From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Skyner
Sent: August 4, 2019 3:31 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] PDF Open parent document

Hi all,

When clicking on a link within a web page to go to a pdf document I am given the option to select a button “open parent document”,  this is my only option and after selecting I still cannot read the pdf document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Running Windows 10, latest Jaws I e and chrome.

Thanks

John

Don & Cher

Try pressing Alt, then F and arrow down to save as. Once the doc is saved, Adobe will open it and it is readable.

Cher

When clicking on a link within a web page to go to a pdf document I am given the option to select a button “open parent document”,  this is my only option and after selecting I still cannot read the pdf document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Running Windows 10, latest Jaws I e and chrome.

Thanks

John

Douglas C. DeCamp

This message is caused in IE 11 by the Adobe Add-in being enabled causing IE to try to open the document in the web page.  You can stop this and get the document opened in Adobe reader by going to Internet Options, Programs Tab, and then list all add-in programs.  Disable the Adobe add-in and the document will open correctly.  This used to be taken care of by the Accessibility Wizard in Adobe reader, but for whatever reason they discontinued asking this question and you now must take care of it yourself.

  • Hth ---

I got that same message yesterday with IE and with Chrome. But with Chrome I was able to continue to arrow down and read the PDF. It would be good to know what this message is and how to resolve it.

Larry

When clicking on a link within a web page to go to a pdf document I am given the option to select a button “open parent document”,  this is my only option and after selecting I still cannot read the pdf document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Running Windows 10, latest Jaws I e and chrome.

Thanks

John

Larry Volk

Do you mean manage add-ons, because I can’t find add-ins. Also, under my add-ons there is no add-on for Adobe.

Larry

[...]

Larry,

Yes, I mean add-ons.  You need to select the list all add-ons to see the Adobe add-on.  As I recall it is necessary to actually use the space bar on this selection to bring up the full list.  The list of add-ons should be around 25 or so if they are all listed.

  • Hth ---

[...]

I looked again and there are only 3 add-ons listed in my currently loaded add-ons, under the run without permissions there are 43 add-ons which are mostly Microsoft add-ons; nothing for Adobe. When I was still using windows 7 there were more add-ons in the current list than with win10.

[...]

Victor Gouveia

You should check to make sure the combo box after add-ons is not set to add-ons currently running.  It should be set on all add-ons.

Victor

[...]

Correct.  My list shows a total of 23 add-ons.  This is the one in question.

Name                Adobe PDF Reader

Publisher           Adobe Systems, Incorporated

Status              Disabled

Architecture        32-bit and 64-bit

Once again, note that when you set the combo box to all add-ons you still have to hit enter to  activate the selections.

--hth ---

[...]

My mistake, it’s hit the space bar to make the selection for all add-ons.

Sorry about that!

[...]

Thanks Victor;

I thought there should have been a tab showing all add-ons but for some reason it was hidden and it took a bit of work to get it unhidden. I’m not sure what all of the Microsoft add-ons are used for but for now I’ll just leave them turned on.

Larry

[...]

Tom Fairhurst

I’m getting in late on this thread, but I recall that I couldn’t find the Adobe add-on with the PC cursor. I found it with the touch cursor. I could then disable it. I can’t remember if I went b ack to the PC cursor to disable it or not. I say this because displaying all add-ons can be tricky.

[...]

John Skyner

Hi

Thanks for all help, I have disabled adobe add on which has now resolved the issue of “open parent document” button. I did however require sighted assistance to accomplish this.

Thanks

John

[...]

Gerald Levy

On a related question, if the PDF Reader extension needs to be disabled in IE in order for Acrobat Reader PC to read PDF documents correctly, is the same true for Google Chrome??? Chrome is my default browser, and the Adobe Acrobat extension appears to be enabled. Should I disable it to get PDF documents to read correctly?

Gerald

On 8/5/2019 10:32 PM, Tom Fairhurst wrote:

I???m getting in late on this thread, but I recall that I couldn???t find the Adobe add-on with the PC cursor. I found it with the touch cursor. I could then disable it. I can???t remember if I went b ack to the PC cursor to disable it or not. I say this because displaying all add-ons can be tricky.

??