Topics

Re-Sending.FW: [jaws-users] Web site shortcuts on desktop.

Judy Jones

Hello, David and All,

I am reposting, since I just got a mail delivery failure, but not sure which message.

Thanks for your patience.

Judy

“Embrace the day with its mercies and blessings.”

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 10:47 AM
To: 'jaws-users-list@groups.io'
Subject: RE: [jaws-users] Web site shortcuts on desktop.

Hi, David,

The steps I tried are as follows:

When on the site for which I want to create the shortcut, I went into Chrome settings, More Tools, Create Shortcut.   I hit enter and hit enter again, so that the shortcut would appear on my desktop.

I’ve only been on Google Chrome, maybe about a year, but I started having issues with Chrome crashing, which was happening with more frequency, so I reset the settings.

It has been since I reset the settings that I have had this problem.

I also would like to ask you which checkbox is checked in your Startup settings, just to make sure I have things correct.

Since my original installation of Chrome, Jaws has updated, Chrome has updated, and Windows has updated, so I am wondering if any of these updates are affecting this ability to create proper shortcuts that don’t always default to Google Chrome.

In addition, I also found some information on a forum where this can be an issue, so I am not the only one facing this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/every-chrome-desktop-shortcut-goes-to-googles-homepage-now.1199607/

I have also created a case with Google, and haven’t heard back yet.

Thanks again.

Judy

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of david
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 4:22 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Web site shortcuts on desktop.

Good morning;

perhaps you can give the steps you take to create a web desktop shortcut. I just created one in chrome, and had no problem using the shortcut to get to the web page.

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy Jones
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 7:48 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Web site shortcuts on desktop.

Hello, All,

I’ve recently updated to Jaws 19, although my issue may not have anything to do with that.

I also had problems with Google Chrome crashing, so I restored the settings, as had been suggested in a help forum.

Now, however, any of the shortcuts on my desktop to sites just take me to the main Google Chrome page.

I have tried deleting and creating new shortcuts, but no changes.  I also tried checking the checkbox on the shortcut creation dialogue that says to open in a window, still no changes.

I’ve tried the various On Startup checkboxes, still no changes.

Does anyone have ideas for me?  As it is now, I have to type in the total url and can no longer use shortcuts.

Judy