Topics

Question of a couple of Firefox settings

Cristóbal

Hello list,

I hadn’t used Firefox in a good long while and went in today to update it and the extensions. While poking through the browser options and making sure everything was as I wanted it to be, I came across these two setting options. Since I rarely if ever have the need to delve into these settings, I don’t recall if it matters from a screen reader standpoint to have them enabled or disabled.

I would appreciate a reminder and some enlightenment. Please see below.

Browsing
 Use autoscrolling Alt+Shift+a check box‑ checked‑
 Use smooth scrolling Alt+Shift+m check box‑ checked‑

I’m mainly a Jaws 2019 user and sometimes NVDA in a pinch if that makes any sort of difference.

Thanks,

Cristobal

Mike B

Hi Cristóbal,

Check out the information from the link below.

I hadn’t used Firefox in a good long while and went in today to update it and the extensions. While poking through the browser options and making sure everything was as I wanted it to be, I came across these two setting options. Since I rarely if ever have the need to delve into these settings, I don’t recall if it matters from a screen reader standpoint to have them enabled or disabled.

I would appreciate a reminder and some enlightenment. Please see below.

Browsing
 Use autoscrolling Alt+Shift+a check box‑ checked‑
 Use smooth scrolling Alt+Shift+m check box‑ checked‑

I’m mainly a Jaws 2019 user and sometimes NVDA in a pinch if that makes any sort of difference.

Thanks,

Cristobal

Cristóbal

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link, but it seems to be broken.

404 Not Found

I mean, I’ve got no problem leaving those boxes checked, but if there’s any impact positive or otherwise by changing them, I’d like to know so I can make the necessary adjustments.

[...]

Below are various comments / posts from the link I posted earlier.

 * Autoscrolling if unchecked will not allow the scrolling you get by clicking the mouse scroll button.
Smooth Scrolling if unchecked will when rolling the mouse, jerkily move the requisite number of lines.

 * I unticked both of them but see no changes in the browsing. Wonder what they do.

 * I unticked both the boxes and restarted the FF.
Smooth scrolling unchecked moves the page by predetermined jump in lines. When checked, it is smoother.

But autoscrolling unchecked/checked didn't make a difference with the mouse scroll button.

 * If you want to scroll down the page faster, press the scroll button while moving the cursor up or down. Auto scroll has to be ticked to enable this.