Topics

re-assign key on the keyboard

Bob Hicks

I am using the latest version of JAWS on a Win10 machine with version 1803.  Can I re—assign a key on a gaming keyboard?  What are the Jaws  steps to do so?  tia

Have a great day, 73

Bob Hicks, KC8CR

Windows 7 and 10 home 64 bit

Chris Nestrud

You could do this with the SharpKeys application from
https://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/

This is a standard Windows application so JAWS works quite nicely with
it.

Following description from that website:

SharpKeys is a Registry hack that is used to make certain keys on a
keyboard act like other keys. For example, if you accidentally hit Caps
Lock often, you could use this utility to map Caps Lock to a Shift key or even turn
it off completely. This official release includes support for up to 104
mappings, an extensive list of available keys, and a Type Key option to help
when managing mappings. As it relies on internal support within Windows
NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows
8, or Windows 10 you must be running one of these OS's for this
Registry hack to work.

Chris