Topics

preview pane in outlook 2016?

adam morris

Hi all,

Writing on behalf of someone I'm trying to assist.

I don't use outlook.

Someone sighted has turned on some kind of pane where if she arrows up and down through messages in the inbox jaws moves focus into the message instead of staying in the inbox and being able to press enter to read.

Wondering how to turn this off to get the previous behaviour.

TIA.

--

Adam Morris
Email, iMessage & FaceTime

Richard Turner

Have them try: alt, v, p, n, and arrow up or down to off, and hit enter or spacebar to turn off the reading pane.

Richard

Writing on behalf of someone I'm trying to assist.

I don't use outlook.

Someone sighted has turned on some kind of pane where if she arrows up and down through messages in the inbox jaws moves focus into the message instead of staying in the inbox and being able to press enter to read.

Wondering how to turn this off to get the previous behaviour.

TIA.

--

Adam Morris
Email, iMessage & FaceTime
adam@...

Hi Adam,

I'm using Outlook 2010 with Fusion 2019 but hopefully my below instructions will prove helpful.

I personally like using the preview pane with Outlook 2010 because as I arrow up and down through the emails in my inbox, I can press the F6 key to read the text of the message without actually having to open it. I can then press shift + F6 to return to my Inbox list of messages. To turn off the preview pane, I can do this:

1.   Press the alt key while focus is placed on the list of Inbox emails. Fusion at some point states that I'm on the Outlook lower ribbon.

2.   Press the up arrow to move to the upper ribbon. Fusion did not say upper ribbon but I believe announced the various menu choices residing there.

3.   Press the right arrow until you hear View and then press enter.

4.   On my system, this returned focus to the inbox email that had focus when I began the process. Pressing alt at this point returns focus to the View lower ribbon menu options.

5.   Press the right arrow until you hear Reading Pane and then press enter.

6.   A submenu pops open which can be navigated with the up and down arrow keys and None is one of the options which can be highlighted followed by pressing the enter key to turn off the reading pane.

I know the above is pretty involved but maybe someone will have a shortcut to reduce the number of steps.

Alan Lemly