1. Route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor with the keystroke, Insert + Jaws cursor key / Numpad minus.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

This brings up the properties dialog but I can only read the tabs and not the information in the dialog, what am I missing? new to JAWS and I am sure there is a way to do this. Long time Window Eyes user.

Hi Loy,
Glenn

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Sandy,

No, step 1 is correct.  Using your suggestion won't read the properties.  You route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor to expand the page and to get to the text that the PC cursor won't get to on its own or get to by routing the PC cursor to the Jaws cursor.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 12:55 PM

your 1st step is confusing. shouldn’t it be to route the pc cursor to the jaws cursor?

Hi Loy,

1. Route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor with the keystroke, Insert + Jaws cursor key / Numpad minus.

This brings up the properties dialog but I can only read the tabs and not the information in the dialog, what am I missing? new to JAWS and I am sure there is a way to do this. Long time Window Eyes user.

Hi Loy,
Glenn

sandy

I must not be using the jaws screen reader correctly then. I thought the pc cursor was used for every day use, and the jaws cursor was what we used to expand the page. I’m so confused

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 4:48 PM

Hi Sandy,

No, step 1 is correct.  Using your suggestion won't read the properties.  You route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor to expand the page and to get to the text that the PC cursor won't get to on its own or get to by routing the PC cursor to the Jaws cursor.

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,
Glenn

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Sandy,

It's most definitely a learning curve to know when to use the Jaws cursor verses the PC cursor.  What would make it easier is by physically showing you an example.  Personally I route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor much more often than using just the Jaws cursor by itself.  Most importantly is to be in a window that you can arrow around in to see what Jaws reads to you using just the PC cursor, then routing the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor and arrowing around to compare how much more is read to you with the Jaws to PC cursor function employed.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 3:19 PM

I must not be using the jaws screen reader correctly then. I thought the pc cursor was used for every day use, and the jaws cursor was what we used to expand the page. I’m so confused

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,
Glenn

sandy

so, you’re telling me that you primarily use the jaws cursor, not the pc cursor?

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 6:05 PM

Hi Sandy,

It's most definitely a learning curve to know when to use the Jaws cursor verses the PC cursor.  What would make it easier is by physically showing you an example.  Personally I route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor much more often than using just the Jaws cursor by itself.  Most importantly is to be in a window that you can arrow around in to see what Jaws reads to you using just the PC cursor, then routing the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor and arrowing around to compare how much more is read to you with the Jaws to PC cursor function employed.

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,
Glenn

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

No, I use the PC cursor most of the time but, when it's necessary I route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor much more often than using the Jaws cursor by itself.  Here's something you can try as an experiment.  Go to somewhere on your computer where you have a folder and highlight / select a folder, but don't open it.  Now with the folder highlighted press, Alt Enter, to open the properties of the folder.  With the properties open arrow up and down using the PC cursor to see how much Jaws will read to you, it won't be very much.  Now press, Insert + Jaws cursor, to route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor.  Now up / down arrow to see how much more Jaws will read to you.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 4:14 PM

so, you’re telling me that you primarily use the jaws cursor, not the pc cursor?

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,
Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Sandy,
As a rule, we never use the Jaws cursor.
The PC cursor is active wherever your keyboard is working at the time.
Think of the Jaws cursor as an emergency cursor, to reach information that the PC cursor isn't reaching.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 6:14 PM

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,
Glenn

JM Casey

It is quite simple, but maybe the right way to describe it hasn’t’ been found yet.

Your PC cursor will only go wherever you can type, more or less.

The JAWS cursor can potentially go anywhere in a window.

The properties box for a drive or file or folder contains a lot of information, but you can’t manipulate or change most of it, at least not in this fashion. The filesize, for instance, is not an editable field that you can adjust, so your PC cursor will normally skip right over it (although, not to complicate things further, but there are “read only” fields that appear kind of like edit fields, too).

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of sandy
Sent: May 7, 2019 7:15 PM

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,

Glenn

JM Casey

You might not need to route at all. I usually don’t. It’s occasionally necessary for me, though, and apparently for Mike, it is most of the time – not sure why the difference.  If you activate the jaws cursor and it doesn’t seem to be where you think it should be (in this case, focused on the just-opened file properties box), press insert-numpad minus.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: May 7, 2019 5:49 PM

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,

Glenn

JM Casey

I know we’re trying not to overcomplicate things, but I use it a lot more than that, so I don’t consider it an emergency cursor, just the cursor that can go where the mouse can go, and easily reads output that’s not automatically spoken by JAWS in certain programmes (command line, IRC, etc).

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 7, 2019 8:01 PM

Hi Sandy,

Think of the Jaws cursor as an emergency cursor, to reach information that the PC cursor isn't reaching.

Glenn

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

I never use it unless I think my PC cursor is not giving me the information I should be able to access.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 7:32 PM

I know we’re trying not to overcomplicate things, but I use it a lot more than that, so I don’t consider it an emergency cursor, just the cursor that can go where the mouse can go, and easily reads output that’s not automatically spoken by JAWS in certain programmes (command line, IRC, etc).

Hi Sandy,

Glenn

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,

Glenn

JM Casey

That’s what I’m talking about – quite a lot of places the PC cursor won’t go, and with good reason. But it depends on what programmes you tend to use, I suppose.

Sent: May 7, 2019 8:36 PM

I never use it unless I think my PC cursor is not giving me the information I should be able to access.

Glenn

Hi Sandy,

Glenn

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,

Glenn

sandy

I see now why it’s so confusing, it’s your terminology. thanks for trying to explain. I see my mind is just too simple for you experienced jaws users

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 6:38 PM

No, I use the PC cursor most of the time but, when it's necessary I route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor much more often than using the Jaws cursor by itself.  Here's something you can try as an experiment.  Go to somewhere on your computer where you have a folder and highlight / select a folder, but don't open it.  Now with the folder highlighted press, Alt Enter, to open the properties of the folder.  With the properties open arrow up and down using the PC cursor to see how much Jaws will read to you, it won't be very much.  Now press, Insert + Jaws cursor, to route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor.  Now up / down arrow to see how much more Jaws will read to you.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 4:14 PM

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,
Glenn

sandy

thanks to all you folks for the replys, but I must be the only person on this jaws list that heard that mike routed the jaws cursor to the pc cursor in a much earlier reply, and if that statement is true, that means to me that he was in the jaws cursor first, and then went to the pc cursor, right. that’s how I took what he said

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 7:40 PM

That’s what I’m talking about – quite a lot of places the PC cursor won’t go, and with good reason. But it depends on what programmes you tend to use, I suppose.

Sent: May 7, 2019 8:36 PM

Glenn

Hi Sandy,

Glenn

Hi Sandy,

Hi Sandy,

Hi Loy,

Hi Loy,

Glenn